Moving a staircase-How much £££ & Hassle

Hi all,

I have found a house to buy that i really like but the only problem is the bathroom is through the 2nd bedroom upstairs, At present the staircase runs from left to right with the bathroom being diagonally opposite the top of the stairs (Hope that makes Sense :o ) I was hoping someone would have an idea about how much it would cost to move the staircase from right to left so i can create a corridor straight to bathroom. Also do I need to get any planning permissions, reinforce any thing etc...

Cheers!

p.s. I am in South London/Surrey area...

Comments

• It shouldn't be too difficult a job but of course without seeing it,there may be hidden problems.Basically it is a case of reversing everything,forming a new stairwell in the existing joists and blocking up the old stairwell.You will almost certainly need planning permission and building regs.I would go to the local building control office and ask their advice.Somebody in the neighbourhood may have already done it and set a precedent.If you move the stairs they may deem them unsuitable to current regs or they may let you re-use them.Different authorities have different criteria.

Once the stairs are sorted,the wall is very straightforward studding and plasterboard.

The main problems to overcome on the stairs is sufficient headroom and a big enough landing area at the top of the stairs.
  • ems2
    ems2 Posts: 665
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I didnt think it would be such a big job... but thanks about the headroom tip, didnt even think that would be a problem... how high in the thousands do you think will cost?
  • NicolaC
    NicolaC Posts: 268 Forumite
    LOL... I saw the title and thought you wanted an escalator in your house! :rotfl:
    Most things in life are beyond our control,
    for everything else there is a spreadsheet
    ;)
    :D son#1 born 04/01/09 :D
    :D son#2 born 20/08/11 :D
  • It's hard to put a figure on a job without seeing it but it shouldn't cost thousands.Your best bet is to see building control about the feasibility first,see if you can get them to come to the house and have a look.Then armed with that information,you can get some builders in to quote.The question you have to ask is"how much do you want the house"? and would the present owners be happy with you trailing builders round their house.Otherwise it is a case of trying to buy the house and worrying about the stairs later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure