IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cat D write-off?
Views: 149,178
# 1
unknown_786
Old 21-04-2006, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy Cat D write-off?

I have seen a car that I really like....Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 04 Plate...with 36,000 miles on the clock....Really liked it when I saw it....haggled to 4700...was going to go and give the money today...Just paid for a Car Check to be sure...and found out it was "recorded as a Cat D write-off on 3 Nov 2005"......Now im really confused because I really like the car......Any advice?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to unknown_786 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Bendybops19
Old 21-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I bought a cat C write off. Basically, if the insurance company thinks that repairing it will cost more than the actual car, they will write it off. But the owner can buy the car back off the insurance company if they do this and get the repairs done themselves.

Which is what the guy did with the car i bought. After the car has been reapired it has to go through a special long MOT, so make sure it has had this done.

It is a little unnerving that the person didnt declare it was a Cat D tho, but then they guy i got my car from didnt either :rolleyes:

Get the car checked over fully, make sure it had all the correct checks after the repairs and he has all the paper work. If your happy, go for it!! Being a cat D, you should get alot of money knocked off!

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

The Following User Says Thank You to Bendybops19 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
alcot33uk
Old 21-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Can you post the exact details of the car please, I will let you know it's real worth.
Alex
The Following User Says Thank You to alcot33uk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
carl310166
Old 21-04-2006, 12:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have been thinking about buying a cat D motorbike from a workmate of mine,i have seen the bike,and i know what work has been done etc.

I had a look on this site http://www.car-crime.com/salvage_category.htm
and i asked other people.

There will not be any problems insuring the bike,BUT if you are involved in an accident in the future,they will not be able to obtain a true value for the vehicle,so be carefull.

That is my understanding anyway.
Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carl310166 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
martyn95
Old 22-04-2006, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_786
I have seen a car that I really like....Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 04 Plate...with 36,000 miles on the clock....Really liked it when I saw it....haggled to 4700...was going to go and give the money today...Just paid for a Car Check to be sure...and found out it was "recorded as a Cat D write-off on 3 Nov 2005"......Now im really confused because I really like the car......Any advice?
---------------------------

Best to stay clear as you may have difficulty selling it.

However it is the best category.

Cat 'A' Total Burn out - crushed
Cat 'B, To be stripped of parts & then crushed
Cat 'C' Repairs exceed pre accident value
Cat 'D' Meansit was a constructive total loss & repairs did not exceed its pre accident value.

Regards

Martyn
# 6
martyn95
Old 22-04-2006, 6:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_786
------------------
Also , when buying a car get a HPi check carried out.
# 7
woodall001
Old 14-07-2006, 10:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have a cat D vehicle. It was repaird to 100% (just panel damage) I have not told my insurance company it was cat D when insuring it, as I was not asked.

I am now selling the vehicle, and the buyer is having trouble getting insurance, her insurance company Direct Line want an AA Vehicle Inspection, is this common?

Is it a legal requirement to tell your insurance company that a vehicle was listed as cat D?
# 8
little miss thrifty
Old 14-07-2006, 10:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

[QUOTE=carl310166

There will not be any problems insuring the bike,BUT if you are involved in an accident in the future,they will not be able to obtain a true value for the vehicle,so be carefull.

That is my understanding anyway.[/QUOTE]

Insurance companies usually take a % off the final value, if the vehicle has been categorised.
Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
12/31 NSD

CC - 536.02 336.02
# 9
little miss thrifty
Old 14-07-2006, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn95
------------------
Also , when buying a car get a HPi check carried out.

You could do, but in our case (see my thread 'HPI, waste of money, what's the point?') the Hpi check was a complete waste of time and ended up costing us more in losses! Never believe what is printed!!

LMT x
12/31 NSD

CC - 536.02 336.02
# 10
chrisw
Old 14-07-2006, 3:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It might be a good buy if it's been properly repaired and you're intending to keep it for several years.

Just a thought, but make sure you are actually buying the repaired one and somebody hasn't switched the plates to an identical stolen vehicle. If it turns out to be stolen, you will lose the lot.
# 11
Jorgan
Old 15-07-2006, 1:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Buying a cat D shouldn't be a problem as long as its been repaired properly. Make sure you are paying less than market value for the car & remember this when selling. If its got all the paper work, you shouldn't have a problem. It doesn't have had to be in accident, either. Mate of mine bought a cat D Jag XJS convertible. Previous owner had left it parked with the hood down & some low life decided to pour 4 or 5 cans of paint over the interrior.
# 12
tazdevil1211
Old 10-09-2006, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Red face

carl310166: Did you ever get your Cat D motorbike? The reason im asking is i too am looking at a cat D bike & would appreciate any advice you could give with regards any paperwork that needs checking, things to look for etc. :confused:
# 13
rdwarr
Old 10-09-2006, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodall001
I have a cat D vehicle. It was repaird to 100% (just panel damage) I have not told my insurance company it was cat D when insuring it, as I was not asked.
You're on dodgy ground there. You have to declare anything that may affect the condition or value of the vehicle otherwise you may find you're not insured when you need it. If you do claim they will then look at the HPI register and find out anyway.
Not being asked is, sadly, no excuse. If they asked all possible questions it would take all year to fill out a quotation request
If you feel it won't make a difference to the policy cost then you may as well just tell them. If you feel it will make a difference then you're withholding information. In either case honesty gives the best policy.
Can I help?

Last edited by rdwarr; 10-09-2006 at 5:18 PM.
# 14
withabix
Old 10-09-2006, 6:34 PM

The insurance companies will KNOW it is a Category D Write-Off. The owner may well not know. There is no obligation TO know.

There is also NO obligation to notify that it was written off. Being 'written off' for Categories C and D is only a financial calculation.

If it was Category A or B, this would show on vehicle databases and the insurance would likely be refused anyway.
Every Little Helps me fly the world with Tesco!

BA Avios current balance: Approx 350,000
# 15
little miss thrifty
Old 14-09-2006, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainkirk
If it was Category A or B, this would show on vehicle databases and the insurance would likely be refused anyway.
If it was Cat A or B, it shouldn't be on the road, so won't need insurance!!
12/31 NSD

CC - 536.02 336.02
# 16
janet73
Old 21-05-2008, 2:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default cat. D write off

hi,
also have the same dilemna , bought a car, wasnt told it was cat.D write off, seller claims there was no structural damage, the car drives perfectly,
who can give me an advice on insurance,as the opinions online are so different saying that you do have to let them know and saying you dont. who is right.pls. advice asap
# 17
aardvaak
Old 21-05-2008, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl310166 View Post
I have been thinking about buying a cat D motorbike from a workmate of mine,i have seen the bike,and i know what work has been done etc.

I had a look on this site http://www.car-crime.com/salvage_category.htm
and i asked other people.

That is my understanding anyway.
The webpage cannot be found
# 18
raskazz
Old 21-05-2008, 2:44 PM

It's common that insurers will ask for an engineer's report before covering a vehicle that has been a previous total loss. Some will only give third-party only cover or Road Traffic Act cover until this is provided.

The vehicle must have also passed a vehicle identity check (VIC) if it was write-off category A, B or C.

Your main concern with a category D total loss is that the vehicle is maintained in a roadworthy condition, and even if it was repaired fully then be aware that the market value of the car is reduced and hence any payout from an insurer will also be reduced.
# 19
vaio
Old 21-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskazz View Post
It's common that insurers will ask for an engineer's report before covering a vehicle that has been a previous total loss. Some will only give third-party only cover or Road Traffic Act cover until this is provided.

The vehicle must have also passed a vehicle identity check (VIC) if it was write-off category A, B or C.

Your main concern with a category D total loss is that the vehicle is maintained in a roadworthy condition, and even if it was repaired fully then be aware that the market value of the car is reduced and hence any payout from an insurer will also be reduced.
Only cat C need the VIC, cat A & B cant be repaired and cat D doesnt need the check
# 20
raskazz
Old 22-05-2008, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio View Post
Only cat C need the VIC, cat A & B can’t be repaired and cat D doesn’t need the check
Although under the current rules category A and B write-offs shouldn't be returned to the road, the procedure in dealing with write-offs was changed in 2003 IIRC, and so in theory category B write offs from before the changes can still be on the road. It is these that would still have had to pass the VIC.
The Following User Says Thank You to raskazz For This Useful Post: Show me >>