Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 5th Aug 09, 2:45 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Financial Fight Back Guide discussion
    • 5th Aug 09, 2:45 PM
    Financial Fight Back Guide discussion 5th Aug 09 at 2:45 PM

This is to specifically discuss the

Financial Fight Back Guide

... just click 'post reply' to discuss or comment.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 5:03 PM.
Page 3
  • appmandoo
    Financial obudsman useless?
    Hi Everyone i feel i have been really scammed by my bank and let down by the ombudsman
    Can any one offer any advice ?
    Back in February this year i received some faulty goods £700!, When i contacted the seller (i only had a phone number)
    He was very rude and told me to go away (F off)
    I immediately contacted my bank Santader to start a charge back and was told initially over the phone i needed to return the item and give them a tracking number before they could open the case
    I tried contacting the seller several times and kept being told to F off
    I had no invoice and no return address just a phone number
    I contacted the bank and told them this and was told that under the circumstances i did not need to return the item and they would send me the charge back paper work
    I filled in all the forms and sent them off and in march i had a letter saying the case had been investigated and decided in my favor and my money was returned
    In July i received another letter from the bank back dated a week that stated the charge back case had been re-debited due to the fact that i had not sent the goods back
    This was exactly 10 days before the 120 day time limit was exceeded for charge backs
    I spent the next ten days being passed from Tom to Jon to Andy etc etc they deliberately gave me the run around untill the 10 days expired
    I must have spent 4 hours on the phone and been promised at least 4 call backs which i never received it was and absolute living nightmare
    They insisted that they told me to send the goods back and it was my fault case closed they said very sorry your 120 days has expired
    So i took my case to the financial ombudsman and listed all my telephone call times exactly and all the details
    I had a telephone call from the ombudsman yesterday and he said that it is unlikely i will get my money back as he has no proof
    Guess what!
    The first telephone call i made, the one where they told me to send the goods back the bank has a copy of
    But the second call i made when i was told i didn't have to send the goods back, the banks computer has automatically erased and strangely enough all the other calls have been erased too !
    I might add that i had no correspondence from the bank at any point between and i wasn't sent the sellers letters in which he made me out as a lair and i wasn't sent the return address details at any point
    When speaking to my case officer at the ombudsman i said don't you think this stinks and he agreed but unfortunately he has no proof so no case?
    The whole thing absolutely stinks to me
    Any help would be appreciated ?
    • tasharthur
    • By tasharthur 5th Nov 14, 6:46 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    tasharthur
    Complaint with Barclays
    on the 6th October, I had someone pay into my account in branch for some second hand kids clothes. When checking my account after she said she had put the money in, I noticed that £190 had also been taken out in branch. At the time I didn't notice which branch, I just called the bank straight away to find out whats happened. I was initially told the cash had been taken with valid ID. Sooo that was just horrifying to think someone had fake ID. The call was logged with the fraud team, and I was waiting a call back from the manager. This never happened so I called back later in the day. The guy just didn't have a clue what he was doing, obviously my card was stopped and was told the only way I could access money was in branch, so had a 20minute argument with him saying well how safe is that then if someone has ID in my name pretending to be me then they could take money out again as they have done. He didn't get this at all! He then said weve put a password on the account (his name) and I was to use that when going to take out money. Anyway after speaking to someone else privately about this, they mentioned to check what branch the money had come from I noticed it was the same branch as the lady paying in, she said maybe they just didn't clear your account when serving the next customer. Anyway I went into my local branch the next day to retrieve money (no password needed!) and said to them that perhaps they just served the next customer on my account. I had a call within 30 mins after that saying yes that's what happened, the lady in the branch was way more helpful than the fraud team on the phone!!, well basically the till froze and when it restarted it remembered my details not that of the person serving - again this shouldn't have happened! Money was refunded, and I then logged the complaint with the bank, and I had a letter yesterday saying ill get an answer to whats happened by 30th November. I know they have 8 weeks to answer but really! its a simple you done a big boo boo! Can anyone offer advice on what I can expect from them - I am still waiting an apology! not even had that!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 5th Nov 14, 8:51 AM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Chances are you'll get a vague apology and probably £25 or £50 compo to make you go away. You had the money refunded, you lost nothing, the bank admitted they were at fault, time to move on.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Nov 14, 9:03 AM
    • 88,292 Posts
    • 53,522 Thanks
    dunstonh
    on the 6th October, I had someone pay into my account in branch for some second hand kids clothes. When checking my account after she said she had put the money in, I noticed that £190 had also been taken out in branch. At the time I didn't notice which branch, I just called the bank straight away to find out whats happened. I was initially told the cash had been taken with valid ID. Sooo that was just horrifying to think someone had fake ID. The call was logged with the fraud team, and I was waiting a call back from the manager. This never happened so I called back later in the day. The guy just didn't have a clue what he was doing, obviously my card was stopped and was told the only way I could access money was in branch, so had a 20minute argument with him saying well how safe is that then if someone has ID in my name pretending to be me then they could take money out again as they have done. He didn't get this at all! He then said weve put a password on the account (his name) and I was to use that when going to take out money. Anyway after speaking to someone else privately about this, they mentioned to check what branch the money had come from I noticed it was the same branch as the lady paying in, she said maybe they just didn't clear your account when serving the next customer. Anyway I went into my local branch the next day to retrieve money (no password needed!) and said to them that perhaps they just served the next customer on my account. I had a call within 30 mins after that saying yes that's what happened, the lady in the branch was way more helpful than the fraud team on the phone!!, well basically the till froze and when it restarted it remembered my details not that of the person serving - again this shouldn't have happened! Money was refunded, and I then logged the complaint with the bank, and I had a letter yesterday saying ill get an answer to whats happened by 30th November. I know they have 8 weeks to answer but really! its a simple you done a big boo boo! Can anyone offer advice on what I can expect from them - I am still waiting an apology! not even had that!
    Originally posted by tasharthur
    An apology and a very small amount for inconvenience. You are not worse off because of this. Just inconvenienced due to someone committing fraud (which they do not have to compensate you for other then return the funds) and a bank clerk who was less than helpful (where they would probably give you a small amount).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 24th Nov 15, 2:00 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    hybernia
    Having read the MSE article from which this discussion thread stems, I'm baffled to note MSE failure to highlight the fact that the Financial Ombudsman Service's remit does NOT include the investigation / adjudication of complaints against DCAs in pursuit of money claimed by utility companies (water, gas, and electric.)

This country's 'Big Six' energy companies have a truly appalling record of mismanaging customer bills and I have no doubt that, like members of my own family, there'll be hundreds of people right now who are being unjustifiably harassed by DCAs on behalf of those companies.

My family members are presently having to deal with one particular DCA in regard to a bill which is grossly wrong, which the DCA has been repeatedly told is disputed, and in regard to which the DCA has been asked on not one but four separate occasions to actually produce the evidence upon which it keeps issuing its threats.

Last Friday, my family members received yet another threatening pay-up-or-else letter from the DCA, this time to say that Court action will follow if the amount allegedly owing is not paid within 7 days.

Pressure to pay this amount has been exerted by letter and by phone call. Failure to provide evidence of claim has been consistent. Refusal to cease harassment whilst knowing full well that the amount is disputed (and the subject of formal complaint to its client) is blatant.

Is it, one wonders, because both the DCAs and the energy companies in this country are laughing up their sleeves because they know that the Financial Ombudsman Service is *not* going to do anything in a case like this?

Or is there, after all, some means whereby a DCA's conduct in such a case can be drawn to the attention of at least some regulatory authority or other so as to clamp down on this kind of behaviour?

There's so much, much talk in this country of consumer protection -- including that MSE article -- but when it comes to the disgraceful behaviour of so many utility companies (behaviour ironically highlighted here on MSE itself in countless hundreds of posts) it seems the protection isn't there when truly needed: if a giant gas and electricity supplier wishes to make someone's life hell, then by all means, let it do so.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Mar 17, 11:58 PM
    • 18,863 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Thanks for that one. I don't know what to say!

Definitely an effective "financial fightback"

I hit Spam.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Mar 17, 2:17 PM
    • 9,409 Posts
    • 7,374 Thanks
    lincroft1710

I hit Spam.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    same here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,149Posts Today

5,081Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin