Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dannorman
    Bank-smart now charging me!
    • 21st Jul 09, 12:48 PM
    Bank-smart now charging me! 21st Jul 09 at 12:48 PM
    Two and a half years ago (Jan '07) I engaged a company called Bank-Smart to reclaim my bank charges.
    I now know I could have done this myself but I find this sort of thing difficult and this company were doing it for 10% of the charges which is a lot less than some companies were charging at the time.

There were three accounts to claim amounts ranging from 300 to 800 pounds each from. Halifax, LloydsTSB and Co-operative.:rolleyes: Much correspondence and information providing has taken place, often in duplicate. Many many, letters of authority have been sent, etc. Pounds and pounds have been spent photocopying statements to back up claims of hardship.

About a year ago they started claiming that one of the accounts was classed as an unproductive account due to it being more than six years old and that because of this they required payment of £100 from me for their efforts. I replied that at the time of their engagement, this account was not six years old and was therefore valid and potentially very productive.
    Since then I have had a succession of confusing updates from them via their website, some stating that the amount has now increased due to non payment and others stating that the charge has been dropped.
    Since pointing this out I have now been locked out from their website and prevented from accessing my 'account' information.

I have also offered to pay the £100 fee when the account charges are returned to me as I do not actually have £100 spare to be able to give them.
    I am a single parent with a six year old daughter and I work part time as a teaching assistant to pay my bills. I do not have any money 'left over' each month to give to these people. I am in financial difficulty, I am behind with my coiuncil tax, my credit card is on the limit, this is why I am trying to reclaim my bank charges.

They have now contacted me by telephone and are threatening legal proceedings if i do not pay. I received an email yesterday stating that the amount had that day increased by £150 and would carry on increasing until it reached the £750 threshold for bankruptcy, whereupon said action would commence.

Are they actually entitled to pursue me for this bogus amount when they have not really provided a service to me? Can they keep on adding to this amount as they wish until they cross the £750 line?
    Am I entitled to claim my fees back myself even whilst they are supposedly engaged in the process?

Your thoughts please.

Daniel
Page 11
    • agnesjanesteinson
    • By agnesjanesteinson 2nd Feb 17, 12:25 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    agnesjanesteinson
    Latest e-mails from Bank-Smart
    Bank-Smart are causing us heartache too - I can forward copies of recent e-mails exchanged between us if you wish; I intended to send those to Martin Lewis and did try to do so but I understand that it is not possible to reply to everyone individually so I thought I would try it this way.

I really don't know what to do as I have paid Bank-Smart £100 and thought that was the end of it, now they are asking for £480 which I have no intention of paying!!

Hope you can help. Many thanks.

Regards

Agnes Jane Steinson

• agnesjanesteinson
    • By agnesjanesteinson 2nd Feb 17, 12:33 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    agnesjanesteinson
    It makes mine and my husband's blood boil too, they are just a bunch of rip-off merchants!!! When I paid the £100 they claimed we owed them, I thought that was it and he said he never wanted to see another Bank-Smart letter in our house ever again!! We both felt physically sick when the £480 invoice arrived!

This company are a joke - for some time they have not offered a telephone service, now they do but they are "all busy", fair enough, but when you are supposedly given a chance to leave a message, an American female voice comes on saying "The person at extension 101 is not available and this mailbox cannot accept any more messages!"

Shocking beyond belief, glad to see they are being investigated.

Agnes Jane Steinson
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 3rd Feb 17, 4:36 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    Hi Agnes

I suspect that the £100 that you paid them and the additional money they're asking for is for 'breach of contract' for not returning paperwork.

They exploit the otherwise innocuous looking clause 2.15 in their terms & conditions https://www.bank-smart.co.uk/terms_and_conditions.pdf

In the first instance you need to make a formal complaint to them for the return of your £100. If they refuse you are then entitled to take the complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.
    • agnesjanesteinson
    • By agnesjanesteinson 16th Feb 17, 7:01 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    agnesjanesteinson
    Bank-Smart hassling us
    Dear Sirs

Having read some of the posts on here, I am writing to say that I too am disgusted with Bank-Smart. I am sure I have posted on here before about them but here is a quick recap.

Several years ago (perhaps around 2007 but I can't remember) I engaged their services to try and claim back PPI from a range of credit cards etc that I had. Ever since then they have done nothing but repeatedly ask for paperwork which I no longer have, ask my husband and I to complete forms time and time again with information they should already have (they claim the lender needs an update of the information every 6 months or so!!) A lot of their questions we can't remember the answers to as it is so long ago, but they won't allow "Don't know" or "Can't remember" as a response and expect you to contact them for help before returning the forms! However, for some time they did not offer a telephone advice service, now they do but they may as well not, as they are only available 10 am til 4 pm, ok I get that, but when I phoned them this American voice came on saying to leave a message as they were all busy, then it said, after the beep when I could supposedly leave a message, "The person on extension 101 is not available" and the line went dead! Shocking customer service!

In 2012 they led me to believe that Welcome Finance owed me £10k in a PPI refund and they could claim it back for me. I instructed them to go ahead. However no refund was forthcoming, just more requests for paperwork, and when I contacted the lender direct they said they did not owe me any refund.

Now, to cap it all, Bank-Smart phoned our house yesterday and left a message, then today we received a letter billing us for the £480 we supposedly still owe them. I recently paid them £100 and thought that was it; they have apparently done work on our behalf but as far as we see they have done nothing to assist us, they are just stressing us out! We are thinking of seeking legal advice, or going to the Citizens Advice Bureau, but first I thought I would contact yourselves as I have seen several complaints on your website about the company, and I even saw a post that stated the CMC (I think that's who it was) is looking to get Bank-Smart shut down.

My husband and I are really scared in case Bank-Smart try to take us to court for their fees, that is the last thing we want, but I do not intend contacting or paying them, and we just want the whole matter finished with!! Wish we had never started with them.

Please can you advise us on what to do next as this is ruining our lives!!!

Thankyou.

Agnes Jane Steinson
    • societys child
    • By societys child 16th Feb 17, 7:14 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 5,044 Thanks
    societys child
    Please can you advise us on what to do next as this is ruining our lives!!!
    Post #203, immediately above your latest post, advised you what to do, 2 weeks a

Alpine Star: Quote
    In the first instance you need to make a formal complaint to them for the return of your £100. If they refuse you are then entitled to take the complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.
    Have you done as advised yet?

• agnesjanesteinson
    • By agnesjanesteinson 16th Feb 17, 7:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    agnesjanesteinson
    I have just read some of the previous replies that were posted before I posted tonight's message. Yes the £100 and the £480 are "fees for breach of contract"! I am tempted to parcel up all the paperwork I have from Bank-Smart, or scan it, and send it to Money Saving Expert for their perusal but I don't know if that would help. My husband said tonight when he saw what we received today that we should just pay them, but having seen stuff on here about them I am reluctant to do so!!! They really are a joke and I will not be phoning or contacting them; yet as I said in my earlier post tonight, we are scared of being threatened with court action and feel we need to take advice from this website, a solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau! And I am tempted to tell them that I will be taking advice because of what I have seen on here; I will have a look at the link you posted to their Terms and Conditions.

Any further thoughts please? Thanking you in anticipation.

Agnes Jane Steinson
    • agnesjanesteinson
    • By agnesjanesteinson 16th Feb 17, 7:21 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    agnesjanesteinson
    Not yet but I will certainly do it soon as this is driving us insane!! Thanks.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 16th Feb 17, 7:58 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 5,044 Thanks
    societys child
    Not yet but I will certainly do it soon as this is driving us insane!! Thanks.
    It's your only course of action really.

Note that Martin sold this site some years ago and isn't likely to "take on" cases for the forum users, neither are the website owners.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Feb 17, 8:33 PM
    • 19,542 Posts
    • 9,638 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I am tempted to parcel up all the paperwork I have from Bank-Smart, or scan it, and send it to Money Saving Expert for their perusal
    Originally posted by agnesjanesteinson
    They'll just send it straight back to you.

In your situation, I'd make an appointment with the Citizen's Advice Bureau who should be able to help you construct a complaint to Bank Smart which you can then refer to the Legal Ombudsman once rejected or ignored.
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 16-02-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    • agnesjanesteinson
    • By agnesjanesteinson 3rd Mar 17, 10:43 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    agnesjanesteinson
    I have tried to make an appointment with CAB but could only leave a message on their voicemail, this was about a week ago and nobody has returned my call yet.

I e-mailed Bank-Smart today requesting my £100 back and telling them exactly what I think (yet again!!), I know they tried to phone my mobile earlier but I rejected the call!

What on earth to do now........
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 19,542 Posts
    • 9,638 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I have tried to make an appointment with CAB but could only leave a message on their voicemail, this was about a week ago and nobody has returned my call yet.
    Originally posted by agnesjanesteinson
    Go and see them in person or have more patience...
    • Carnold2911
    • By Carnold2911 30th Aug 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carnold2911
    Hi,
    I had brief dealings with Banksmart about 9 years ago if not more, cant remember exactly how long but it was before I got married 8 years ago and at an old address. I had initially proceeded with the quote for how much they thought I could claim back and sent bank statements and permission for them to contact the Halifax. Again I cant remember what the figure was but it wasnt very much and I decided against persuing it.so didnt contanct the ombudsman like they instructed me to. I had a few emails and letters from them, I told them I wasnt persuing the claim and heard no more from them. I got married a year or more after, moved house a couple of years after and now approximately 9 years later have recieved a few letters telling me I owe them just £1157.05, they sent faded almost unreadable copies of letters they had apparently originally sent to recover whatever debt, I hadnt recieved these letters as if they had sent them to my old address they hadnt been forwarded to me. I binned the first letter thinking this must be a joke, its addressed in my maiden name anyway, they never recovered any money as I hadnt proceeded with it yet they were making out I hadnt paid them after they had recovered money. I didnt think Id hear anything else, but since have recieved a few more letters stating they were taking it to court and today a notice of enforcement from marston for a total of £1247.96. Im taking this to my local CAB tomorrow to see what can be done as I have no intention of paying that amount of money for a service I hadnt actually used over 9 years ago! Has anyone else had any joy with solicitors etc, I have scrolled through the thread but cant seem to find any positive outcome from anyone unless Ive missed it.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 31st Aug 17, 12:31 AM
    • 19,542 Posts
    • 9,638 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Im taking this to my local CAB tomorrow
    Originally posted by Carnold2911
    A wise idea..
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 31st Aug 17, 6:51 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    I didnt think Id hear anything else, but since have recieved a few more letters stating they were taking it to court and today a notice of enforcement from marston for a total of £1247.96.
    Originally posted by Carnold2911

If the alleged debt is over 6 years old it would be statute barred under the Limitations Act.
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 31st Aug 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    If you didn't receive the actual court claim you should apply to have the judgment set aside on that basis.
    • Tapask
    • By Tapask 11th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tapask
    Need to take legal action against bank-smart
    s I said before that you are threating to the WRONG PERSON because you know that your company is a DOGGY ROGUE TRADER.
    I am going to take legal action for harassing me for past 8 years causing me very STRESS which is very harmful to my HEALTH ( I AM TREMBLING WITH ANGER DURING THE WRITING)I NEVER OWED BANK-SMART A PENNY WHICH I SAID SEVERAL TIMES. You also have lied that you have received a payment of £50 on 18th May 2012 which is a BIG LIE. I have enough knowledge about litigation so I can handle BULLY AND A CON ARTIST LIKE YOU.
    This year is too LATE FOR WATCHDOG but I promise you that I will OPEN FCA's eyes about BANK-SMART WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO 1000'S F PEOPLE.
    I DON'T CALL SIR/MADAM OR SHOW ANY GRATITUDE TO CON PEOPLE/COMPANY LIKE YOU BECAUSE I DESPISE THEM AND WISH THEY ROT IN HELL.
    My email is chatterjee.tapas@ymail.com so please contact me
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 13,677 Posts
    • 14,139 Thanks
    zx81
    DOGGY ROGUE TRADER.
    Originally posted by Tapask
    Should definitely report them to Watchdog.

You may want to remove your email address from your post, unless you want to receive new and exciting investment opportunities from around the world.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin