Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    rockykabir
    0 WOW
    Glasses....anyone buy from Selectspecs or eyewearcentre?
    • 23rd Apr 06, 4:20 PM
    0 WOW
    Glasses....anyone buy from Selectspecs or eyewearcentre? 23rd Apr 06 at 4:20 PM
    I'm looking to buy some glasses and I found the models I liked in www.selectspecs.com and www.eyewearcentre.com

I done a bit of research and it seems that SelectSpecs is based in Kent whereas EyewearCentre (also known as Giarre) is based in Italy. Both offer cheap/free delivery.

Has anyone had any experience with them? How are their build? - is it well made? and outta interest, does it include the original case?

For approximately the same price, Eyewearcentre offers super thin lense (refractive index = 1.67!) whereas with SelectSpecs, it's 1.60 (which is still v good) - hence why I am tending towards Eyewearcentre/Giarre. Would love to hear your experiences about them
Page 18
    • chrubble
    • By chrubble 28th Nov 16, 11:29 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    chrubble
    I've been having a terrible time with selectspecs. I ordered some glasses back in early October that they couldn't provide for 6 weeks, or something. So I cancelled and ordered with another company for quick dispatch. Selectspecs apologised and offered me a 10% discount on my next order. So, I thought I would take advantage of this and order a pair of prescription sunglasses in the same style as the original pair - But... The order process allowed me to complete without taking in to account that even tho they are sunglasses, a tint needed to be applied. So I corresponded with the ticketsupport team and sent them an alternative order for standard frames with tinted lenses - slightly cheaper than the sunglasses option ... Again, they couldn't provide the frames I ordered, so again in correspondence with ticketsupport I changed the frame choice. My glasses eventually arrived (mid-November), with the amended frames I had agreed to ... and clear lenses - Not the tints I ordered. No they appear to have completely stopped responding to me. I have requested to return them for amendment or refund. But, nothing. They have managed to fail in pretty much every respect as far as my interactions with them have been concerned. In their favour, they did get the prescription correct. But, not a great experience at all. **UPDATE** Shortly after making this post I received an apology and email containing a free return label for the incorrect glasses I received and the assurance that the correct original order had now been generated. So this has been resolved.
    Last edited by chrubble; 28-11-2016 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Update
    • edwintheelf
    • By edwintheelf 9th Dec 16, 4:56 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    edwintheelf
    Avoid!
    Ordered two pairs of glasses on 22 Oct. When eventually delivered one lens was broken.

Was told that I'd ordered the wrong lenses for the frames, even though they were a valid choice on the web site, and that I'd have to pay more to have the correct ones.

Only after threatening legal action (linked to fraudulent misrepresentation and Sale if Goods Act) did they offer to replace the lenses in both pairs as a 'goodwill gesture'.

Of the replacement pairs one turned up with a broken arm and had to be replaced, again. The final pairs received took until 8 December to arrive and both have warped frames and loose ear pieces that their customer service told me to get them "...adjusted by a local optician".

Altogether an awful and slow service.

Avoid.
    • Tish Kent
    • By Tish Kent 27th Apr 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tish Kent
    Avoid selectspecs if you need epensive lenses
    I have had the worse experience using Selectspecs. I need varifocals and this makes the glasses pricey - nearly £200 without designer frames. The coating on the lenses started to peel after 14-15 months and because this was outside the 12 month warranty period they could not care less, just expected me to buy another pair or have them reglazed. I actually went into their Westgate store and showed the glasses to the 3 staff members there who verified that it was definitely a problem with the coating. This was a flaw in the components not a break or due to anything I had done and I have spoken to other firms who have all said they would have done something about it. Have just sent an email asking if I could get a proper guarantee that if a similar problem occurred again it would be put right but they are only interested in providing a basic 12 month warrantee. I'm not paying that amount again to have glasses that last just over a year. It made my last pair the most expensive ever. I suggest you don't use them for anything that costs more than a very few £s.
    • Intermates
    • By Intermates 27th Apr 17, 4:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Intermates
    Avoid
    The worst customer service I have ever experienced. They sent the wrong prescription. I informed them straight away and they assured me I was wrong. I took the glasses to Specsavers and they clarified that they were +2 and not -2 as per my prescription. I took a photo of the Specsavers reading and sent to SelectSpecs. They still would not take my word for it and sent a form to be printed and the glasses to be returned. They then admitted they had sent the wrong prescription and it was their error. No apology. I had to chase them for a refund. No apology and no offer of contributing to my trip to Specsavers to clarify their error. I note that they report all bad reviews to Trustpilot and they therefore have them taken down to boost their ratings. No doubt this will happen to this review.
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 23rd Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    This thread is largely critical of SelectSpecs but the criticisms ended in April 2017.

Have Select Specs improved at all?

I saw they were cheaper than SuperDrug but used the exact same frames and similar web site. I am tempted to give them a go - but reading this I have misgivings. Whats the latest verdict people have on them?
  • SelectSpecs company representative
    Hi,

We're constantly making improvements where possible, but unfortunately there will always be some customers that have a poor experience, however, we try to rectify these issues where possible. We have made vast improvements over the past year and have some further developments within our lab and dispatch area coming online in the next few months.

We do collect reviews using Trust Pilot, this should give you a good idea of how customers are finding their experience at the moment.

Hope this helps. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask - we check back here in these forums when possible.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Select Specs. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter