Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    leonie
    Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.
    • 11th Apr 06, 2:37 PM
    Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making. 11th Apr 06 at 2:37 PM
    My son loves those yakkult type drinks that are very expensive, and to be honest, he's a healthy young lad and he doesnt need it!

Anyway I've decided to get some kefir grains and let him make our own yoghurt drinks. Once you have the kefir grains, you simply add milk and you end up with a drink that is loads better for you than those expensive pro-biotic drinks. And all for the price of a cup of milk.

Its supposed to be good for everyone, including babies and pregnant women. Its simply friendly bacteria that help out in the gut. The difference is that kefir can sometimes colonize the gut and keep on working, unlike yoghurt drinks.

Does anyone else drink kefir? I have to say I did a search in the archives and theres nothing really on the subject.
Page 23
    • shykins
    • By shykins 2nd Feb 17, 2:00 PM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    shykins
    i saw the program last night and found the information re Kefir drinks interesting but they cost something like £1.95 a bottle!!!
    as i understand it the bottles are bascially kefir 'watered' down with milk

compared to the few pence my kefir costs me and the fact that its not 'watered' down it has to be as good if not better than the bottles

caterina so sorry but i dont have an spare grains mine seem to have stopped multiplying lately. shame as these are babies of the ones you sent to me last year and would be nice to send you some back
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 11th Feb 17, 6:49 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 27,020 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I just noticed today that this thread had been resurrected, thank you for doing so Caterina.

My grains have been sat in milk at the back of the fridge for a great many months a few days ago I decided to see if they would burst into life, I rinsed them and put in a jar with some organic whole milk. There are 6/7 good sized clumps and I think (fingers crossed that they are beginning to work, the milk I strained off tasted "right" and not at all nasty and I have put them in a warmer corner of the kitchen. I have kept the liquid, given a little to the dog who loved it previously and the bowl has been licked clean, I am hoping to try to make GF flatbread and/or bread soon so may use the kefir in that if it seems OK, wish me luck

Previously I was not too keen on the taste, but having now become a regular user of Sauerkraut (bought organic non heat treated so far) I think I will find it easier, hoping it will help my particularly nasty spell of IBS.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 12th Feb 17, 9:53 AM
    • 5,683 Posts
    • 39,208 Thanks
    Caterina
    Shykins goodness me you managed to let my old grain survive all this time, good for you! I neglected mine during holidays and they died.

Well, I hope that someone else will pick up this thread and if they have grains let me know please!

Maddiemay, why not make your own sauerkraut, it's so easy! You just chop a head of white cabbage into fine strips, then mix it with a tablespoon of good quality salt (like sea salt or Himalayan) and pummel it into chucking up its own liquid, then pack it into a wide mouthed kilner type jar, pushing it well to be covered by its juice. Put a clean stone or even a sandwich bag filled with water and sealed, on top, to keep the cabbage submerged, close the lid then let it ferment. "Burp" it every day or so to avoid it exploding! Honestly, once you make your own you will resent paying the silly prices of commercial unpasturised ones!
    Last edited by Caterina; 12-02-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • shykins
    • By shykins 12th Feb 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    shykins
    caterina they were such good grains they have lasted despite having been refrigerated a few times for holidays etc. if they start multiplying i will let you know and you can have some, hopefully if it warms a little they might grow a bit more

maddie i sometimes i find i have to rinse them every day when they have been in a fridge and it can take up to a week for them to come back to life so to speak

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Feb 17, 4:15 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 27,020 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Shykins goodness me you managed to let my old grain survive all this time, good for you! I neglected mine during holidays and they died.

Well, I hope that someone else will pick up this thread and if they have grains let me know please!

Maddiemay, why not make your own sauerkraut, it's so easy! You just chop a head of white cabbage into fine strips, then mix it with a tablespoon of good quality salt (like sea salt or Himalayan) and pummel it into chucking up its own liquid, then pack it into a wide mouthed kilner type jar, pushing it well to be covered by its juice. Put a clean stone or even a sandwich bag filled with water and sealed, on top, to keep the cabbage submerged, close the lid then let it ferment. "Burp" it every day or so to avoid it exploding! Honestly, once you make your own you will resent paying the silly prices of commercial unpasturised ones!
    Originally posted by Caterina
    Caterina, I have bought cabbage in readiness, but on checking today I do not have a spare suitable jar, I will get one tomorrow and begin, thank you for your easy to understand instructions. I will report back

I recognise your name from the daily thread, which I have been lurking on for a few weeks, I may pluck up courage and see if I can join you from time to time
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Feb 17, 4:22 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 27,020 Thanks
    maddiemay
    caterina they were such good grains they have lasted despite having been refrigerated a few times for holidays etc. if they start multiplying i will let you know and you can have some, hopefully if it warms a little they might grow a bit more

maddie i sometimes i find i have to rinse them every day when they have been in a fridge and it can take up to a week for them to come back to life so to speak
    Originally posted by shykins
    shykins - thanks for this, I rinsed them just and will try it for a few days
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Feb 17, 7:48 AM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 60,942 Thanks
    kittie
    as i understand it the bottles are bascially kefir 'watered' down with milk
    Originally posted by shykins
    what makes you say that shykins? watered down means adding water, I understand that the manufacturers would have to add milk to feed the grains so that the kefir in a bottle has a bit longer `use by date`.

My kefir is back into full swing, took a while to get used to the taste again, the fact that I have never liked to drink neat milk but love it now. Me and my siblings grew up having kefir every day of our young lives in the 50s, we are amazingly healthy even today

I have frozen some in large ice cubes, belt and braces just in case, as it can be revived from the cubes and I think I will also dehydrate grains when I have allowed enough to grow again. These will also be frozen and will be fine for 12 months. I have lost grains in the past so never say never

re sauerkraut, yes I second the fact that it is very easy. I use a special 5 litre pot and a sawn off granite rolling pin for pounding. It keeps well when packed in jars, I keep it dark and in a cool place. We used to buy it from a market stall, from a large barrel. None pasteurised, like I make now

I also make sourdough bread, so my house is culture heaven
    • shykins
    • By shykins 20th Feb 17, 8:40 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    shykins
    perhaps i should have said 'milked' down?

caterina i could probably spare you a teaspoon or 2 if you still dont have any grains

• Caterina
    • By Caterina 20th Feb 17, 8:53 AM
    • 5,683 Posts
    • 39,208 Thanks
    Caterina
    Thank you Shykins, will PM you now xx
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 20th Feb 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 27,020 Thanks
    maddiemay
    My Kefir grains are coming back to life and looking good I keep having a taste from the plastic spoon after stirring or straining to get used to the taste, but have not actually taken any yet as I have had very bad IBS for a few months which is improving, but in view of the "cleansing effect" that some people have reported, not dared to take any on days I have needed to be out of the house for a long spell Dear Dog loves it though and is being given a few tablespoons each day instead of buying "good" yogurt for her - the bowl is always licked clean.

As of this morning I now have everything I need to start off the sauerkraut, spending time in the garden today while it is warm and sunny, and need to do baking first, but will try and get going with the cabbage shredding soon, I do have a food processor so shouldn't take too long.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 20th Feb 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I love the sound of this - very keen on natural yoghurt type things. How much do you need to be making to keep it "ticking over"? I live alone, would love to try but don't want to be swimming in it...
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • katkin
    • By katkin 20th Feb 17, 4:31 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    katkin
    As I love natural yogurt, especially thick Greek yogurt I thought I'd enjoy kefir. Got grains from eBay and they did well but could not adjust to the taste of them at all.

I read here with envy and think I should try again, but I'm cautious..I tried using full fat, organic milk as well as various skimmed types but still couldn't stomach the taste. I gagged.

What else can you use them with? Is juice or broth a no no?

My neighbour is Korean and makes kimchi, she has gifted me some several times and it's amazing. I'm plucking up the courage to ask her how to make it. Google and pootube have lots of info but she'd be the best person to impart that knowledge. We get on really well, she's a great neighbour but we have a bit of a language barrier.
    • shykins
    • By shykins 21st Feb 17, 8:11 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    shykins
    Rosemary i am the only one in my house who eats it. I just put half cup of milk/cream (roughly) in mine thats sually turns it to kefir in a day or so depending on how warm it is. you can also do it in the fridge if you are making too much as this will slow it down considerably

personally i always re-strain mine so i have a thick cream cheese consistency. i then mix this with no sugar peanut butter with some syrup sweetener or with grated dark chocolate. you could add fruit if you wanted.

katkin to make kefir the grains need the dairy as i understand it there is a different type of grain which ferments in water etc. i may have that wrong and hopefully someone else can clarify this

would be interested in the kimchi info from the neighbour!!!

• Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 21st Feb 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    Thanks shykins. I shall give it a go! Ebay here I come
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 21st Feb 17, 10:02 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 4,037 Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    I love kefir - I picked up the habit when I lived in eastern Europe, as its very popular there.

I have had some grains for a couple of years; I keep them in a metal tea strainer which I always have in a jug of milk. I get the milk cheap from the Co-Op at the end of the day when it's marked down, about 50p for two litres.

So this way I get lovely thick kefir for 25p a litre. Over the last couple of years I must have saved quite a lot of money I think.

The grains don't seem to multiply in the tea strainer, I suspect it's like keeping a goldfish in a small bowl, it won't grow any bigger. However I don't mind that as I always felt a bit guilty about throwing them away because I used to have so many.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
    • ZenLikeBalance
    • By ZenLikeBalance 10th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ZenLikeBalance
    Just ordered some grains
    Hi all

I've just ordered a tsp of grains, hoping i'll have them by Wednesday. I hope to replace my greek yogurt habit with this. Was spending £5.50 per week

On a practical note, I'll need muslin, a large kilner jar, a funnel (I have a spoon and jug). And then something to carry it into work with I guess.

So my questions are:
    Will 4 pints of milk turn into 4 pints of kefir? I'm thinking to have 250ml a day.
    If i get a large glass jar, would I make it twice a week, or is more often better?
    Will it spoil if its not refrigerated at work (out of the fridge for 10 hours before consumption)?

Thanks for your help
    • shykins
    • By shykins 10th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    shykins
    i do approx quarter a pint a day. put that much milk in and then strain it off approx 24 hrs later. with a teaspoon you may have to start off with less than that initially until your grains start multiplying

i dont refrigerate mine when setting so am sure it will be fine out of the fridge to take to work every day

you dont need a funnel as you can just strain it through a finish sieve (if you have one) or line one with muslin if its too open. you might find using a funnel will clog up too much

hope that helps

• ZenLikeBalance
    • By ZenLikeBalance 10th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ZenLikeBalance
    Thank you. Yes that helps. the less kit I need the better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,301Posts Today

6,982Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin