Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Can you clean a urine soaked matress? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can you clean a urine soaked matress?
Closed Thread
Views: 154,937
# 1
apples1
Old 18-04-2006, 1:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Can you clean a urine soaked matress?

A friend's daughter stayed at the weekend (8 years old) and wet the bed. She never normally does this and therefore i didn't have anything over the matress other than a sheet. As she stayed laying in it for hours afterwards everything was soaked through. I have washed the bedding and taken the duvet into the dry-cleaners to be washed (its too big for my machine).

We left the matress outside all day yesterday and sprayed with fibreeze and it seemed ok but having been inside all night it really smells this morning. It is now on a wire bed base so getting air from top and bottom and window in room is open. Is there anything else I can do? It feels dry to touch but smells and I assume must be wet inside?

The thought of keeping a matress full of urine turns my stomach but buying a new one seems a bit excessive. Can I rescue it or should I ditch it?

Last edited by apples1; 18-04-2006 at 1:51 PM.
# 2
No self control
Old 18-04-2006, 2:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

do you have or can you borrow a steam cleaner?

I know it sounds like madness to wet the mattress even more but the steam will kill the germs in the mattress and neutralise the smell of the urine. Then carry on doing what you are doing, let it air until it's fully dry.
The beauty of a woman must be seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.

never give up, never give in. life isn't set in stone.
The Following User Says Thank You to No self control For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
shelly
Old 18-04-2006, 3:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Personally I'd take the mattress into the garden, then get a bowl full of hot water with disinfectant in it and soak the whole area that has got urine on it.....just pour it on. If you're thinking of ditching it you haven't lost anything if it doesn't work.
Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
# 4
gixxerchick
Old 18-04-2006, 8:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was watching Kim and Aggie once and am sure they used bicarb of soda, they sprinkled loads onto a mattress and left it for a few hours, it's supposed to absorb smells, can't say if it works as i haven't tried it myself but good luck.
# 5
fsdss
Old 18-04-2006, 8:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No self control
do you have or can you borrow a steam cleaner?

I know it sounds like madness to wet the mattress even more but the steam will kill the germs in the mattress and neutralise the smell of the urine. Then carry on doing what you are doing, let it air until it's fully dry.

clicked the thanks button by accident!! never mind

i steam cleaned my mattress once when my little boy wet my bed (honestly!!) alll i can say is that if you can stand the smell whilst cleaning.......it really honked... in the end i threw a bucket of water/ dettol on it with some carpet cleaner, and the matress has been ok ever since
# 6
sweetmoneysaver
Old 18-04-2006, 8:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Mattress

Kim and Aggie did use bicarb of soda. I think it is something like a tea spoon per 500ml of warm water. Alternatively make up a solution of Ariel (the biological one would be best) and wipe thoroughly. I got this tip from a friend's mum who had an incontinent elderly cat. Apparently it really gets rid of the smell. The really important thing (as also shown on "How clean is your house?") is to get a towel and push hard on the treated patch. Repeating lots of times. This will get the most of the water out of the mattress. Then gently dry with a hairdrier. If you don't get the moisture out you will end up with the perfect conditions to grow mould! Alternatively you can buy a spray from pet shops that breaks down the wee with enzymes but that I'm sure Ariel will work just as well. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetmoneysaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
gixxerchick
Old 18-04-2006, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
is to get a towel and push hard on the treated patch. Repeating lots of times. This will get the most of the water out of the mattress.
Putting a towel on the bed and ' walking ' on it should get the moisture out too.
# 8
Peakma
Old 18-04-2006, 10:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

yuk what a nightmare,poor girl must of been devestated.Unless it's a particulary good mattress,I'd just be done with it, and get a new one !not very MSE though.But how much is your time worth?Your never going to think of it as clean and fresh again.
If it were my child I would want to put towards replacing the mattress,without causing further embarrasment to the girl, would this be an option?
I remember my late grandmother telling me that she had wet the bed at some relatives of my grandad (when she was an adult)She was so embarrassed, she just left it and never mentioned it again!

If you go with the cleaning option,a dehumidifyer would help it to dry.
# 9
Threadhead
Old 19-04-2006, 8:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We've just been given a brand new mattress, still in its plastic wrapping when we got it, but theperson who gave us it is a smoker, and it STINKS of smoke. Even when we took it out the wrapping!! Anyone think the bicarb idea might work for us??
Threadhead
# 10
aliasojo
Old 19-04-2006, 8:20 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

As the parent of 2 ex constant bed wetters, I agree with the chuck a bowl of warm water and disinfectant over it to drench the thing.

The inside of a mattress usually has a wool type padding which will hold the smell forever.

Unless you actually wash the urine out, then all you are doing is drying it in. You may not smell it again normally but as soon as a hot night comes along then you will get the scent again. Been there.

I favour the throw out option but if that's not feasible at the moment then at least soak the urine area. Then walk on it with towels over it to soak up the excess and dry beside a heater or with a hairdryer.
Herman - MP for all!
# 11
Katinkka
Old 19-04-2006, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to Katinkka

And for the future, I recommend protecting all your mattresses with a protector. WE have them on all our beds and they are really smooth, like a sheet so you dont feel sweaty or anything when sleeping on them. We got ours from boots I think.
I have a child with autism.
# 12
patchwork cat
Old 19-04-2006, 4:56 PM

Biological washing powder dissolved at a high concentration in water and soak the mattres through. Let it work a bit and then lots of towels and walking on it. Board guide this question would do well on OS board.
# 13
bestpud
Old 19-04-2006, 6:08 PM

Sorry, not very mse, but I'd just ditch it! I can't believe you'll ever get rid of the smell completely and even if you did, I bet you'd still think you could smell it!

Just my opinion of course.
# 14
Counting_Pennies
Old 19-04-2006, 8:18 PM

Personally I'd ditch it too. Clean mattresses for me are really important. Ever since the cot death links with mattresses and needing a new mattress per child, I am convinced that a clean mattress is the only way to go.
# 15
apples1
Old 20-04-2006, 1:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. Its been too wet outside so I've not been able to do the "throw lots of soapy water at it" idea. Its still in a room with window open (smells when I shut the window!).

I cannot absorb any more moisture through from the surface. I'm sure its still wet inside but its a thick high quality (wessley barrell) matress so that may be why.

Today I have sprinkled biacarb of soda on it (as per suggestions on this thread). I'll leave all day and hoover off tonight. If I could afford replacement I would but can really do without spending out. Its not a standard single (slightly narrower) so doubt I can just get cheap new one.

I do however agree with the poster that said... "if it were my daughter I would offer to pay towards replacement." My friend didn't offer to do that or even to cover the cost of cleaning the duvet which I would have done in her position. Can't really ask her though so I may just have to investigate cost of replacing it myself.
# 16
Peakma
Old 21-04-2006, 12:19 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

just a thought but could you claim for it on the house isurance ?
# 17
tonyhamm
Old 22-04-2006, 4:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The treatment with BiCarb should work very well to get rid of any smell.The characteristic pungent smell is mainly from ammonia and urea which are acids.

The Ammonia is NH3 and the alkaline BiCarb is NaHCO3 which basically breaks down into C02 +H20 i.e. Carbon Dioxide and water. (acid + base = salt + water) So a solution of BiCarb to soak in and react with the urine would be the best solution. Then dry off with a towel pressed in to absorb the water and salts remaining and a hotair dryer to dry the dampness out.

The treatment with BiCarb is an excellent treatment.
Of course Ariel is a soap which is also a powerful base, but is more likely to leave a residue behind.

Kim and aggee really know thier stuff.

Last edited by tonyhamm; 22-04-2006 at 4:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyhamm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
apples1
Old 22-04-2006, 6:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think we are going to have to ditch it. It is beyond help I think and i don't really want it in such a state. Biacarb helped but not solved it.

Not thought of house insurance - we do have cover for accidental damage but also a % no claims discount that I assume we'd lose if we made a claim so probably not worth it. I am going to look for a cheap 2 foot 6 matress (that can be delivered). Needs to be quite thick as goes on metal base (so one meant for a divan bed wouldn't work). Standard single won't fit - any suggestions of places to purchase online would be good please but only if you know they do that size. Thanks guys
# 19
shelly
Old 22-04-2006, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples1
Not thought of house insurance - we do have cover for accidental damage but also a % no claims discount that I assume we'd lose if we made a claim so probably not worth it.

Also I assume you would have to pay an excess? So not worth it for a mattress IMO.
Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
# 20
gravitytolls
Old 22-04-2006, 9:49 PM

I doubt you can rescue it, if it's soaked. Maybe you have a freecycle scheme in your area. Perhaps you could advertise in the wanted section of this, or the local freeads?
I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
Closed Thread