Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Bendybops19
    • 21st Apr 06, 10:37 AM
    • 21st Apr 06, 10:37 AM
    I bought a cat C write off. Basically, if the insurance company thinks that repairing it will cost more than the actual car, they will write it off. But the owner can buy the car back off the insurance company if they do this and get the repairs done themselves.

Which is what the guy did with the car i bought. After the car has been reapired it has to go through a special long MOT, so make sure it has had this done.

It is a little unnerving that the person didnt declare it was a Cat D tho, but then they guy i got my car from didnt either :rolleyes:

Get the car checked over fully, make sure it had all the correct checks after the repairs and he has all the paper work. If your happy, go for it!! Being a cat D, you should get alot of money knocked off!

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

• Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 21st Apr 06, 11:56 AM
    • 941 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 21st Apr 06, 11:56 AM
    • 21st Apr 06, 11:56 AM
    Can you post the exact details of the car please, I will let you know it's real worth.
    Alex
  • carl310166
    • 21st Apr 06, 12:28 PM
    • 21st Apr 06, 12:28 PM
    I have been thinking about buying a cat D motorbike from a workmate of mine,i have seen the bike,and i know what work has been done etc.

I had a look on this site http://www.car-crime.com/salvage_category.htm
    and i asked other people.

There will not be any problems insuring the bike,BUT if you are involved in an accident in the future,they will not be able to obtain a true value for the vehicle,so be carefull.

That is my understanding anyway.
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • martyn95
    • 22nd Apr 06, 6:20 PM
    • 22nd Apr 06, 6:20 PM
    I have seen a car that I really like....Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 04 Plate...with 36,000 miles on the clock....Really liked it when I saw it....haggled to £4700...was going to go and give the money today...Just paid for a Car Check to be sure...and found out it was "recorded as a Cat D write-off on 3 Nov 2005"......Now im really confused because I really like the car......Any advice?
    by unknown_786
    ---------------------------

Best to stay clear as you may have difficulty selling it.

However it is the best category.

Cat 'A' Total Burn out - crushed
    Cat 'B, To be stripped of parts & then crushed
    Cat 'C' Repairs exceed pre accident value
    Cat 'D' Meansit was a constructive total loss & repairs did not exceed its pre accident value.

Regards

Martyn
  • martyn95
    • 22nd Apr 06, 6:22 PM
    • 22nd Apr 06, 6:22 PM
    I have seen a car that I really like....Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 04 Plate...with 36,000 miles on the clock....Really liked it when I saw it....haggled to £4700...was going to go and give the money today...Just paid for a Car Check to be sure...and found out it was "recorded as a Cat D write-off on 3 Nov 2005"......Now im really confused because I really like the car......Any advice?
    by unknown_786
    ------------------
    Also , when buying a car get a HPi check carried out.
  • woodall001
    • 14th Jul 06, 10:06 AM
    • 14th Jul 06, 10:06 AM
    I have a cat D vehicle. It was repaird to 100% (just panel damage) I have not told my insurance company it was cat D when insuring it, as I was not asked.

I am now selling the vehicle, and the buyer is having trouble getting insurance, her insurance company Direct Line want an AA Vehicle Inspection, is this common?

Is it a legal requirement to tell your insurance company that a vehicle was listed as cat D?
  • little miss thrifty
    • 14th Jul 06, 10:47 AM
    • 14th Jul 06, 10:47 AM
    [QUOTE=carl310166

There will not be any problems insuring the bike,BUT if you are involved in an accident in the future,they will not be able to obtain a true value for the vehicle,so be carefull.

That is my understanding anyway.[/QUOTE]

Insurance companies usually take a % off the final value, if the vehicle has been categorised.
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - £536.02 £336.02
  • little miss thrifty
    • 14th Jul 06, 10:50 AM
    • 14th Jul 06, 10:50 AM
    ------------------
    Also , when buying a car get a HPi check carried out.
    by martyn95

You could do, but in our case (see my thread 'HPI, waste of money, what's the point?') the Hpi check was a complete waste of time and ended up costing us more in losses! Never believe what is printed!!

LMT x
    12/31 NSD

CC - £536.02 £336.02
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 14th Jul 06, 3:57 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    chrisw
    It might be a good buy if it's been properly repaired and you're intending to keep it for several years.

Just a thought, but make sure you are actually buying the repaired one and somebody hasn't switched the plates to an identical stolen vehicle. If it turns out to be stolen, you will lose the lot.
  • Jorgan
    Buying a cat D shouldn't be a problem as long as its been repaired properly. Make sure you are paying less than market value for the car & remember this when selling. If its got all the paper work, you shouldn't have a problem. It doesn't have had to be in accident, either. Mate of mine bought a cat D Jag XJS convertible. Previous owner had left it parked with the hood down & some low life decided to pour 4 or 5 cans of paint over the interrior.
  • tazdevil1211
    carl310166: Did you ever get your Cat D motorbike? The reason im asking is i too am looking at a cat D bike & would appreciate any advice you could give with regards any paperwork that needs checking, things to look for etc. :confused:
    • rdwarr
    • By rdwarr 10th Sep 06, 5:16 PM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 6,498 Thanks
    rdwarr
    I have a cat D vehicle. It was repaird to 100% (just panel damage) I have not told my insurance company it was cat D when insuring it, as I was not asked.
    by woodall001
    You're on dodgy ground there. You have to declare anything that may affect the condition or value of the vehicle otherwise you may find you're not insured when you need it. If you do claim they will then look at the HPI register and find out anyway.
    Not being asked is, sadly, no excuse. If they asked all possible questions it would take all year to fill out a quotation request
    If you feel it won't make a difference to the policy cost then you may as well just tell them. If you feel it will make a difference then you're withholding information. In either case honesty gives the best policy.
    Last edited by rdwarr; 10-09-2006 at 5:18 PM.
    Can I help?
    • withabix
    • By withabix 10th Sep 06, 6:34 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    The insurance companies will KNOW it is a Category D Write-Off. The owner may well not know. There is no obligation TO know.

There is also NO obligation to notify that it was written off. Being 'written off' for Categories C and D is only a financial calculation.

If it was Category A or B, this would show on vehicle databases and the insurance would likely be refused anyway.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • little miss thrifty
    If it was Category A or B, this would show on vehicle databases and the insurance would likely be refused anyway.
    by iainkirk
    If it was Cat A or B, it shouldn't be on the road, so won't need insurance!!
    12/31 NSD

CC - £536.02 £336.02
  • janet73
    cat. D write off
    hi,
    also have the same dilemna , bought a car, wasnt told it was cat.D write off, seller claims there was no structural damage, the car drives perfectly,
    who can give me an advice on insurance,as the opinions online are so different saying that you do have to let them know and saying you dont. who is right.pls. advice asap
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 21st May 08, 2:18 PM
    • 3,564 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    aardvaak
    I have been thinking about buying a cat D motorbike from a workmate of mine,i have seen the bike,and i know what work has been done etc.

I had a look on this site http://www.car-crime.com/salvage_category.htm
    and i asked other people.

That is my understanding anyway.
    Originally posted by carl310166
    The webpage cannot be found
  • raskazz
    It's common that insurers will ask for an engineer's report before covering a vehicle that has been a previous total loss. Some will only give third-party only cover or Road Traffic Act cover until this is provided.

The vehicle must have also passed a vehicle identity check (VIC) if it was write-off category A, B or C.

Your main concern with a category D total loss is that the vehicle is maintained in a roadworthy condition, and even if it was repaired fully then be aware that the market value of the car is reduced and hence any payout from an insurer will also be reduced.
    • vaio
    • By vaio 21st May 08, 10:11 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    vaio
    It's common that insurers will ask for an engineer's report before covering a vehicle that has been a previous total loss. Some will only give third-party only cover or Road Traffic Act cover until this is provided.

The vehicle must have also passed a vehicle identity check (VIC) if it was write-off category A, B or C.

Your main concern with a category D total loss is that the vehicle is maintained in a roadworthy condition, and even if it was repaired fully then be aware that the market value of the car is reduced and hence any payout from an insurer will also be reduced.
    Originally posted by raskazz
    Only cat C need the VIC, cat A & B can’t be repaired and cat D doesn’t need the check
  • raskazz
    Only cat C need the VIC, cat A & B can’t be repaired and cat D doesn’t need the check
    Originally posted by vaio
    Although under the current rules category A and B write-offs shouldn't be returned to the road, the procedure in dealing with write-offs was changed in 2003 IIRC, and so in theory category B write offs from before the changes can still be on the road. It is these that would still have had to pass the VIC.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,667Posts Today

6,299Users online

Martin's Twitter