Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Benefit entitlement for single parent and full ti... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Benefit entitlement for single parent and full time student
Closed Thread
Views: 4,833
# 1
Shelley84
Old 16-07-2009, 10:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Benefit entitlement for single parent and full time student

Hi,

I am being made redundant at the end of Aug. My redundancy pay is around 1k.

I am going to be going to college full time in sept. I am a single parent who lives with my mum and son.

My monthly pay will go from 1800 to 400!!!

Any ideas of benefits I can claim? - I will be looking for part time work to fit around college.

From what I can see, all the benefits for unemployed single parents are not given to those who are also students!

Any help?!
OU Student
DD131 and DSE141 started

2014 is my year to save, save and save some more
# 2
SuperRy
Old 04-08-2009, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Benefit entitlement for single parent and full time student...anyone??

I too am currently contemplating a similar situation. I however have been made redundant and i am in the middle of a degree course part-time. I would like to pursue the degree on a full-time basis, but due to financial constraints i.e. mortgage and bills etc, it seems a little to far to achieve.

Does anyone know of any funding available?

Shelly84...did anyone get back to you??

SuperRy
# 3
SuperRy
Old 04-08-2009, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

if you are a student studying in wales your maybe entitled to a part-time course grant and also, if you have children and live at home and are over 25 (i think) you maybe entitled to an adult dependency grant.

because i am new, i cannot post a link, please look on google for - student finance wales . co . uk

If like me, you have been made redundant in wales, then look into the ReAct scheme for 2500 in training fees that you would be entitled to to help you get employment. Contact your local job centre or career wales centre.

again, google for more info

Hope this is useful to someone

SuperRy
# 4
alwaysonthego
Old 04-08-2009, 2:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

To the op,

When you say your monthly pay is going to be 400 per month, what is it consisting of?
I'm a Board Guide on the Benefits & Tax Credits, Food Shopping & Groceries, Freebies (no spend required), Health & Fitness, Marriage, Relationships & Families, Music MoneySaving, Special Occasions & Other Celebrations boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. However, please remember board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this).
The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysonthego For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
student_advisor
Old 04-08-2009, 7:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley84 View Post
Any ideas of benefits I can claim? - I will be looking for part time work to fit around college.
Depends on the age of your child and what course you'll be doing. The best thing to do is to contact the college you want to study at. They should have a welfare advisor who can discuss your entitlement with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley84 View Post
From what I can see, all the benefits for unemployed single parents are not given to those who are also students!
This is not the case at all, student lone parents are generally entitled to more that other students, and are funded on a par with those who do nothing for certain courses, for other courses, you end up with more.
# 6
belinda_67
Old 05-08-2009, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i am a single parent in full time college...you can certainly claim an alg grant of 1,500....and possible a fcf grant all according which type of course you are doing..grant forms are available from your local college.
# 7
student_advisor
Old 05-08-2009, 8:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinda_67 View Post
i am a single parent in full time college...you can certainly claim an alg grant of 1,500
Not if you receive earnings-replacement benefits and only for certain courses, depending on your previous qualifications.
The Following User Says Thank You to student_advisor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
alwaysonthego
Old 05-08-2009, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student_advisor View Post
Not if you receive earnings-replacement benefits and only for certain courses, depending on your previous qualifications.
The op could be entitled to IS if the course is under 16 hours and depending on her income so would not be entitled to ALG!
I'm a Board Guide on the Benefits & Tax Credits, Food Shopping & Groceries, Freebies (no spend required), Health & Fitness, Marriage, Relationships & Families, Music MoneySaving, Special Occasions & Other Celebrations boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. However, please remember board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this).
The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysonthego For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
emmwri
Old 05-08-2009, 9:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As already mentioned, the best people to speak to are the welfare advisors at the college. I am currently a single parent on income support etc and am planning to apply to start a full time degree course next september. i had absolutely no luck calling the government benefit agencies so i contacted the university direct and they gave me a rough guide of what i could claim and how much. even though i am not yet a student there, they were very helpful and got back to me straight away. hope you get some answers soon
# 10
mummytofour
Old 06-08-2009, 3:05 PM

Most college courses are less than 16 hrs per week. If so you will still get your IS/JSA and whatever you are getting now.

Good luck at college.
Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
# 11
miznikki1981
Old 12-06-2011, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default benefit entitlement

Im confused about what benefits i may be entiltled too, I will be coming out of full time employment and will be starting university,full time, in september, i have 1 child and have no idea where to start ? can somebody help me or point me in the right direction??
# 12
dmg24
Old 12-06-2011, 1:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by miznikki1981 View Post
Im confused about what benefits i may be entiltled too, I will be coming out of full time employment and will be starting university,full time, in september, i have 1 child and have no idea where to start ? can somebody help me or point me in the right direction??
Have you submitted your Student Finance application? How old is your child?
# 13
miznikki1981
Old 12-06-2011, 1:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have applied for a maintence grant, which has been successful, been told i will recieve 2324, the fees loan was denied? wondering if this is to do with the fact its is a nursing course? hoping to be eligable for a nhs bursery but so far have had no information through about this either? my child is 5 years old
# 14
MrsManda
Old 12-06-2011, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miznikki1981 View Post
I have applied for a maintence grant, which has been successful, been told i will recieve 2324, the fees loan was denied? wondering if this is to do with the fact its is a nursing course? hoping to be eligable for a nhs bursery but so far have had no information through about this either? my child is 5 years old
If you are studying an NHS funded course your fees are paid by the NHS so you cannot get a tuition fee loan as you have no fees to pay.
You can apply for a NHS bursary through here:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/967.aspx

Have a look here for more information:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...time/DG_171537
# 15
Ettenna
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsManda View Post
If you are studying an NHS funded course your fees are paid by the NHS so you cannot get a tuition fee loan as you have no fees to pay.
You can apply for a NHS bursary through here:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/967.aspx

Have a look here for more information:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...time/DG_171537
Are you doing degree or diploma?

Either way you can't actually apply for the NHS bursary until you have received your bursary number. They are being sent out any time from now until July apparently.

Within the NHS bursary you should be able to get dependants allowance and parental learning allowance.
Closed Thread