Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    leonie
    Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.
    • 11th Apr 06, 2:37 PM
    Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making. 11th Apr 06 at 2:37 PM
    My son loves those yakkult type drinks that are very expensive, and to be honest, he's a healthy young lad and he doesnt need it!

Anyway I've decided to get some kefir grains and let him make our own yoghurt drinks. Once you have the kefir grains, you simply add milk and you end up with a drink that is loads better for you than those expensive pro-biotic drinks. And all for the price of a cup of milk.

Its supposed to be good for everyone, including babies and pregnant women. Its simply friendly bacteria that help out in the gut. The difference is that kefir can sometimes colonize the gut and keep on working, unlike yoghurt drinks.

Does anyone else drink kefir? I have to say I did a search in the archives and theres nothing really on the subject.
Page 24
    • shykins
    • By shykins 24th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    shykins
    Caterina glad they are still going, mine are languishing in the freezer as I am going to be away and needed a break from them. Hopefully they will reignite, if not I will call on you for a swap again lol

Squiggles are yours water kefir grains? Mine (and Caterinas) are milk grains and turn the milk into a thick youghurty sustance
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 24th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 2,285 Thanks
    squiggles
    Caterina glad they are still going, mine are languishing in the freezer as I am going to be away and needed a break from them. Hopefully they will reignite, if not I will call on you for a swap again lol

Squiggles are yours water kefir grains? Mine (and Caterinas) are milk grains and turn the milk into a thick youghurty sustance
    Originally posted by shykins
    I've had both milk and water grains. I tried the milk ones first and they didn't work well, like milk coloured vinegar. I used various milks, full fat, goats, jersey organic and powdered marvel and it didn't make a difference and neither did extending or reducing the standing time. I got the fizzy but not the taste and the crystals multiplied to more than I could eat.

The water crystals were no better, it fizzed and multiplied but tasted foul.
    • shykins
    • By shykins 24th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    shykins
    Hmm that's very strange never had that with mine. Just put them in with milk, leave the, a day then strain off and voila yoghurt

Maybe you could try some of Catrina,s in case you had a bad batch

• purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 3rd Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Hi,
    I tried (not desperately successfully ) quite a lot of years ago to make kefir. I have had IBS for a few years now, not been much of a problem, but about 6 weeks ago it made me quite ill. For several weeks.

I'm having a go at my microbiome. Been reading about what to have and what not to have. I basically cook from scratch, so not too many nasties in the way of 'chemicals' get in my food, but looking at possibilities for the 'things to have'.

Cabbage type stuff is absolutely no good for me.

I started a new probiotic about 10 days ago and supplementing with a regular type. I eat live yogurt that I make myself. I wasn't desperately keen on taste of kefir, which was why I gave up, but prepared to give it a go for health reasons if I can make it so it is just unpalatable and not tasting ' off'!

So thinking I will order some grains off Amazon and get cracking.

Advice or suggestions welcome. Seem from reading this thread that different people find different things work.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 3rd Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Oh dear...... I just read some earlier messages here and see that the kefir sends everyone running for the loo. I don't need the kefir for that. Is it likely to make me worse? I was hoping by improving the gut biome I would modify my IBS-D
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 7th Oct 17, 2:00 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    purpleivy
    My grains arrived yesterday. Rinsed in milk as directed. More milk on and then looked at it this morning. Milk didn't look thickened, was directed not to use first batch so didn't even taste it. The grains looked better than yesterday. Have put some more milk on it.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 7th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 39,244 Thanks
    Caterina
    If you want your kefir thicker without leaving it to ferment too long (otherwise it becomes quite sour), as you see the separation of milk solids and whey from the jar, do the following:

Using the handle of a clean wooden spoon, poke holes through the kefir on the sides of the jar so you can drain the whey first. Using a non metal colander to catch any grains and thicker kefir, carefully drain as much whey as you can. Collect that whey (inevitably with a bit of kefir in) in a separate jar and use in smoothies, or to make bread or scones, it really makes a nice substitute for buttermilk in soda bread.

Proceed to strain the rest of kefir normally, it will be much thicker.

I find this way much easier and less fiddly than using a muslin to strain the whole caboodle!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 7th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    purpleivy
    It doesn't seem to have separated at all. I'm wondering if it's not warm enough in the kitchen. I will give it a couple of days and see how it goes.
    I'm not sure what you mean by poking holes in the kefir. there are only a tsp of grains and in little bits. I will leave it till morning and see how it is then.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 8th Oct 17, 8:04 AM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 39,244 Thanks
    Caterina
    I mean when it looks thick, poke holes on the sides with the wooden spoon handle to release the pockets of whey that form at the bottom. Perhaps yours is still too little, once it grows to the volume of 3 tbsp or so (grains) and you use a pint of milk you'll see it happen. For now just feed it new milk every 3 days or so and you'll see the grains multiply in a couple of weeks. Cold doesn't bother it too much unless your kitchen is freezing. It slows it but you can even ferment in the fridge, it just takes longer. Hope this helps, feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 8th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Thanks for your support Caterina. This morning the milk has definitely got a sour taste, it's had an extra 12 hours or so, so probably too far. I couldn't face it any way! Even to support my body! I need to decide how I will drink it, preferably without my breath held and a peg on my nose! I have some apple puree on the go at the moment, unsweetened, so maybe that would be OK.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 8th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I have a plan! I'm going to buy a bottle to see how it's supposed to taste.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 8th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Another question. How much kefir is a therapeutic dose?
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 8th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 39,244 Thanks
    Caterina
    Hi,

Homemade kefir IS fairly sour, no comparison with the mild fizzy plastic bottled ones. It's a bit of an acquired taste. If you can't stomach is like that, one way is to use it in a smoothie blend with a banana and a couple of dates.

Not sure what the therapeutic dose is, people vary in size, need and also microbiome! I drink a full glass, like water glasses, maybe 1/4 litre, a bit less than 1/2 pint. It varies. Or put it in the blender with fruit.

Try fermenting it slowly in the fridge, it might help the taste. Best wishes with it!
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 9th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Well, it's definitely getting more lively. The last 24 hr batch was just mildly changed in flavour, this batch, slightly under 24 hours has completely separated. Something is happening at last!
    • shykins
    • By shykins 10th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    shykins
    from what i have seen the stuff sold in the bottles bears NO resemblance to my kefir whatsoever. i usually strain my grains out through a small plastic sieve and save it up in the fridge

depending on how much i have i then restrain through muslin ending up with a very thick yoghurt/cream cheese consistency. i mix this with things like peanut butter, berries and some sugar free syrup and eat as a pudding. i discard the whey as i have no use for it

oh and i have never found it makes me run to the loo

hope that helps

• Caterina
    • By Caterina 11th Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 39,244 Thanks
    Caterina
    Shykins the whey can be used to bake, add to soups or dilute to feed plants, it's ever so nutritious and got a lot of good bacteria!
    • shykins
    • By shykins 11th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    shykins
    That's interesting caterina, I don't bake cakes, bread etc as I don't eat them but feeding to plants is an idea I shall look into!!

• GardenGirl77
    • By GardenGirl77 11th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    GardenGirl77
    Hi everyone,
    I am really interested in having a go at making kefir. Do you just buy grains then put in some milk and leave to multiply, feed, leave, etc? It sounds straightforward but I've got a feeling it might be more complicated than I think!
    • shykins
    • By shykins 11th Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    shykins
    Pretty much yes it really is that easy

Put grains in milk, strain the kefir off and put the grains in fresh milk. Repeat

• GardenGirl77
    • By GardenGirl77 11th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    GardenGirl77
    Thank you shykins. I hadn't heard of kefir until I read The Clever Guts Diet by Michael Moseley but I sounds so good for you and I love Greek yogurt so will definitely give it a try.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,402Users online

Martin's Twitter