Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > Refunds onto Debit Cards (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Refunds onto Debit Cards
Closed Thread
Views: 19,381
# 1
milady_1981
Old 06-08-2009, 9:11 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Refunds onto Debit Cards

I have been told by Monsoon that a refund I did with them on Saturday can take up to 14 working days to be credited back onto my account. Can they do this? I have never had a refund take more than 3/4 working days to be credited in the past. How can they have the right to take so long to pay it back when they only took one day to take it out of my account? Surely they shouldn't be allowed to take this long? Please advise me. Thanks
# 2
Ivory Tinkler
Old 06-08-2009, 9:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

They have said up to 14 days to clear back into your account. If they processed the refund in front of you then there isn't much else you can do except for the funds to clear into your account. Although they have processed the refund it takes time for the money to be taken from their account and back into yours - as you say normally a few days. Maybe they advised up to 14 just in case of any unforseen delays.
# 3
molerat
Old 06-08-2009, 9:25 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

"can take" not "will take". 3-4 days is the norm but the banking system allows for 14 days.
# 4
milady_1981
Old 06-08-2009, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

If that's the case then the banking system needs a serious overhaul. Not everyone can afford to wait that long for money to go back onto their account and we shouldn't have to wait that long anyway-it's a disgrace! What's made it worse is that despite Scottish Power sending me a letter confirming that they would only take 1 out of my account from 1st August (as I am 190 in credit with them) they actually still took the 35 that the direct debit used to be priced at and I am still waiting on an indemnity claim to be processed to get the money back so I am serioulsly out of pocket. It's like there is some kind of conspiracy against me at the moment!
# 5
Colliefrog
Old 06-08-2009, 10:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Think yourself lucky... Virgin Mobile refunds can take up to 4 week :-S
# 6
Meepster
Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Just be glad they took the initial payment you made by card straight away. They can actually ask for the money from your bank any time upto 6 months after you made the transaction...
# 7
sweep9
Old 06-08-2009, 2:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Its not normally the shop but your own bank that can cause the delay.

Some of the refunds onto cards we do at work can appear straight away, some take ages. We have had customers coming back after a week complaining. We contact our merchant services provider who normally confirm that it was credited to the account overnight and that the card issuer must be holding it!!
# 8
DVardysShadow
Old 06-08-2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milady_1981 View Post
If that's the case then the banking system needs a serious overhaul. Not everyone can afford to wait that long for money to go back onto their account and we shouldn't have to wait that long anyway-it's a disgrace!
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the Banking system. It is producing very healthy bonuses for senior executives.
# 9
before hollywood
Old 06-08-2009, 4:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

i had the same problem with carpetright

mysteriously appeared after 13 days
things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercilessKiller View Post
BH is my best mate too, its ok

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester..
all your base are belong to us
# 10
DisneyLyn1
Old 06-08-2009, 8:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by milady_1981 View Post
What's made it worse is that despite Scottish Power sending me a letter confirming that they would only take 1 out of my account from 1st August (as I am 190 in credit with them) they actually still took the 35 that the direct debit used to be priced at and I am still waiting on an indemnity claim to be processed to get the money back so I am serioulsly out of pocket. It's like there is some kind of conspiracy against me at the moment!
Hi milady,

If you request an indemnity claim via your bank they should refund your account immediately (within 24 hours). Your bank will then claim their money back from Scottish Power. So if you haven't received your money back yet you should get onto your bank straight away (I used to work in the department that processed DD indemnity claims for one of the big banks so I know how it works).

Lyn
# 11
melannknee
Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

they have to advise up to 14 days in worst case it could take that long but it never does next say 28 days they have to cover there backs?
# 12
MurdochMcMaster
Old 07-08-2009, 4:54 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

It does seem a pain to have to wait that long. If they did it Saturday then the first banking day would be Monday - have you checked to see if it's gone through yet?
# 13
DCFC79
Old 07-08-2009, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVardysShadow View Post
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the Banking system. It is producing very healthy bonuses for senior executives.
but bonuses which arent needed at the levels they are at
Closed Thread