IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
scottish power
Closed Thread
Views: 26,437
# 321
lolly5648
Old 27-09-2009, 5:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanks, that was a quick reply - I have had something in pending for 18 days so far and wondered how long it would be before it switched to confirmed status. I suppose every retailer is different but wondered how long to leave it before chasing.
# 322
gjs1701
Old 27-09-2009, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlies_mum View Post
gjs - my electricity switched over on 6th September and I received my cheque on 23rd September.
Thanks. My electric switched on 28th August, was in credit but I haven't recieved a cheque. And I'm still waiting for a final gas bill.
# 323
Snow_Man_UK
Old 28-09-2009, 12:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

As you will note by my post count, I don't usually post here! However, I just wanted to add that I will be switching from SP as a matter of principle. Trying to sneak me on to a tariff with a cancellation fee Grrrrrrrr
# 324
joe134
Old 28-09-2009, 1:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Man_UK View Post
As you will note by my post count, I don't usually post here! However, I just wanted to add that I will be switching from SP as a matter of principle. Trying to sneak me on to a tariff with a cancellation fee Grrrrrrrr
Hi, As a long served customer of SP, I have been very critical of them on this thread. However, today , they surprised me, as I changed to Freshstart when my 09 fixed rate expired in august,this tariff, although not available to all, is standard-5% and guarantees to match their lowest deal at any given time. As they have just brought out saver7, this tariff is 90 cheaper than freshstart, and I have just received a phone call from them to say my rate will match saver7, and no penalties apply.This is still slightly higher than EDF but I don,t have the hassle of moving.Give credit where it,s due. SP have fulfilled their pledge and I shall be staying put,. Craig, I appologise.
# 325
ragjoy
Old 28-09-2009, 2:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe134 View Post
Hi, As a long served customer of SP, I have been very critical of them on this thread. However, today , they surprised me, as I changed to Freshstart when my 09 fixed rate expired in august,this tariff, although not available to all, is standard-5% and guarantees to match their lowest deal at any given time. As they have just brought out saver7, this tariff is 90 cheaper than freshstart, and I have just received a phone call from them to say my rate will match saver7, and no penalties apply.This is still slightly higher than EDF but I don,t have the hassle of moving.Give credit where it,s due. SP have fulfilled their pledge and I shall be staying put,. Craig, I appologise.
well thats great for you,but its a bit late in the day really for most of us.
# 326
ANGLICANPAT
Old 28-09-2009, 2:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well Lady_K according to the Scottish Power Rep I eventually got this morning, its not at all confusing!!!! It went something like this. Me " Im on Premier plus and I cant find that package mentioned, to do comparisons . "" SP "Premier Plus just means DD" me- Oh, ok, but how do I know what the package is?" SP "Ive just said - it means Direct Debit - all premier plus are DD " me-" Yes I understood that, are you saying that Premier plus is also the name of the package?" SP "Yes its an ordinary package -you just fill in that you want to pay by DD and the options will come up." me - but it doesnt come up , theres no Premier Plus there ! SP - "It is! its just an ordinary DD !!!!"
All that just to get to the point where Im presuming I just put 'standard' in the rate Im on - havent looked yet if thats an option for a single fuel, I hope so anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_K View Post
Scottish Power Rep please advise

That is what I would like to know too, its not on scottish powers website either how confusing is that!

My daughter is on both elec and gas premier plus I tried to find it on uswitch and had to choose duel fuel online. If there is a rep here please enlighten us. I want to know if there is a cheaper package with scottish power without a tie in to contract as daughter may not be in the property for a year or is she on the cheapest? shes on fixed direct debit for both.

Does moving house cancel out any contract without charge please?

The uswitch search when selecting duel fuel online as there was no premier plus option came up with the cheaper option of " Online Energy Saver 7 Dual Fuel from ScottishPower " but is that better than the premier plus shes on please?
# 327
joe134
Old 28-09-2009, 2:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragjoy View Post
well thats great for you,but its a bit late in the day really for most of us.
Yes, I know, I was about to move myself today if SP didn,t agree to honour their word.They were wrong in what they have done, it,s a pity they didn,t treat all their customers with respect. they would not have had the mass exodus that they have had.I have held out for so long expecting them to bring in a new tariff, i have logged it enough, and they have. It,s not the best by far, but it,s not the worst.I have always been a happy punter till they brought the 09 penalty in, that is bad practise, and they are not the only company doing it; If for any reason they do not treat me with the respect that all customers should have I will be off;However, as I have changed several times, I find most companies are similar,stop the cashbacks and this thread would be very short, thats the problem, cashbacks,no loyalty bonus, you can go on the saver7, or is the cashback the real incentive, not the tariff.? The "tarts", not implying you are one have a lot to answer for, and the companies themselves have instigated the "tarts".Nothing wrong with fines if you know they are there

Last edited by joe134; 28-09-2009 at 2:32 PM.
# 328
joe134
Old 28-09-2009, 4:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default re-moving

If you are thinking of moving company, beware, as companies can now put up their gas prices 2 months without notifying customers, so what you see on comparison sites for gas, may not be what you get when change over applies.I have notified the main board so MSE should Highlight this fact, Which et.al know about it.And you think SP are underhand?
# 329
smileyt
Old 28-09-2009, 7:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default SP have locked me in!

Aaargh I am FURIOUS! I have just received an e-mail from SP saying they have put me on the locked in tarriff until August 2010. I ticked the 'no thanks' option on the original e-mail. And it isn't even the 30 September yet.

I have sent them a very snotty e-mail but I am fuming. How dare they? I have mental health problems and this kind of thing doesn't help, I am nearly in tears here with frustration and distress at the amount of time it will take them to sort it out, if they ever do.

It's perhaps just as well we're not allowed to swear on here.

: (
# 330
joe134
Old 29-09-2009, 9:28 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyt View Post
Aaargh I am FURIOUS! I have just received an e-mail from SP saying they have put me on the locked in tarriff until August 2010. I ticked the 'no thanks' option on the original e-mail. And it isn't even the 30 September yet.

I have sent them a very snotty e-mail but I am fuming. How dare they? I have mental health problems and this kind of thing doesn't help, I am nearly in tears here with frustration and distress at the amount of time it will take them to sort it out, if they ever do.

It's perhaps just as well we're not allowed to swear on here.

: (
Do not rely on E-mails, phone them 0800400200, they cannot lock you in if you phone today and opt out.Why e=mail when the phone is free?do it today;they have spam boxes too, exept ther,s is more convenient than yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe134 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 331
kittie
Old 29-09-2009, 10:28 AM

I would love to go onto online saver 7 but can`t do it without penalty as I am on discounted energy online nsc july 2010

Its a pity as I was getting to like SP. Oh well
# 332
Karmacat
Old 29-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Do not rely on E-mails, phone them 0800400200, they cannot lock you in if you phone today and opt out.Why e=mail when the phone is free?do it today;they have spam boxes too, exept ther,s is more convenient than yours.
I'm a Scottish Power customer..... I just phoned them on this number, and after several toings and froings, they said I could go onto Energy Saver 7 now, a discount of at least 3% from my present rate; obviously its variable, and my present rate isn't, but they also said that there are no charges for changing between SP products at the moment.........
Your destiny does not care about your past: live in abundance
# 333
KTF
Old 29-09-2009, 12:07 PM

I emailed them the other day asking to change from Energy 6 to Energy 7 and was told that there would be a 50 charge because I would be changing before the July 2010 end date.

If there is no charge to change products at the moment then the left hand isn't talking to the right.
# 334
Karmacat
Old 29-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'm just out of the lock in period............. sorry they're giving you such a raw deal .....
Your destiny does not care about your past: live in abundance
# 335
joe134
Old 29-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTF View Post
I emailed them the other day asking to change from Energy 6 to Energy 7 and was told that there would be a 50 charge because I would be changing before the July 2010 end date.

If there is no charge to change products at the moment then the left hand isn't talking to the right.
That,s why you are better ringing on freephone, e-mails just generate an automatic response, NO,however, talking to someone just might persuade them to say YES. In your case though, to be fair, you are pretty well locked in till 2010, they are feeling the pinch with so many leaving.It,s worth a try, best of luck
# 336
sharonB
Old 29-09-2009, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
That,s why you are better ringing on freephone, e-mails just generate an automatic response, NO,however, talking to someone just might persuade them to say YES. In your case though, to be fair, you are pretty well locked in till 2010, they are feeling the pinch with so many leaving.It,s worth a try, best of luck
I agree, I was on Energy Saver 6 until I read this thread earlier and I phoned them and in a couple of minutes he had switched me to Energy Saver 7 without questions etc.
# 337
Lady_K
Old 29-09-2009, 5:58 PM

What makes me angry is when you have to phone companies like this they almost always have a high rate phone number for existing customers and a freephone number for potential ones it is the same in scottish powers case
Thanx

Lady_K
# 338
joe134
Old 29-09-2009, 6:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_K View Post
What makes me angry is when you have to phone companies like this they almost always have a high rate phone number for existing customers and a freephone number for potential ones it is the same in scottish powers case
Yes if you are daft enough to use their 0845 number, but they have several 0800 numbers you can use for them, it,s just knowing them.0800400200, there are others too.Saynoto0870 web site,is good for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe134 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 339
Lady_K
Old 29-09-2009, 8:56 PM

My daughters gas and elec accounts with scottish power have been taken over by another firm, scottish southern without her requesting it. Shes recieved no bills at all so she called today to give her readings and ask to be put on the energy 7 tarrif and they said she hadnt been a customer since July. They said its going to take about 6 or more weeks to sort out
Thanx

Lady_K
# 340
rustyjames
Old 29-09-2009, 9:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I also followed the link in the email last week to opt out of the capped rate before the end of September deadline, and the page indicated that this had been done.

Just by chance I checked yesterday and no update had occured. A response to an email I sent confirmed I was still on the capped rate.

Glad I spotted it because otherwise I'd have had to somehow prove I really had clicked the link. Really not happy.

Phoned today and a helpful lady moved me to the standard online tariff which gives me time to decide what to do.

My question - I could go for the Online Saver 7 but I'm not clear on how it works? When I go to a comparison site the saving it seems to offer over the standard online tariff seems to be a lot more than the quoted 3%, I think because of the difference in the gas prices. Is that just to lure me in and the gap will reduce down closer to the 3%, is it capped, or have these deals traditionally been better. Just slightly confused.

For the record my gas is about 20,000kwh which seems to be fairly average, but electricity is more like 6500kwh which seems very high so will have to figure out what's eating it up with the energy meter.
Closed Thread