IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Wedding cake
Closed Thread
Views: 21,796
# 1
maz168
Old 09-04-2006, 4:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Wedding cake

Hi,

Does anyone know where/what is the cheapest way to get a nice wedding cake? I am getting married in less than 2 weeks and the main thing that is left is the wedding cake!!

I would really like a nice one but we are on a very tight budget. I have time to decorate it if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maz
# 2
RVK2
Old 09-04-2006, 4:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Tesco do a range of plain white-iced cakes and apparently M&S do something suitable too.
# 3
busby1
Old 09-04-2006, 4:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

So do asda, a plain white iced cake in 3 sizes they also do the tires, so you can stack it high very little decorating needed as it looks like a wedding cake, they also do the bride and groom to sit on top

Congrats, hope you have a good day
The Following User Says Thank You to busby1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
callansdad
Old 09-04-2006, 4:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I actually have a similar query to this. I was under the impression that the cakes at the stores above was fruit. We would much rather prefer sponge or chocolate. Any suggestions?
A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
# 5
Broken hearted
Old 09-04-2006, 4:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

A lot of people on confetti and hitched recomend Marks and Spencer
# 6
busby1
Old 09-04-2006, 4:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The cakes that are designed to be wedding cakes are fruit, but asda also do a large white iced sponge cake, its the one you can get photos printed on I dont think it comes in different sizes, but that would only matter if you was planing on a tiered cake

Again Congrats

Last edited by busby1; 09-04-2006 at 5:03 PM.
# 7
busby1
Old 09-04-2006, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken hearted
A lot of people on confetti and hitched recomend Marks and Spencer
Marks & Sparks do a range too, but cost a lot more and i have not tasted them, I have tasted asda's and they are good
# 8
emma_b
Old 09-04-2006, 6:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

you could get a fruit and a sponge one, im getting two sponge cakes and a fruit cake from asda or m and s for our wedding and then putting ribbon around it and buying the bride and grrom decoration from a cake stall on the market

have lovely wedding day!
# 9
VickyA
Old 09-04-2006, 6:28 PM

My mum went to a wedding where they had a Marks & Sparks cake. She was most impressed. They sell the different sizes of tiers, all covered in white icing, ready for decorating/placing flowers on each tier.

Mum is making my cake, and don't I know it If people aren't tipsy by the end of the meal, then they will be as soon as they sniff the cake!
Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - saver #153 87 banked
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Nov 2013 - OUT 65 IN 25
365 in 365 days challenge 2014 #2 - 304/365 2 Savers #21 - 140 banked
Virtual Savings #151 - 162.29
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VickyA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Counting_Pennies
Old 09-04-2006, 6:54 PM

http://www.waitrosedeliver.com/wdeli...sp?siteCode=BI

Click on celebration cakes when you get into the link

Have a look at waitrose celebration cakes, they do some wonderful ones. If you go to the cake counter, they often order cakes in for the next week for the counter display. If you chat the lady up who orders them she should be able to tell you which ones she can request for her counter and will write your name on it and put it by instead.

I have done this several times, it is great.

Personally I love the red roses cake, that looks gorgeous.

Alternatively you could contact a wedding cake maker and ask them if they could fit you in a late notice. It isn't the height of wedding season so you could get one.

Where do you live, I had a great cake maker and probably could fit you in if you are stuck.

Last edited by Counting_Pennies; 09-04-2006 at 7:12 PM.
# 11
Counting_Pennies
Old 09-04-2006, 6:56 PM

http://www.charactercreations.co.uk/16253.html

I forgot to say, this company also make some lovely cake toppers of brides and grooms, and if you let them know your notice they should get it out for you in time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Counting_Pennies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Emms
Old 09-04-2006, 7:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The plain white iced sponge cakes in asda that you can get the pics put on do come in two sizes. I had thought about using them for our wedding as i think the total price is around 20 for both. You could stack them and get a nice wee cake topper and maybe some flowers to match yours and decorate the cake yourself. The Marks and Spencers ones do look lovely but there a bit more pricey. Here the link to them

http://www2.marksandspencer.com/food...es/index.shtml

Click on the all butter sponge link just above the pics to see the prices for them.

Emma
# 13
jockettuk
Old 09-04-2006, 8:15 PM

tescos do a nice white cake ..
Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear
Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
Are thinking of you today.
# 14
maz168
Old 09-04-2006, 9:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,

I live in Manchester. Getting married on 21st April!!!

I was thinking of a 3 tier cake - one tier maybe being a cream, one being choc and another being fruit. (To please everyone!!)

Im thinking of looking into the M&S cake, waitrose etc and seeing what is available. Im not sure where any god cake decorating places are though.

If you know of any good cake maker's in the area or any other advice, would appreciate it very much.

Location around North West would be convenient.

Thanks,

Maz
# 15
clairey em
Old 09-04-2006, 9:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello,

good luck for the big day, you must be so excited, it's so close!!

We got married last year and we very nearly had an m & s cake (3 tiers) they are about 100 for 3 different sizes and the pillars inbetween. They come already white iced with a bit of piping so you wouldn't need to get it decorated. they also sell, in the same section, things like gold and silver balls, so you could decorate it a little yourself. A friend of my mum's made ours in the end so we didn't need the marks one, but we got our florist just to save a couple of flowers to literally bung on top of each tier for a bit of individuality. it's minimal hassle, which is prob what you are looking for at this stage!

have a brilliant day, it'll be the best day of your life, know ours was mine!

x x
xx claire xx
Full time working mum to:
DS1 27/11/07, DS2 18/03/11, Ddog 16/04/08
DH Stay at home dad
DF since Oct 14
# 16
squibbs25
Old 10-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi, we got married in May 2003 and our cakes came from M&S, i did consider buying from Tesco's but in comparrison i found it rather dry. The M&S cake, although dearer is a far superior. We hired a cake stand from a professional cake maker and suppliers (cost 5.00 hire and 10 returnable deposit) also purchased our decorations from same shop. (i had a lily spray on the bottom and a smaller version on the top, as Lilies were my themed flower), My step-dad put a little ribbon round the outside of the cake. We were very impressed with the overall product, looked very professional!
# 17
Rachie B
Old 10-04-2006, 9:39 AM

also try local cakemakers (ie not big companies lol)

we had a local lady make our cake 3 tiers all different flavours ,with sugar calla lilies and celtic knots on (our theme) all for 70 it was fabulous and there was no way i was going to pay the 300 i had been quoted for very similar !!!

it gets eaten at the end of the day lol so why pay more than you have to

the choccywoccydoodah cakes are fab http://www.choccywoccydoodah.com/index.htm but OMG i soooooooooooo wouldnt pay those prices

unless id won the lottery

celebs have used them as well as "normal" people lol ,a friend of mine being one of them ,mad mad woman she is lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Rachie B For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Belair
Old 10-04-2006, 9:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We got married nearly 5 months ago and bought a 3 tier fruit cake from M&S.
Without exception, every one loved the cake and couldn't believe that it was store bought. I hired a cake stand from a local cake shop and a friend made the sugar craft decorations.
A simple way to decorate a wedding cake is to ask the florist to make something up that matches your bouquet. Very effective and pretty.

Big tip!
Don't bother with favours, I nearly went mental trying to sort something out that was cheap and looked good. In the end I scattered Quality Street sweets on the tables, they looked lovely and were eaten immediately. I accidently left an opened full tin near the bar and they were gone in minutes.

Congratulations and enjoy your day.
# 19
wedded-bliss
Old 22-09-2010, 1:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up I used an Asda cake, and it was perfect!

Even though we had a very expensive wedding and I didn't mind spending money on a lot of the other parts of the wedding, because we had a chocolate fountain, we didn't want to spend a lot on the cake. So I bought a 3 tier, (small, medium and large), white iced fruit cake from Asda at a total cost of 25 and it was absoultely perfect for us.
It is the accessories that make the difference to the cake! The cake topper I got was 60 and ribbons were about 5, but still worked out a lot cheaper than ordering a wedding cake from a bakery!
And even though the cake was cheap, it was delicious and all my relatives asnd friends commented on how good it looked and tasted!!!
# 20
Tish P
Old 22-09-2010, 1:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you have a good friend who bakes, maybe ask if they would be happy to make a cake for you instead of a wedding present? It probably won't be as perfectly iced as a commercial one, but it'll taste better and mean more.

Cake decorating shops sell things called "flower picks" which you push into a cake, and they hold enough water to keep a flower fresh for a few hours - that makes for simple but pretty decoration.
Closed Thread