Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels > Energy Care Group UK Limited Anyone Heard Of? (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Energy Care Group UK Limited Anyone Heard Of?
Views: 68,769
# 21
ninjaryder
Old 05-02-2010, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default insulation companies

I have fitted insulation for 2 major companies and now survey for a third one.All the companies i have worked for and dealt with have rubbish fitters who really arent that bothered about the completeness of the fill or how the job looks after..equally there are some very good fitters out there who take pride in their work..you cant tar a whole organisation from a couple of jobs reported on here.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
DanStanDaMan
Old 15-03-2010, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Yes, I know I am new and I have seen the comments about first time posters, but I have read this site for months for advice and assistance without the need to contribute. I am in no way linked to the company or any other similar companies.

Three weeks ago I called Energycare UK Ltd after seeing an advert offering free loft insulation being offered for Disability Living Allowance. An agent came out the address and checked the loft and confirmed it would be done for free. The costs are apparently recouped by them from my energy supplier. The agent that came out I found to be knowledgable but somewhat abrubt and abrasive.

Anyhow, today, a very polite fella came to fit my loft insulation. He has done what appears to be a good job. He was only here for half an hour but has laid 250mm insulation to the sides of the loft and a single layer in the middle (this was on my request so I can relay some flooring.) He has also cut it around the relevant joists. He was a very polite chap.

Personally (having read this thread) I was reticent in believing they would turn up today or that they would do a good job but I have to say I would recommend them (at this stage!).
# 23
lindymac
Old 25-03-2010, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Energycare Scotland are good!

I have been using the Scottish branch of Energycare to insulate homes in my local area as part of a community energy-saving project. Because of our island location, none of the big firms would even consider coming over, and people here were not able to take advantage of the grants and free insulation. Michael at Energycare was the first one I spoke to who was willing to give it a go - to date they have insulated over 30 houses and are coming back soon to survey another 20. There have occasionally been hiccups with bad weather and missed appointments but this is real life and these things happen. So far I have had no complaints about their work, and many comments on their speed, efficiency and tidiness. They are also polite and well-mannered and appear to take a real pride in their work. I have recommended them to a similar project on another island and they have had the same experience with them. No firm will have a 100% satisfaction rate, but for me this team has come very very close! Hope this is useful to Scottish members.
# 24
zerocarbon
Old 09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi All

I find all these posts very interesting to read, i have been in this industry for about 14 years and now run my own company in Stevenage, in the defense of energycare, the grant funds are there to be used and this is why the price is so low, anyone that owns or rents a property is entitled to the grant, the price we charge can and normally does change throughout the year dependant on the funding available. We are pretty much governed by what we have to charge.

Every Installer "should" be certified by the BBA to carry out the works, and should offer a 25 year ciga guarantee.

There are many firms around which can carry out cavity wall and loft insulation and its not hard to find the good ones. I would suggest phoning our local council or Energy savings trust (despite what some people say, this will not cost you a penny). You will normally be given the names to a few companies, you should always get a few quotes and its not always advisable to go for the cheapest, make sure the surveyor fills in a formal quotation form and a BBA survey form, you should also think about asking the following Questions.
What material will they use?
will they be filling every single area of the cavity.
Will the installers check the house before starting the work?
Will they clean up behind them?
And will a Quality assurance check be carried out by a member of management after the work has been done.

The answer to all of the above should be yes, you should also find out if the company has a Quality management system in Place like ISO 9001 and are the accredited to CHAS of Safe Contractor.

If you can get all of that then you have a good company doing your work, if all else fails then ask your around for a referral.

Cavity wall insulation is a fantastic product if it is installed correctly, but if it’s not then you may find increasing damp problems occur inside your property, My advice is " if you are not 100% happy with the service you are being offered then use another company”

Has anyone had any other bad or good experiences with any other firms?
# 25
savingamateur
Old 17-04-2010, 1:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have had a recent experience with energy care scotland. I got my cavity walls and loft done. I had an excellent experience. The guys came when they were supposed to , they were polite and curteous and tidied up after themselfs. I had to cancell the jobs a few times due to work but when i phoned to cancell the reception girl was very polite and understanding and took my details for the manager to call me back to rebook me. The manager called me back right away. He was polite and helpful with my request. Everyone has different experiences with these types of things. Their only human so bound to make mistakes. Dont judge the company by a few bad experiences all i can say is well donte energycare scotland i will be reccomending you to friends and family.
# 26
mauricebliss
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Energy Care cavity wall insulation

I have had a bad experience with this company and would urge all to beware. It is impossible to speak to anyone in authority at their Bedfordshire branch. You can never procede beyond their receptionist and can only communicate by fax or e-mail. Their MD is particularly wily, and will twist or reverse the circumstances to suit the company and not the customer. Their assessment of the property prior to installation is laughable and just be careful that you are in possession of all relevant documents before allowing these people access to your home. If I had been more careful and had access to this blog before they called me, I would have refused to deal with them. I am, at present, in the midst of suing them for damage caused to my property for which they accepted
responsibility at the time, and which they are now denying.
# 27
elvira again
Old 20-08-2010, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Energy Care Insulation

I've just had them cold-call me, in spite of being signed up to the TPS, and when I asked where they got my name from (my full name & title, which aren't in the phone book) they just hung up.

Not the sign of a reputable company to my mind.
# 28
wherry
Old 14-10-2010, 1:41 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Tonight I had a cold-call from someone asking for personal information in order to "qualify me" for a government grant for home insulation. I asked what company he was from and he answered 'Energy Care'. I asked him what he was selling and he replied that he wasn't - he was attempting to qualify me for the grant. I asked him that if I do qualify, who will the money be paid to - he then hung up on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole at Energycare
All new employees go through an extensive training program which, when fully trained are approved and carded by material manufactures (Instafibre) who regularly monitor our work and carry out at least 10% random checks of all our installs. Our pass rate is always above average.
If employees are fully trained and approved then anything other than a 100% pass rate on checked work is unnacceptable - I certainly wouldn't let a contractor who admits that not all their work is up to standard do work on my home.
# 29
Ebe Scrooge
Old 14-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Can I just throw a spanner in the works here. There are, to my knowledge, 2 companies with the name EnergyCare. One is based in the Exeter area, their website is www.energycare.co.uk/, and they have a good reputation. They only cover the South-West though, so no good for people in Scotland.

The other company, who have the .org website and cover nationwide, are completely unrelated. I don't know the ins and outs of how 2 legit companies can be registered with the same name, but there you have it.
# 30
Rusedge
Old 27-10-2010, 12:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Energycare

Just to settle any confusion form the last thread. I work for Energycare Insulations Ltd in Exeter with the website as listed byt ebe Scrooge (sorry new user and can't put in the actual wedsite !)and have traded as Energycare for over 30 years. We have been established for over 30 years and have always and only work in the South West of England. We have nothing to do and are completely unconnected with Energy Care UK Ltd who set up in recent years with a slightly different registered name.

We often get people ringing us after receving unsolicited sales calls from people claiming to be Energycare. We can't prove who the telesales people represent but its not us as we do not use call centres and the calls are from other parts of the country !

Not going to do a sales pitch but if anyone is looking for an insulation installer, any reasonable installer should be registered with the National Insulation Association (NIA) and be able to offer a CIGA guarantee. All installers can offer some form of grant so cavity wall insulation is normally around £199 with lofts around the same sort of price. The CIGA guarantee is an independent guarantee so you will be covered if you have any problems with an installer.
# 31
norfolkheather
Old 29-11-2010, 1:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have had an excellent experience with Energy care - in fact just googled them to find the details to recommend to a friend and found this discussion. Here we are - it is snowing outside today and with NO heating on this morning, the temperature in my house and my garden room (with one glass wall,half roof) was 17 degrees. The deal was £50 for cavity wall insulation just a few months ago. We lagged the loft ourselves. What a difference/ saving to my bills and the environment. EC were fast, efficient and professional. Maybe I was lucky, but that was my experience and I am delighted with the results.
# 32
Pussagirl
Old 10-12-2010, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool

My mother who is 84 recently she has had her loft insulated. This was done by a company called Energize. On their website they are called Energycare UK Ltd and their address is, 1, Appley Court, Appley Wood Corner, Haynes, Bedford, Bedfordshire MK45 3QQ.
As far as I can ascertain, they knocked on her door to tell her about government grants available and she signed forms presented by them. They say they wouldn't have done this and that she must have contacted them. I'm pretty sure she didn't do this.

Installation was free to her and will be paid for by a government grant. I understand that Energy care recover the grant money from my mother's energy supplier. When I contacted her energy supplier, they said that this company is not on their list of recommended installers.

She already had existing insulation between the joists. This further insulation has caused her alot of problems. She stores a large amount of stuff in the roof space, some of which I managed to move prior to installation of the insulation material. The insulation has been cut to fit around the boxes still left in the loft. The house is very small and her spare room is now completely full of stuff and therefore unuseable. All this stuff, which I took out of the roof space, now has to go back. The boxes of stuff still in the roof space have been made unreachable by the presence of the new insulation material. Since the insulation material is now covering the boarding (not fixed or complete) this makes it impossible for my mother to access her loft space safely or to use it as useful storage. I feel that she should have been questioned more fully about how she uses the loft. It then would have been seen that, in her case, extra insulation was not suitable without further work to her loft space. I would be unhappy about her (or myself) going up into the loft without suitable protective clothing. It seems to me that this company is just trying to get it's money from the government, knowing that noeone will check the work and leaving pensioners with big problems? The best solution would be for this company (Energize) to remove the insulation so that she can safely use her loft again. I assume that, since she has now had her allocation of grant money for loft insulation, she won’t get another grant to do the job properly in the future. I asked Energize if I could speak to their customer relations department and was told they don’t have one. They also told me that they have no complaints procedure. They also told me, that since my mother agreed to the work, they did it and that I would have to pay to get the insulation removed.
Any ideas?
# 33
Pussagirl
Old 10-12-2010, 11:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello again, I've just been looking up Energy Care on Google. There are several companies using these words in their name and it's EnergyCare UK Ltd that is causing people problems.
# 34
richard0801
Old 24-02-2011, 2:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindymac View Post
I have been using the Scottish branch of Energycare to insulate homes in my local area as part of a community energy-saving project. Because of our island location, none of the big firms would even consider coming over, and people here were not able to take advantage of the grants and free insulation. Michael at Energycare was the first one I spoke to who was willing to give it a go - to date they have insulated over 30 houses and are coming back soon to survey another 20. There have occasionally been hiccups with bad weather and missed appointments but this is real life and these things happen. So far I have had no complaints about their work, and many comments on their speed, efficiency and tidiness. They are also polite and well-mannered and appear to take a real pride in their work. I have recommended them to a similar project on another island and they have had the same experience with them. No firm will have a 100% satisfaction rate, but for me this team has come very very close! Hope this is useful to Scottish members.
In the rules published by OFGEM none of the energy suppliers can refuse to insulate your home because you live on an island. If you are having problems try your own enrgy supplier, if they refuse contact OFGEM via their website and they will help
# 35
asfish
Old 26-03-2011, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My local free paper has a 4 sided advert for Energy Care UK LTD on the front of it this week

Guess that this lot is not worth bothering with?

I went to the EST and they have a lot of people on their site that will do this work. Prices range from £56 -£358 though. These are just web prices.

Are there differences in quality and service or do the companies doing this just take bigger slices of the grant money?

Would rather spend more money on something like this if it means I getter a better job done.
# 36
morrison1
Old 15-08-2011, 1:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cavity Insulation

I used the Haynes Energy care group in February 2011 to update my loft insulation and install cavity wall insulation. Each team turned up on same day as agreed. Both teams were efficient and quick with the install. The loft installation took about an hour and the cavity about two. Cavity wall cost £99 and £199 for the loft. Have noticed the difference already. Saw the 4 page spread reffered to above. I would reccomend this company.
# 37
MiserlyMartin
Old 21-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via ICQ to MiserlyMartin

Energycare Group MK45 3QQ have pushed a letter through my door offering totally free cavity and loft insulation, even for people not on benefits. I am waiting for the catch. But the money comes from the carbon emissions reduction target (CERT) which 100% grant funds all home owners so the letter says.

Has anyone else got this letter?
# 38
KVS
Old 29-11-2011, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiserlyMartin View Post
Energycare Group MK45 3QQ have pushed a letter through my door offering totally free cavity and loft insulation, even for people not on benefits. I am waiting for the catch. But the money comes from the carbon emissions reduction target (CERT) which 100% grant funds all home owners so the letter says.

Has anyone else got this letter?
Hi, I got this letter and have checked it out with CERT 0800512012 - and it is free!!! It's being paid for by the big 6 power companies as they have to reduce emissions and this is a cost effective way of doing it. Apparently MK postcodes have higher emissions than elsewhere, hence doing it in our area. I didn't believe it myself! Give the above number a call. I got it from the council. You gotta love a freebie!!! Good luck!
# 39
GlowingG
Old 19-07-2012, 11:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have had an unsolicited cold call from Energy Care Centre outbound call centre. The saleman said used a name of someone who has never lived at this address nor had this phone number. He refused to give me information on the company employing him and running the call centre. When I said it was not legal to call me, he hung up. Unacceptable sales process - reported to the TPS.
# 40
Markuss
Old 01-08-2012, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

The utility companies are under pressure to reduce their carbon emissions and deadlines are approaching, which is why there are so many offers of free insulation around at the moment.

To be sure of getting a reputable installation company carry out the work, please apply via government-grants.co.uk

We have been running this site for 6 years now, have generated over 1/2 million enquiries and had but a handful of complaints during that time, less than 10 in fact and most of these due to being unable to make the allotted appointment time, with only 2 to my knowledge being work related.