Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    leonie
    Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.
    • 11th Apr 06, 2:37 PM
    Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making. 11th Apr 06 at 2:37 PM
    My son loves those yakkult type drinks that are very expensive, and to be honest, he's a healthy young lad and he doesnt need it!

Anyway I've decided to get some kefir grains and let him make our own yoghurt drinks. Once you have the kefir grains, you simply add milk and you end up with a drink that is loads better for you than those expensive pro-biotic drinks. And all for the price of a cup of milk.

Its supposed to be good for everyone, including babies and pregnant women. Its simply friendly bacteria that help out in the gut. The difference is that kefir can sometimes colonize the gut and keep on working, unlike yoghurt drinks.

Does anyone else drink kefir? I have to say I did a search in the archives and theres nothing really on the subject.
Page 25
    • Alisha2008
    • By Alisha2008 12th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    Alisha2008
    I'm sure it's good for you but kefir has absolutely nothing to do with greek yogurt, so don't be dissapointed when you try it!!

I did drink it for a while when i had stomach problems (don't think it helped) but I always hated the taste, it's like drinking sour milk.
    • shykins
    • By shykins 12th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 5,496 Thanks
    shykins
    I re strain my kefir and it's thick like a Greek yoghurt, you couldn't drink it from a glass. It is more soury than yoghurt tho
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
    • GardenGirl77
    • By GardenGirl77 12th Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    GardenGirl77
    Thank you, I'm still intrigued enough to have a go, mainly because it's supposed to be so good for you. Re the sourness - presumably if it's strained you could treat it like yoghurt and sweeten with fruit or honey?
    • shykins
    • By shykins 13th Oct 17, 7:09 AM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 5,496 Thanks
    shykins
    oh yes you can add sweetener to it if its too sour for you. i add peanut butter and/or da vinci sugar free syrups
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 14th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 39,444 Thanks
    Caterina
    Or if you don't strain it you can make smoothie with it, just add a banana and a couple of dates for sweetness. And because they are good prebiotics (e.g. the stuff that your good bacteria feed on).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • GardenGirl77
    • By GardenGirl77 14th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    GardenGirl77
    Brilliant thank you for those ideas. I'll let you know how I get on...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,130Posts Today

6,683Users online

Martin's Twitter