IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
sweaty head/yucky pillows!
Views: 6,873
# 1
loocyloo
Old 11-07-2009, 8:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default sweaty head/yucky pillows!

HELP! my DH has a sweaty head, and within a few days his pillow cases look horrible - all greasy & stained.

i've tried soaking them in a variety of things, but they seem to need a few days to soak each time! and short of changing & washing his pillowcase every 2 days, i can't see a way round it!

we have just bought new bedding ( not very OS i know, but our old sets had finally given up after many years faithful service, and we had re-decorated ) and after only a few weeks, all DH pillow cases look yucky! ( i snip the labels out of 'mine' so he doesn't ruin all of them! )

any ideas of a good soak/spray/washing solution?

DH washes his hair every morning, and wouldn't do it at night!

he is getting very fed up about me moaning about his yucky pillows, but can't comeup with a solution!

thank you!

loocyloo xxx
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loocyloo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
ivyleaf
Old 11-07-2009, 9:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Exact same problem here! :rolleyes: I use a good dose of biological washing powder and some Vanish powder - seems to do the trick. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivyleaf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
redruby
Old 11-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Why not have another old pillow and case, that you swap over at bed time so it wont matter if it gets ruined, save the good set for show, just put it back on when you make the bed in the morning ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redruby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
SunnyGirl
Old 11-07-2009, 10:14 AM

My DH's side of the bed is similar I wash the bedding at 60 degrees with biological washing powder and a tablespoon of soda crystals. HTH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SunnyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Hardup Hester
Old 11-07-2009, 10:23 AM

Same here, I use a pillow protector as well.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hardup Hester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ivyleaf
Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I hadn't thought of a pillow protector! Thanks, Hester!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivyleaf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
cyclingyorkie
Old 11-07-2009, 10:40 AM

you are not alone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyclingyorkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
miss_cupcake
Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm always getting on at my boyfriend about this! He doesn't understand why it annoys me, but it really does. We have a love white/black duvet set and I can't stand it when his side of the bed ends up looking dirty only 2 or 3 days after being washed (even though he's not a dirty person at all)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miss_cupcake For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
floyd
Old 11-07-2009, 11:12 AM

Same problem and can't find a solution.
Can I ask what sort of jobs your OH's have? Mine works using hydraulic oil which seems to become ingrained into his pores and won't scrub out so even if he showers before bed and uses a face scrub its still there.
I now just buy dark bed linen as I had 3 sets of beautiful pure white cotton bed linen ruined because no amount of bio hot washes, Vanish, soda, bleach or sunshine would shift the yellowy marks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to floyd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
missm29
Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

my other half is a builder and even after showering before bed the sheets are still dirty in the morning, theres usually a yellow mark where his body and head has been, i've checked to make sure he has a good scrub in the shower, hes a little over weight and sometimes sweats at night. I change the sheets and pillowcases usually daily and the quilt cover 2/3 times a week. We have white sheets and a cream quilt cover, i wonder if i bought darker sheets i wouldn't see it, but then i know its there can't stand the thought of sleeping in a dirty bed. I hate it when we go on holiday and they only change the sheets 2 times a week, yuck. If i catch him on my side of the bed after i've got up he gets shouted at, he thinks i'm weird, glad i'm not the only one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missm29 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
loocyloo
Old 11-07-2009, 11:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

so pleased i am not alone!

we had pale bedding, now have 'mocha' coloured - still very noticeable, if anything, think its worse! and use pillow protectors.

i have thought about making him use an old pillow at night, but he wouldn't 'get it' and would just moan!

i too hate it when i find him on my side of the bed !!!

i do wash on a 60, with bio powder (plus whatever else i happen to be using ) but was hoping there was some old style remedy!

x
ps dh works in an office all day!

Last edited by loocyloo; 11-07-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: forgot a bit!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loocyloo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
maryb
Old 11-07-2009, 11:52 AM

DH sleeps in a white teeshirt and as it fits quite close round the base of the neck it offers some protection to the pillow and the bottom sheet. Certainly the teeshirt is damp in the mornings but the pillow seems OK. A pack of three teeshirts is so cheap in Primark I just replace them when they get too horrible but otherwise he just gets a fresh one each night and a hot wash keeps the grot at bay.

I also use under pillowcases made from really thick white ticking which is thick enough to protect the pillow itself. They sell them in John Lewis for remaking pillows. As they are pure cotton they don't make the sweating worse which a pillow protector sometimes does
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maryb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Emptynester
Old 11-07-2009, 12:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Another clean man, daily shower and hair wash, uses a computer keyboard so not getting dirty at work but still stained pillow cases, what is it about men? Seriously is it just men affected?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emptynester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Kadeeae
Old 11-07-2009, 3:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think we've stumbled across something here!

I don't have any problem getting the cases clean, but hate the fact that they get this yellow/grey/brown circular tinge to them 2 days after I've put fresh ones on!!

Someone needs to do a study, lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kadeeae For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
oystercatcher
Old 11-07-2009, 3:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

1st husband and second husband both caused same problem. Have also noticed teenage sons developing greasy pillows too !! It must be a male thing! Husband also dribbles profusely when asleep !! No 'dirty jobs' for any of them either.

Only solution I have found is regular changes of linen and also washing pillow protectors whenever I change the bed! I have a second set of pillow protectors for our bed. Not terribly MS but makes life easier and makes the pillows last longer.

Maybe now they are developing synthetic sperm we can just abandon our greasy, grubby menfolk and live clean solitary lives !!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oystercatcher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
geri1965
Old 11-07-2009, 3:55 PM

Make them wear shower caps in bed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geri1965 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
oystercatcher
Old 11-07-2009, 4:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geri1965 View Post
Make them wear shower caps in bed.
I think someone should invent a giant 'whole body condom' that just leaves a little breathing hole at the nose. Then they could strip it off in the shower and all hair, grease and general yuck could be flushed down the drain !!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oystercatcher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Kadeeae
Old 11-07-2009, 6:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

@ Oyster & Geri

# 19
OddjobKIA
Old 11-07-2009, 6:37 PM

yep its us men we sweat at the head.....

as for pillows using a pillow protector helps as this is also washed at the same time and the pillow stays clean...
THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OddjobKIA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Greenqueen
Old 11-07-2009, 8:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just a thought. Does this happen with bald men?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greenqueen For This Useful Post: Show me >>