Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Treder
    Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
    • 12th Jul 09, 5:59 PM
    Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) 12th Jul 09 at 5:59 PM
    Hi,

Have an interview with Jobcentreplus tomorrow. I know I am entitled to claim Contribution Based JSA (looking for work, was made redunant, not working over 16 hours a week, am over 18). However, they are going to ask me to supply evidence of my bank statements and savings etc. As this type of JSA is not means tested (as opposed to Income Based JSA) does anyone have a site I can use to print off evidence to give to them to show that I am not obliged to provide exact details of my total savings. I'd like to go there prepared with some information as I am definitely going to refuse to tell them how much I've got. All advice very much appreciated.

Last edited by Treder; 12-07-2009 at 6:04 PM.
Page 1
  • costaerer
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:15 PM
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:15 PM
    i claimed means tested and i didnt have to show them bank statements.
  • NASA
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:17 PM
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:17 PM
    Hi,

Have an interview with Jobcentreplus tomorrow. I know I am entitled to claim Contribution Based JSA (looking for work, was made redunant, not working over 16 hours a week, am over 18). However, they are going to ask me to supply evidence of my bank statements and savings etc. As this type of JSA is not means tested (as opposed to Income Based JSA) does anyone have a site I can use to print off evidence to give to them to show that I am not obliged to provide exact details of my total savings. I'd like to go there prepared with some information as I am definitely going to refuse to tell them how much I've got. All advice very much appreciated.

Originally posted by Treder
    I dont see why they would ask that question if you indicate at the start that you arent interested in claiming the Income Related part. You can have a million pounds in the bank and get JSSA(C).
    • hayley11
    • By hayley11 12th Jul 09, 6:21 PM
    • 7,363 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    hayley11
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:21 PM
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:21 PM
    I would go to the appointment without the bank statements, it looks like whoever told you to take them made a mistake.

Don't not go because of this because it'll just hold your claim up.
    Think happy & you'll be happy
    I my doggies
  • Treder
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:22 PM
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:22 PM
    I agree. I told them during my hour long! phone call that I am not entitled to Income Based JSA and do not want to claim it yet they still insisted on asking loads of information about not only my savings but also my partner's which really irked me. When i refused to be specific about my savings, the lady on the telephone said "well how much over 16,000 - 1000?" What a joke! I said it made no difference if i had 100K or 17K to her. I am ready for a battle tomorrow when I got to the Jobcentre. I really appreciate your replies. If there is any more advice all will be much appreciated.
    • hayley11
    • By hayley11 12th Jul 09, 6:33 PM
    • 7,363 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    hayley11
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:33 PM
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:33 PM
    I wouldn't go in with that attitude - "ready for battle" - it seems the lady you spoke to had a bit of an attitude and didn't know what she was talking about but the person you see tomorrow may be perfectly nice and reasonable.
    Think happy & you'll be happy
    I my doggies
  • dookar
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:37 PM
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:37 PM
    Hi,

In order for your claim to be valid, you must present all requested evidence requirements within 30 days of the date on which you notified your intention to claim.

You have been requested to provide your bank statements, should you not then the claim will be defective.
  • Treder
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:41 PM
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:41 PM
    In order for your claim to be valid, you must present all requested evidence requirements within 30 days of the date on which you notified your intention to claim.

You have been requested to provide your bank statements, should you not then the claim will be defective.
    Originally posted by dookar
    Hi,

Where did you get this information from? The only reason I can see for providing such information is if they prioritise Income Based JSA over Contribution Based JSA. I have found nothing to suggest that you can only claim Contribution Based JSA if you are not eligible for Income Based JSA. Is the information you provide formally written down in some Act or Agreement? Thanks for advice which is really appreciated.
    • terryw
    • By terryw 12th Jul 09, 6:42 PM
    • 3,818 Posts
    • 5,978 Thanks
    terryw
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:42 PM
    • 12th Jul 09, 6:42 PM

The OP is claiming JSA CONTRIBUTION BASED. His savings have nothing to do with this at all and he is under no obligation whatsoever either legally or morally to provide this detail.

OP....I feel that you have been misinformed by a badly-trained or new member of staff. If you have problems here (which I doubt) merely ask for a supervisor or a manger to explain your point and correct this situation.
  • dookar
    Hi,

Where did you get this information from? The only reason I can see for providing such information is if they prioritise Income Based JSA over Contribution Based JSA. I have found nothing to suggest that you can only claim Contribution Based JSA if you are not eligible for Income Based JSA. Is the information you provide formally written down in some Act or Agreement? Thanks for advice which is really appreciated.
    It is, I'll see if I can find it online but can make no promises.
  • Snakeeyes21
    They may be asking for statements to show when you stopped working and recieving a wage. I had to provide them with my claim.
  • Treder
    Then I don't mind giving them my P45 if they want evidence I was made redundant. If legal references can be found to this evidence in 30 days then great. I won't really do battle but I will refuse to provide such information until I have done some more research. Thanks all for continued advice. All is appreciated.
  • NASA

The claim will not be defective in the slightest. The JSA(C) ER's do not include evidence of savings.
  • dookar
    The OP is claiming JSA CONTRIBUTION BASED. His savings have nothing to do with this at all and he is under no obligation whatsoever either legally or morally to provide this detail.
    Originally posted by terryw
    The fact that he has been asked to provide evidence of capital suggests otherwise. It would suggest that a claim to JSA in its entirety has been made - wether that was the OP's intention or not.

OP....I feel that you have been misinformed by a badly-trained or new member of staff. If you have problems here (which I doubt) merely ask for a supervisor or a manger to explain your point and correct this situation.
    Originally posted by terryw
    If the means tested element has been claimed then there's little a manager can do.

I'm thinking reg 5 of the claims and payment regs may help the OP, but I'll need to go have a search
    • healy
    • By healy 12th Jul 09, 7:21 PM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    healy
    We have had this query before.

Terry and ESA are correct.

If you are just claiming contribution based JSA you do not need to provide details of your savings.
  • dmg24
    I am interested in why someone would be so adamant on not showing their bank statements - something to hide? Irrespective of why/ whether they are needed or not, is it such a big deal to show them?
  • NASA
    I am interested in why someone would be so adamant on not showing their bank statements - something to hide? Irrespective of why/ whether they are needed or not, is it such a big deal to show them?
    Originally posted by dmg24
    Point of principle I would imagine, plus, the civil service are not meant to hold onto information which is not relevant to a claim and bank statements are not relevant to a JSA(C) claim.

Even if the OP shows that he has 50k in the bank there is no point in DWP taking the information when the relevant dialogue will not be 'open' for them to enter the information into.
  • dookar
    We have had this query before.

Terry and ESA are correct.

If you are just claiming contribution based JSA you do not need to provide details of your savings.
    Originally posted by healy
    I agree with you (and terry and ESA) but it doesn't sound like only JSA(c) has been claimed.
  • NASA
    I agree with you (and terry and ESA) but it doesn't sound like only JSA(c) has been claimed.
    The OP seems to be under the impression that that is all he has claimed.

It is his right to be able to claim JSA(C) only and he need only comply with the ER's that are relevant to that part of the benefit.
  • Treder
    sorry but just getting to grips with "OP". Understand now. Think it's me.
    I have nothing to hide. It is a point of principle. Why must I provide more information that is absolutely necessary. I will go tomorrow and see what they say and then update you all. Thanks kindly for your advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

2,849Users online

Martin's Twitter