Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Claiming jsa and paying rent to parents..? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Claiming jsa and paying rent to parents..?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,220
# 1
chris1989
Old 30-07-2009, 7:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Claiming jsa and paying rent to parents..?

Hi all, i just wondered.. im currently claiming jsa and living at home with my parents, i know that if you live on your own and are on jsa that you get your rent paid for, but my parents have said they want me to start paying rent. Can i get that paid for or does it have to come out of my jsa?

Thanks, chris
The Following User Says Thank You to chris1989 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
NASA
Old 30-07-2009, 7:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1989 View Post
Hi all, i just wondered.. im currently claiming jsa and living at home with my parents, i know that if you live on your own and are on jsa that you get your rent paid for, but my parents have said they want me to start paying rent. Can i get that paid for or does it have to come out of my jsa?

Thanks, chris
There has to be a legal agreement in place between you and your parents. That much I know. It wouldnt be out of your JSA though it would be LHA or HB.
# 3
montyrebel
Old 30-07-2009, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i pay mine out of my JSA i wouldnt even ask them to pay it especially as I am living at home
mortui non mordent
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to montyrebel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
alwaysonthego
Old 30-07-2009, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA View Post
There has to be a legal agreement in place between you and your parents. That much I know. It wouldnt be out of your JSA though it would be LHA or HB.
That would only apply if the parents had a house that was BTL and they did not live with the op.

Otherwise the op would not be entitled because he lives with a close relative.

When you will be treated as not paying rent

In some situations, the local authority may treat you as if you are not responsible for paying the rent, even though you have to pay it and you will not get Housing Benefit. This will be the case if you have a rental agreement the local authority thinks is ‘non-commercial’, for example, because it is not legally enforceable.
You may be excluded from Housing Benefit by this rule if you pay rent to a close relative who also lives in the home
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ousing_benefit
I'm a Board Guide on the Benefits & Tax Credits, Food Shopping & Groceries, Freebies (no spend required), Health & Fitness, Marriage, Relationships & Families, Music MoneySaving, Special Occasions & Other Celebrations boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. However, please remember board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alwaysonthego For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
zzzLazyDaisy
Old 30-07-2009, 8:03 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
You cannot normally claim LHA/HB if you are living with a family member.

If you are under 25 and move out into shared accommodation you would be entitled to the LHA rate for a room in a shared house. However, this does not cover gas/electricity/water bills, or your food which would all come out of your JSA.
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Letter Before Claim from a parking company? DO NOT IGNORE - THE NEXT STEP IS COURT ACTION. See my thread (page 1 of the parking forum) and FIGHT BACK!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zzzLazyDaisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
healy
Old 30-07-2009, 8:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks, chris
It has to come out of your JSA.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
meggymoo311
Old 30-07-2009, 8:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You cannot claim anything for rent if you live at home and are on JSA. But if your parents were out of work and you were earning you would be expected to pay part of the rent or mortgage. I would love to meet the people that make up these rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to meggymoo311 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
NASA
Old 30-07-2009, 9:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzLazyDaisy View Post
You cannot normally claim LHA/HB if you are living with a family member.

If you are under 25 and move out into shared accommodation you would be entitled to the LHA rate for a room in a shared house. However, this does not cover gas/electricity/water bills, or your food which would all come out of your JSA.
Well, it is, or was, different where I live.

I enquired many years ago about claiming housing benefit and was told that I could as long as an agreement was in place. It must have changed.
# 9
thorsoak
Old 30-07-2009, 9:27 PM

Although you are not working, JSA is your income, out of which you have to keep yourself. You should be contributing to the family costs - you must be using electricity/water/eating etc - you shouldn't expect your parents to continue to fund you.

When my children were at home, their sole income was through their employment. We expected them to pay towards their keep from their income (out of which they also had to pay their fares etc to work).

Why should you not pay them from your JSA? Maybe only a small proportion of it - they won't expect to profit from you - but you are using their resources!!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thorsoak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
McKneff
Old 30-07-2009, 9:43 PM

Of course you should be paying your parents rent.
You are using their electric, gas, water and they are presumably feeding you too. Even if you got your own place you would have to pay for these yourself.

Take responsibility for yourself and give you parents a bit of help.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
zzzLazyDaisy
Old 30-07-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Well, it is, or was, different where I live.

I enquired many years ago about claiming housing benefit and was told that I could as long as an agreement was in place. It must have changed.

Yes, things have changed. The new LHA rules are very clear on this.
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Letter Before Claim from a parking company? DO NOT IGNORE - THE NEXT STEP IS COURT ACTION. See my thread (page 1 of the parking forum) and FIGHT BACK!
The Following User Says Thank You to zzzLazyDaisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
chris1989
Old 02-08-2009, 4:47 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Who deleted my posts? Bit bloody rude! Im far too beveraged to re-write them now Shame on you.
# 13
scootw1
Old 02-08-2009, 8:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKneff View Post
Of course you should be paying your parents rent.
You are using their electric, gas, water and they are presumably feeding you too. Even if you got your own place you would have to pay for these yourself.

Take responsibility for yourself and give you parents a bit of help.
He's not asking that. He wants to know if there is any help available. I think he does want to contribute. if he got his own place he would be entitled to help in the form of HB so he is hoping that would be the case if his parents want him to pay rent
# 14
Caz3121
Old 02-08-2009, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootw1 View Post
He's not asking that. He wants to know if there is any help available. I think he does want to contribute. if he got his own place he would be entitled to help in the form of HB so he is hoping that would be the case if his parents want him to pay rent
If he had his own place you are correct that he would get help with rent however what other people are saying is that gas, electric, food etc would have to be paid from the JSA.
Taking a rough estimate of these bills would be probably at least £150 per month from the JSA he therefore could pay this to his parents and be no better or worse off than if he was in his own place and claiming LHA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caz3121 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
zzzLazyDaisy
Old 02-08-2009, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Who deleted my posts? Bit bloody rude! Im far too beveraged to re-write them now Shame on you.
To people reading the thread - the original question appears reasonable, but OP's subsequent posts made it clear that he was just a troll with nothing better to do with his time. His posts have obviously been deleted by MSE.

The Following User Says Thank You to zzzLazyDaisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
flossy_splodge
Old 02-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Angry DWP? Bah!

Just in case someone is reading this thread who needs to know the answer, just last week the offspring of a close family friend was told they DEFINITELY COULD claim HB if they moved back to live with the family.
This is the real problem.
There are so many so called DWP 'advisers' who couldn't advise which way is up.
People then take action on the basis of their lousy advice and then get in a whole lot of bother.
There should be a means of easily suing the DWP when their employees don't know how to do thier jobs properly and give out incorrect information.
Only last year I knew someone whose DD had been told they were DEF NOT eligible for HB as 'their family home was within 10 miles'.
The youngster was going through a really tough time having lost their job but with the costs of living in a flat to pay for, and with no help available tried to commit suicide.
Luckily one of the parents got involved and discovered the DD WAS in fact eligible and they got back paid over £1000.
What would the DWP have said if that suicide attempt had succeeded?
oops sorry?
The DWP are a disgrace.
Sorry for the rant but I know this family and it was appalling that anyone be put in this position.
The family incidentally only got to know how bad things were after the DD ended up in hospital as she had kept it from them out of shame at not being able to cope.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
― John Wooden
The Following User Says Thank You to flossy_splodge For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Ames
Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Housing benefit/LHA is nothing to do with the DWP, it's through the local council.
Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ames For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
alwaysonthego
Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM

So you would blame the DWP for a mistake of one employee?
I'm a Board Guide on the Benefits & Tax Credits, Food Shopping & Groceries, Freebies (no spend required), Health & Fitness, Marriage, Relationships & Families, Music MoneySaving, Special Occasions & Other Celebrations boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. However, please remember board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this).
The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysonthego For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
flossy_splodge
Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ames View Post
Housing benefit/LHA is nothing to do with the DWP, it's through the local council.
Sorry, yes I realise that but it was an employee at DWP who told the person not to bother applying for HB as they would not be eligible.
Probably most of us would have gone to the actual awarding body but this petrson is very young, was seriously depressed (diagnosed) and didn't realise that you can double check these things.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
― John Wooden
# 20
flossy_splodge
Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysonthego View Post
So you would blame the DWP for a mistake of one employee?
But it's not just ONE employee.
In our area the DWP sucks.
Big time.
They either employ sub standard staff or their management is poor.
Either way they give out a lot of seriously incorrect information.

― John Wooden
The Following User Says Thank You to flossy_splodge For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread