IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
2 storey extension, how much?
Closed Thread
Views: 126,787
# 1
Pauls
Old 24-04-2006, 10:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default 2 storey extension, how much?

Having revised our plans, we're now looking to get a 2 storey extension extension on the back of our house (4m*5.5m).

We'll need to take down 1 interior wall (approx 14ft) & part of what is currently an exterior wall (approx 7ft) and the new roof will be built into the existing roof. We'll also remove an old chimney stack while we're at it.

Our architect has agreed that everything we want is possible, but could anyone give us a rough idea of price?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Tom_Jones
Old 25-04-2006, 6:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Without seeing plans and spec I couldn't give you any idea of price, why don't you ask your architect for a general idea of the price
# 3
Pauls
Old 25-04-2006, 10:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We couldn't pin him down on it, said he just draws up the plans.

I'm really just after a very rough idea as to what it should cost to put up the shell (ie foundations, walls, roof etc)
# 4
woodbutcher
Old 28-04-2006, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Your architect should have a job price planner in the form of a book or C.D.Rom.I can't see why he hasn't.The only advice i can give is,to build a new house costs between 800 to 1200 per cubic metre depending on spec of the materials used.If we are talking about just the shell here then obviously it will be cheaper,say about 500 but that is a wild guess.It's very difficult to advise someone on a job you have not seen.

There are books available to work out job prices and they are available on the internet or advertised through magazines such as Homebuilding and Renovating.

Hope this helps a little.
# 5
beverleyhills
Old 28-04-2006, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Is your man a qualified architect?
'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
# 6
Pauls
Old 28-04-2006, 9:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cheers for your replies folks.............

The architect came by recommendation, he did a friends cousins plans 2 or 3 years ago. He currently works for a guy who does loft conversions. Seems a genuinley nice bloke.

btw. who stole the thanks button??
# 7
rabialiones
Old 25-05-2006, 8:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

hello, do you have to have planning permission?
one builder has told us that we dont need it for single storey, but will for double storey, and seems more keen on single storey, as he keeps asking if we will be selling house in future, which makes me a bit suspicious.
also he has quoted about 6k for single storey extension, which will be about 16ftx1oft approx. bearing in mind that we have neighbours wall either side, so there will be only one main wall to build at front of extension.
Nice to save.
# 8
nelly
Old 25-05-2006, 8:38 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Location: this is the longest location name in the history of planet earth you know. It really is isnt it :)
Send a message via MSN to nelly

Get shut of him now.

Phone an architect get them to look it over for you.
# 9
extensions
Old 15-02-2009, 10:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi everyone, we are thinking of building a 2 storey extension (glass and brick). Nothing fancy just one large room on the first storey and a dining area on the ground floor.

Does anyone know on average how much this might cost? We live in Scotland but we are willing to have building companies from all over the UK do this. Please help if you have any experience with this?
# 10
slummymummyof3
Old 15-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Unless you provide dimensions etc then it is virtually impossible to give any indication.
# 11
advent1122
Old 15-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

842.57p..... Give or take.
# 12
roses
Old 16-02-2009, 5:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by advent1122 View Post
842.57p..... Give or take.
I disagree. It's more like 6.52.
# 13
sujman
Old 17-02-2009, 6:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Average prices for the "shell" of the extension:

1,000 per square meter, single story
1,800 per square meter, double story

(note - this is footprint, not floor space)

Depending on the final size (the larger the extension, the lower the average cost), finished costs in the range of:

1,300 per square meter, single story
2,200 per square meter, double story

Last year I had a costing done for a 54 sq mt (footprint) extension.

Costs worked out to 2,150 per sq mtr, plus 10k for various internal alternations.

However, the 2.1k per sq mt over 54 sq mts, included 29k for electrics, plumbing, kitchens and bathrooms.

Right now, I am looking to have a 4m by 5m double storey extension. Including everything - new kitchen, bathroom, en-suite, moving front door and boiler etc etc - which is just about everything except carpets and curtains (!!), I am hoping for total costs to come to about 50k, inclding VAT. Here's hoping!!
# 14
seancannon
Old 17-02-2009, 10:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujman View Post
Average prices for the "shell" of the extension:

1,000 per square meter, single story
1,800 per square meter, double story

(note - this is footprint, not floor space)

Depending on the final size (the larger the extension, the lower the average cost), finished costs in the range of:

1,300 per square meter, single story
2,200 per square meter, double story

Last year I had a costing done for a 54 sq mt (footprint) extension.

Costs worked out to 2,150 per sq mtr, plus 10k for various internal alternations.

However, the 2.1k per sq mt over 54 sq mts, included 29k for electrics, plumbing, kitchens and bathrooms.

Right now, I am looking to have a 4m by 5m double storey extension. Including everything - new kitchen, bathroom, en-suite, moving front door and boiler etc etc - which is just about everything except carpets and curtains (!!), I am hoping for total costs to come to about 50k, inclding VAT. Here's hoping!!
it sounds a little bit of a tight budget but if you work with your building he can help you cut cost your purchases. i offen offer this to my clients it helps all concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to seancannon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
sujman
Old 19-02-2009, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancannon View Post
it sounds a little bit of a tight budget but if you work with your building he can help you cut cost your purchases. i offen offer this to my clients it helps all concerned.
Initial quotes would be based on the builder supplying just about all materials. I am hoping that for things like the kitchens / bathrooms etc, he will tell me what the "allowance" is for the cost of the items and hopefully I can get the same qulity for cheaper by doing my own research instead of using the builders own supplers.

Also, if the quotes includes cost for all other materials (brick and mortar etc) I was looking into ideas of buying all the materials myself and get discounts that way.

There have been a number of instances in my experience where a person has been convinced thet they can get the bext price as the have trade accounts and get discount etc etc but I have beaten the price for exactly the same thing.

http://national.homebuildingshow.co....cut-costs.aspx

Above article demonstrates that unless builders keep on top of their suppliers, their "trade discount" could be of no actual value to the end consumer.
Closed Thread