Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Effervescent
    • By Effervescent 7th Aug 09, 10:03 AM
    • 83Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Effervescent
    0 WOW
    GalaHotels.com has anyone used this site?
    • 7th Aug 09, 10:03 AM
    0 WOW
    GalaHotels.com has anyone used this site? 7th Aug 09 at 10:03 AM
    Has anyone booked a hotel through GalaHotels.com? I received an email from them this week and the hotel prices look quite competitive. However I'm a bit wary of booking because of the prices and also there are no proper contact details i.e. address on the website.
Page 2
  • Ade Sands
    Right, just called their awful customer services. They insist it is booked, I called the hotel, they confirmed it. it looks like they take bookings via their website, book it through a 3rd party, then cream off a few quid for themselves. Not worth the nights worry and hassle that it creates when you use this outfit. I'd far rather spend an extra few quid for peace of mind. Would not recommend.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 12th Dec 13, 5:57 PM
    • 5,652 Posts
    • 3,615 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    In your case, I dont really see what the problem is. Booked a room. Got a room.
  • oldgitinspain
    Now worried
    Another story as above 944 € for a non-available booking in Krakow.
    It is still happening in 2014.
    No refund, no replies, non existent customer service on Spanish number just an answer machine.
    Probably have to wave goodbye to the money
    Don't touch Galahotels.com. Stay well clear
  • oldgitinspain
    Got the money back!
    It took a week but I got my money back. Now much relieved.
    I posted a review on Trustpilot and got an immediate reply. Promising to return the money. 5 days later it arrived in my bank.
    If you get caught by these people then make a fuss wherever you can because they don't reply to mails or answer the customer service line (at least not the Spanish one)
    Why did they take payment when they knew there was no availability? And worse why did they try to take a second payment for the alternative hotel? Thinking about it we have no reason to believe the second hotel was available either.
    Strongly advise to withhold payment until booking confirmed by the hotel. They don't allow that then walk away. Booking.com only for me in future.
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 25th Aug 14, 11:03 PM
    • 5,782 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    hcb42
    i use agencies for research but always go direct. - safer in the travel world!
  • Damir
    Be very careful with Gala hotels
    Beware of Gala Hotels, our hotel turned out to be 20 km from the advertised place. It basically ruined our vacation.
  • KJK1705
    Caution with Gala Hotels
    I work for a worldwide hotel chain and am having problems with Galahotels advertising cheap rates for one of my hotels which I have not agreed with them. I have no idea where they got this price from, we will not honour any reservations booked on this rate, they don't have rooms booked with us, and of course I cannot get through to anyone on their published phone number to try to investigate or put a stop to this.

My advice is to avoid- if a hotel deal looks to good to be true, it usually is!
    • SW17
    • By SW17 27th Oct 14, 2:12 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    SW17
    I work for a worldwide hotel chain and am having problems with Galahotels advertising cheap rates for one of my hotels which I have not agreed with them.
    Originally posted by KJK1705
    So your complaint is that they are getting round your online Best Rate Guarantee (would some call that price fixing? I couldn't possibly comment), and offering customers a competitive price...given that this website is dedicated to people who wish to save money and get the best deal, you are probably in the wrong place for sympathy (however justified you may be contractually). Galahotels may not be perfect, but they have been trading successfully for a long time, as evidenced by the length of this thread.

If you would like to be more angry, suggest you check out the thread dedicated to cracking the code of which hotel is which on your opaque rates...
    Last edited by SW17; 27-10-2014 at 2:16 PM.
  • Dogzville
    Gala hotels
    I have been using them for years and find them excellent. I would highly recommend them.
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 14th Nov 14, 6:10 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 2,216 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    So you think forum users will believe a new poster who drags up an old thread to say how wonderful this company is?

Well think again the users are not that thick.
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 16th Dec 14, 9:30 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,992 Thanks
    Karonher
    Bookings
    I have just booked through these tonight and after reading a few reviews I decided to check up a bit more and was quite worried seeing this and a number of other sites criticising them.

I have contacted the hotel and been told the reservation has been made, so while I am not dismissing the complaints that have been made it seems that they are not all bad.
    Last edited by Karonher; 16-12-2014 at 9:34 PM. Reason: typos
    Getting ready for Christmas 2017

Aiming to make £4,500 online in 2017.
  • Normgley
    Hello All...
    Well, As far as I can tell, the Gala Hotel booking website is legit – BUT the only time that I tried to use it, it was extremely frustrating to use, and I was unable to book on it... I'd traveled back to Bangkok from Koh Chang in Thailand in the evening, and had just one night to stay before returning home on my long overseas flight near noon the next day... I did not have any advance booked room, however a Hotel that I had used before along the airport Link Skytrain (Nasa Vegas) had very competitive rates only when booked on-line (one can just book from an Internet Cafe nearby)... I searched on-line for the best rate which was at Gala (about 15 % better than Agoda)... Also, one is able to even book the same evening (which was necessary for me)... The booking started quite smoothly & routine until the time of payment by credit card... The very "final" step involved "verification" of my credit card (I had already entered the security digits from the back and my card was definitely OK)... So I was waiting & waiting while the screen told me "transaction pending"...After about 20 minutes or so, I contacted Gala via their customer service chat utility... I learned that Gala has one final step where they contact the credit card company, which then phones the card holder at their home to verify... Whaaaaa??? How can they do that when I am on vacation on the other side of the globe??? So the result was no booking possible (except by paying a 15-20% higher rate at the hotel desk!!! So, since I was already near the Airport Link Skytrain, and I only needed an overnight bed (for about 12 hours, I decided to just go to the airport and sleep there – which I did, with no problems... My verdict on Gala Hotels on-line booking system is that it can be very frustrating to use... They do Not have a North American contact number, closest English one is country code 44 (England) – and later I also learned that their headquarters are in Turkey... I then tried phoning them from home, but I had to wait a Very long time without response, so I just ended that wasted long distance call... Those were my 2 frustrating experiences with Gala Hotels... I later learned that my card was not charged
    • SW17
    • By SW17 18th Feb 15, 4:23 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    SW17
    Also, one is able to even book the same evening (which was necessary for me)... The booking started quite smoothly & routine until the time of payment by credit card... The very "final" step involved "verification" of my credit card (I had already entered the security digits from the back and my card was definitely OK)... So I was waiting & waiting while the screen told me "transaction pending"...After about 20 minutes or so, I contacted Gala via their customer service chat utility... I learned that Gala has one final step where they contact the credit card company, which then phones the card holder at their home to verify... Whaaaaa??? How can they do that when I am on vacation on the other side of the globe??? So the result was no booking possible (except by paying a 15-20% higher rate at the hotel desk!!!
    Originally posted by Normgley
    I suspect this happened because it was a "same day" booking, the credit card fraud rate is a lot higher on such bookings so they would make additional checks. Still, not exactly a smooth process given that they do accept same day bookings, but as you say, your card was not charged.
    • calvino.pf
    • By calvino.pf 15th Mar 16, 2:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    calvino.pf
    It looks like troubles are continuing with this company.
    On Feb 22nd I booked through their website a hotel in Gothenburg for next June. I got immediately a confirmation, and I payed my reservation in advance.
    The next day I got an e-mail cancelling my reservation and saying I would get the refund automatically.
    Today, March 15th, after many e-mails and pone calls on which I have been told the refund was made on March 3rd, I still have received NO money back.
    Totally unreliable folks!
    • cebjoyce
    • By cebjoyce 30th Aug 16, 12:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cebjoyce
    Worst company ever
    Last week i made a reservation with Gala for a hotel in Santorini in which i was part of a wedding party.
    I paid in full and I paid in full which came out of my account immediately and received the confirmations, I was asked to email back acceptance of the no cancellation policy which I did. 3 days later I received another email which said that my reservation was cancelled due to lost availability, I tried to call the number for most of the day and could not get through, it gives you options then hangs up on you right away.
    I got in contact by replying to the email then they called me. The lady on the phone was calling from Turkey and was rude and dismissive, didn’t want to listen to what I was saying or my questions and didn’t apologise once, she said there was nothing they could do and it was the hotel and there was lack of availability.
    I contacted the hotel and they said it was not them who had cancelled the booking.
    I then used the website live chat, it seemed like an illiterate child speaking on the other side they wanted to call me again but I said I wanted a UK number to call.
    After speaking to them in the UK they told me it was because the price of the hotel had gone up so they moved me into a different hotel that was the correct price for what I had paid. Even though I had paid in full – surely this is illegal?
    The customer service rep agreed this was wrong but said that “ he couldn’t do anything”
    A few days passed and I went back on the website to check and they are still selling the hotel rooms at a higher price – even though they said there was no availability, again I have just been back onto live chat and waited 40 mins for someone to get back to me. I explained the situation and they relied with “ you already called us” they simply do not care.
    Apparently my payment had been refunded but there is still no sign of that yet.
    My advice would be to not book with Gala Hotels what so ever!

I am now left out of the hotel that the rest of teh wedding party are staying in! Discusting company and customer service!
    • worn out
    • By worn out 7th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    worn out
    I've booked a London Hotel via gala even though all other websites and the hotel said it was full, to check I then rang hotel to confirm they had received the booking and I had a room reserved..all was ok and confirmed. No problem...Gala seem to have been operating for a number of years now and seem to be able to get rooms booked even when the hotel itself says they're full up... Maybe I'm doubling up with someone..? .I'll come back if there are any issues with the booking at the end of this month...meanwhile I'll just be ringing the hotel tomorrow to get their booking reference number for me, just to be sure...
    • Westin
    • By Westin 7th Oct 16, 3:07 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    Westin
    I've booked a London Hotel via gala even though all other websites and the hotel said it was full, to check I then rang hotel to confirm they had received the booking and I had a room reserved..all was ok and confirmed. No problem...Gala seem to have been operating for a number of years now and seem to be able to get rooms booked even when the hotel itself says they're full up... Maybe I'm doubling up with someone..? .I'll come back if there are any issues with the booking at the end of this month...meanwhile I'll just be ringing the hotel tomorrow to get their booking reference number for me, just to be sure...
    Originally posted by worn out
    They will have contracted an allocation block of rooms and will have booked you from that allotment. Perfectly fine. Have a nice break.
    • AMARIAH
    • By AMARIAH 2nd May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AMARIAH
    Gala Hotels is A Scam
    I booked an pre-paid for the full amount for a room using Gala hotels, I then tried to call to amend the date none of their numbers work, I did a Google search and found plenty negative reviews online, in regards to them being a fraudulent company, I also called and checked with the hotel I had booked on Gala's website and they have no record of this booking. Do not use this company, it's a SCAM
    • AMARIAH
    • By AMARIAH 2nd May 17, 1:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AMARIAH
    I booked an pre-paid for the full amount for a room using Gala hotels, I then tried to call to amend the date none of their numbers work, I did a Google search and found plenty negative reviews online, in regards to them being a fraudulent company, I also called and checked with the hotel I had booked on Gala's website and they have no record of this booking. Do not use this company, it's a SCAM
    • Loren Fuell
    • By Loren Fuell 9th Sep 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loren Fuell
    Never use gala hotels
    I booked this hotel with Gala Hotels and although during the booking it was clear I would receive my voucher immediately. This was not the case, I did not receive my voucher. Therefore I phoned the hotel to ensure the booking was successful and I was told they had no conformation for this booking. When I phoned gala hotels about this, they said it can take a maximum of 3 days for the booking to be sent to the hotel, and assured me there was no problem and they would contact me when it had gone through. They didn't. I waited 3 days and the hotel still hadn't received my booking so I phoned again and explained this. They finally sent the voucher through and told me they had also sent conformation to the hotel, except when I again contacted the hotel they still hadn't received anything. The hotel then contacted gala hotels and the never got back to them and they had no luck tracking down my booking.
    Today I phoned again, and I was disgusted with the agents attitude towards me. He was rude, he raised his voice at me and wasn't helpful at all at sorting this out. Throughout this entire situation, I have remained calm but as you can imagine my patience was running out. They have taken my money, told me i have a hotel booked when in fact i don't. The gentleman on the phone refused to give me the contact details of the supplier, so I could call myself, and he also refused to explain to me why and how my booking has been dealt with so poorly.
    I terminated the phone call because I refuse to be spoken to with so much disrespect.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

4,005Users online

Martin's Twitter