Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 21st Jun 03, 6:44 PM
    • 8,107Posts
    • 42,239Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Water Bills questions and comment
    • 21st Jun 03, 6:44 PM
    Water Bills questions and comment 21st Jun 03 at 6:44 PM
    Please place your water bill questions and comments here

Addition by Fran - link to Martin's article HERE

Last edited by Fran; 12-02-2005 at 1:08 AM. Reason: add link to water article on main site
Page 37
    • irisheyes153
    • By irisheyes153 16th Mar 17, 2:22 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    irisheyes153
    re large debt
    hello sweetheart,
    so sorry no one has contacted you about your debt, you must be frantic, firstly phone back and berate them (thinking of a word that doesn't rhyme with ballcock here) for not helping!

go to the thames water page and type in Customer Assistance Fund, its a short form and they can look in to removing/reducing the debt.

good luck

Callie
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 26,575 Posts
    • 12,803 Thanks
    Cardew
    Yes, they do,

Originally posted by irisheyes153
    It would be helpful if you indicated to which post you were referring.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 26,575 Posts
    • 12,803 Thanks
    Cardew
    hello sweetheart,
    so sorry no one has contacted you about your debt,
    Originally posted by irisheyes153
    To which post are you directing your comments?

I appreciate you are a new poster but you should quote the post that is the subject of your reply. As far as I can see nobody called 'sweetheart' has posted in the last year.
    • Emma1998
    • By Emma1998 28th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma1998
    I used to pay £24 a month but since moving into a new and smaller property I pay £28 a month. I think this is due to having a constant leak in the taps. I have tried explaining this to my water provider but they will not do anything ? What can I do?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 28th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 26,575 Posts
    • 12,803 Thanks
    Cardew
    I used to pay £24 a month but since moving into a new and smaller property I pay £28 a month. I think this is due to having a constant leak in the taps. I have tried explaining this to my water provider but they will not do anything ? What can I do?
    Originally posted by Emma1998
    Welcome to the forum.

If renting, get landlord to fix taps.

If you own, get a plumber.
    • jadex
    • By jadex 29th Mar 17, 1:41 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    jadex
    My water supply is metered.
    For the past 10 years my usage has never been higher than 35 m3 per 6 months.
    Last week engineer from Thames Water visited my property and today received a new bill - £1900 to pay !!!!!! Apparently I have used 886 m3 since the end of October. How so?
    I check my meter regularly and checked it last October and was planning to do so on 1st April (as water rates are going to change).
    So, my first point was to check the meter. As it stands, my old meter's gone and TW installed a new one without telling me about it!!! So current reading is meaningless.
    Surely, they should have informed me while they were on site? They asked me to move my car to have access to meter, then to run cold water in the kitchen, then said it's fine and OK but somehow failed to tell me that they changed my meter... Had I known about it, I would have taken a picture of "last reading".
    Now they claim that meter readings has increased by 886 m3 since October and I have no possibility to verify it.
    Last edited by jadex; 29-03-2017 at 2:31 AM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 29th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 26,575 Posts
    • 12,803 Thanks
    Cardew
    My water supply is metered.
    For the past 10 years my usage has never been higher than 35 m3 per 6 months.
    Last week engineer from Thames Water visited my property and today received a new bill - £1900 to pay !!!!!! Apparently I have used 886 m3 since the end of October. How so?
    I check my meter regularly and checked it last October and was planning to do so on 1st April (as water rates are going to change).
    So, my first point was to check the meter. As it stands, my old meter's gone and TW installed a new one without telling me about it!!! So current reading is meaningless.
    Surely, they should have informed me while they were on site? They asked me to move my car to have access to meter, then to run cold water in the kitchen, then said it's fine and OK but somehow failed to tell me that they changed my meter... Had I known about it, I would have taken a picture of "last reading".
    Now they claim that meter readings has increased by 886 m3 since October and I have no possibility to verify it.
    Originally posted by jadex
    Contact the Consumer Council for Water
    https://www.ccwater.org.uk/
    • Felixmum
    • By Felixmum 27th May 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Felixmum
    Does anybody know if I can claim 7 years overpayment of water rates of the money coming out of my benefits. Been charged WAY over the odds as a single Tennant and it's only just been adjusted to single occupancy. At least 7 years wrong rate. Many thanks
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 27th May 17, 5:06 PM
    • 26,575 Posts
    • 12,803 Thanks
    Cardew
    Does anybody know if I can claim 7 years overpayment of water rates of the money coming out of my benefits. Been charged WAY over the odds as a single Tennant and it's only just been adjusted to single occupancy. At least 7 years wrong rate. Many thanks
    Originally posted by Felixmum
    There are 3 ways of paying water charges.

1. If no meter, you pay based on the Rateable Value(RV) and it doesn't matter if 1 person or 10 people live in the property - the charges are the same.

2. If you have a meter you pay on the amount of water used, and again, as above, it doesn't matter if 1 or 10 people live in the property.

3. If you apply for a meter and one cannot be fitted, you will be given the option of an Assessed charge. This is supposed to be the average charge for that type of property - some use the number of bedrooms and some the number of occupants. Most water companies also have a lower charge for a single occupant.

The important factor is you must formally apply for a meter and it is the water company's decision if an assessed charge will be offered. They will often backdate the assessed charge to the date you applied for a meter. You must also tell them that you are a single occupant.

What is the position on your water supply - with dates.
    • chesters11
    • By chesters11 30th May 17, 2:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chesters11
    pointless try to save on water bills
    We had a water meter fitted on moving in and it didnt achieve much savings but now thames water sent us a letter our bills would be rising because they want more money to build a sewer 30 miles away !
    We have them out once a month to jet our sewer as its broken and cannot be bothered to fix that yet were expected to pay extra for a sewer we will never use! Its time these monopolies were reigned in and put on the open market where we can choose who to give our money too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

402Posts Today

4,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin