Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
Closed Thread
Views: 5,773
# 1
Treder
Old 12-07-2009, 5:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)

Hi,

Have an interview with Jobcentreplus tomorrow. I know I am entitled to claim Contribution Based JSA (looking for work, was made redunant, not working over 16 hours a week, am over 18). However, they are going to ask me to supply evidence of my bank statements and savings etc. As this type of JSA is not means tested (as opposed to Income Based JSA) does anyone have a site I can use to print off evidence to give to them to show that I am not obliged to provide exact details of my total savings. I'd like to go there prepared with some information as I am definitely going to refuse to tell them how much I've got. All advice very much appreciated.

Last edited by Treder; 12-07-2009 at 6:04 PM.
# 2
costaerer
Old 12-07-2009, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i claimed means tested and i didnt have to show them bank statements.
# 3
NASA
Old 12-07-2009, 6:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treder View Post
Hi,

Have an interview with Jobcentreplus tomorrow. I know I am entitled to claim Contribution Based JSA (looking for work, was made redunant, not working over 16 hours a week, am over 18). However, they are going to ask me to supply evidence of my bank statements and savings etc. As this type of JSA is not means tested (as opposed to Income Based JSA) does anyone have a site I can use to print off evidence to give to them to show that I am not obliged to provide exact details of my total savings. I'd like to go there prepared with some information as I am definitely going to refuse to tell them how much I've got. All advice very much appreciated.

I dont see why they would ask that question if you indicate at the start that you arent interested in claiming the Income Related part. You can have a million pounds in the bank and get JSSA(C).
# 4
hayley11
Old 12-07-2009, 6:21 PM

I would go to the appointment without the bank statements, it looks like whoever told you to take them made a mistake.

Don't not go because of this because it'll just hold your claim up.
Save 2014 in 2014
I my doggies
# 5
Treder
Old 12-07-2009, 6:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I agree. I told them during my hour long! phone call that I am not entitled to Income Based JSA and do not want to claim it yet they still insisted on asking loads of information about not only my savings but also my partner's which really irked me. When i refused to be specific about my savings, the lady on the telephone said "well how much over 16,000 - 1000?" What a joke! I said it made no difference if i had 100K or 17K to her. I am ready for a battle tomorrow when I got to the Jobcentre. I really appreciate your replies. If there is any more advice all will be much appreciated.
# 6
hayley11
Old 12-07-2009, 6:33 PM

I wouldn't go in with that attitude - "ready for battle" - it seems the lady you spoke to had a bit of an attitude and didn't know what she was talking about but the person you see tomorrow may be perfectly nice and reasonable.
Save 2014 in 2014
I my doggies
The Following User Says Thank You to hayley11 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
dookar
Old 12-07-2009, 6:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Hi,

In order for your claim to be valid, you must present all requested evidence requirements within 30 days of the date on which you notified your intention to claim.

You have been requested to provide your bank statements, should you not then the claim will be defective.
The Following User Says Thank You to dookar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Treder
Old 12-07-2009, 6:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookar View Post
In order for your claim to be valid, you must present all requested evidence requirements within 30 days of the date on which you notified your intention to claim.

You have been requested to provide your bank statements, should you not then the claim will be defective.
Hi,

Where did you get this information from? The only reason I can see for providing such information is if they prioritise Income Based JSA over Contribution Based JSA. I have found nothing to suggest that you can only claim Contribution Based JSA if you are not eligible for Income Based JSA. Is the information you provide formally written down in some Act or Agreement? Thanks for advice which is really appreciated.
# 9
terryw
Old 12-07-2009, 6:42 PM

Quote:

The OP is claiming JSA CONTRIBUTION BASED. His savings have nothing to do with this at all and he is under no obligation whatsoever either legally or morally to provide this detail.

OP....I feel that you have been misinformed by a badly-trained or new member of staff. If you have problems here (which I doubt) merely ask for a supervisor or a manger to explain your point and correct this situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to terryw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
dookar
Old 12-07-2009, 6:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Hi,

Where did you get this information from? The only reason I can see for providing such information is if they prioritise Income Based JSA over Contribution Based JSA. I have found nothing to suggest that you can only claim Contribution Based JSA if you are not eligible for Income Based JSA. Is the information you provide formally written down in some Act or Agreement? Thanks for advice which is really appreciated.
It is, I'll see if I can find it online but can make no promises.
# 11
Snakeeyes21
Old 12-07-2009, 6:47 PM
PPR

They may be asking for statements to show when you stopped working and recieving a wage. I had to provide them with my claim.
# 12
Treder
Old 12-07-2009, 6:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Then I don't mind giving them my P45 if they want evidence I was made redundant. If legal references can be found to this evidence in 30 days then great. I won't really do battle but I will refuse to provide such information until I have done some more research. Thanks all for continued advice. All is appreciated.
# 13
NASA
Old 12-07-2009, 7:04 PM

Quote:

The claim will not be defective in the slightest. The JSA(C) ER's do not include evidence of savings.
The Following User Says Thank You to NASA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
dookar
Old 12-07-2009, 7:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryw View Post
The OP is claiming JSA CONTRIBUTION BASED. His savings have nothing to do with this at all and he is under no obligation whatsoever either legally or morally to provide this detail.
The fact that he has been asked to provide evidence of capital suggests otherwise. It would suggest that a claim to JSA in its entirety has been made - wether that was the OP's intention or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryw View Post
OP....I feel that you have been misinformed by a badly-trained or new member of staff. If you have problems here (which I doubt) merely ask for a supervisor or a manger to explain your point and correct this situation.
If the means tested element has been claimed then there's little a manager can do.

I'm thinking reg 5 of the claims and payment regs may help the OP, but I'll need to go have a search
# 15
healy
Old 12-07-2009, 7:21 PM

We have had this query before.

Terry and ESA are correct.

If you are just claiming contribution based JSA you do not need to provide details of your savings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
dmg24
Old 12-07-2009, 7:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I am interested in why someone would be so adamant on not showing their bank statements - something to hide? Irrespective of why/ whether they are needed or not, is it such a big deal to show them?
The Following User Says Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
NASA
Old 12-07-2009, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg24 View Post
I am interested in why someone would be so adamant on not showing their bank statements - something to hide? Irrespective of why/ whether they are needed or not, is it such a big deal to show them?
Point of principle I would imagine, plus, the civil service are not meant to hold onto information which is not relevant to a claim and bank statements are not relevant to a JSA(C) claim.

Even if the OP shows that he has 50k in the bank there is no point in DWP taking the information when the relevant dialogue will not be 'open' for them to enter the information into.
The Following User Says Thank You to NASA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
dookar
Old 12-07-2009, 7:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by healy View Post
We have had this query before.

Terry and ESA are correct.

If you are just claiming contribution based JSA you do not need to provide details of your savings.
I agree with you (and terry and ESA) but it doesn't sound like only JSA(c) has been claimed.
# 19
NASA
Old 12-07-2009, 7:39 PM

Quote:
I agree with you (and terry and ESA) but it doesn't sound like only JSA(c) has been claimed.
The OP seems to be under the impression that that is all he has claimed.

It is his right to be able to claim JSA(C) only and he need only comply with the ER's that are relevant to that part of the benefit.
# 20
Treder
Old 12-07-2009, 7:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

sorry but just getting to grips with "OP". Understand now. Think it's me.
I have nothing to hide. It is a point of principle. Why must I provide more information that is absolutely necessary. I will go tomorrow and see what they say and then update you all. Thanks kindly for your advice.
Closed Thread