Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 21st Jun 03, 6:44 PM
    • 8,104Posts
    • 42,233Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Water Bills questions and comment
    • 21st Jun 03, 6:44 PM
    Water Bills questions and comment 21st Jun 03 at 6:44 PM
    Please place your water bill questions and comments here

Addition by Fran - link to Martin's article HERE

Last edited by Fran; 12-02-2005 at 1:08 AM. Reason: add link to water article on main site
Page 36
    • Sabina94
    • By Sabina94 13th Aug 16, 12:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sabina94
    I am sorry to interrupt You , but where are You from ?
    • zulfia
    • By zulfia 17th Sep 16, 2:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zulfia
    the same as doreen
    I am in exactly the same situation as Doreen, only my water supplier is Northumbrian water. From 2013 to 2016 my water bill increased by one third. A the same time I stopped watering the garden, I stopped taking showers and baths (I do this in the gym now), my husband moved out long time ago and I lived on my own. I should have reduced water usage at least by half, instead every bill shows increase and the bill increased by 1/3 in the last 2 years. I wrote to the company. I wonder how they take water meter readings. Does anybody anybody come and take the reading?
    • zulfia
    • By zulfia 17th Sep 16, 2:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zulfia
    why my water usage increases in the bill although it should go down
    I can see that many people experience a sharp and unjustified rise in the water bill. Does anybody actually take the water meter reading? Do they come to the property for that? How does the meter work? Can it be wrong and why? Is there a diagram of water usage? I wonder if anybody knows the answers.

My water bill from Northumbrian water increased by 1/3 in the last two years. At the same time I stopped washing at home and have been doing in the gym for at least a year, I do not water the garden but I did it previously (two years ago), my husband moved out 1,5 years ago and he was staying at home only occasionally for a year before that. I use the washing machine only once or twice a week, less than before. Why does my water usage go up significantly in every bill?
    • squinz
    • By squinz 8th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    squinz
    Am I paying too much?
    My husband and I rented our last property. Two showers a day, careful with our water. Our monthly bills were £20.80 for 2 bed terrace. It didn't have a water meter.

We moved in March to a 3 bed bungalow. It has a water meter and prices were hiked to £35.25. Its still just us and no changes to water usage. I did question it with the first bill and think I was fobbed off with it being due to the size of the property/historic ratable values? However reading on here, that shouldn't come into it with a water meter in place?

Can I challenge it again? I submitted a reading the other day and it has reduced slightly to £33.12 but its still considerably more than we used to pay...I will follow the advice about checking the meter with 2 people in case of leak etc.

Can anyone advise? TIA
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 8th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    • 26,058 Posts
    • 12,527 Thanks
    Cardew
    My husband and I rented our last property. Two showers a day, careful with our water. Our monthly bills were £20.80 for 2 bed terrace. It didn't have a water meter.

We moved in March to a 3 bed bungalow. It has a water meter and prices were hiked to £35.25. Its still just us and no changes to water usage. I did question it with the first bill and think I was fobbed off with it being due to the size of the property/historic ratable values? However reading on here, that shouldn't come into it with a water meter in place?

Can I challenge it again? I submitted a reading the other day and it has reduced slightly to £33.12 but its still considerably more than we used to pay...I will follow the advice about checking the meter with 2 people in case of leak etc.

Can anyone advise? TIA
    Originally posted by squinz
    On your last unmetered property the amount of water you used simply didn't matter. Your charges were based on the Rateable Value(RV) which would have been assessed between 1973 and 1990.

With your current property its size doesn't matter and your bill will be based on your water consumption and standing charges.

You might also check to see if you are being charged for Surface Water Drainage - which you might be able to get refunded.

You don't say your water company, but generally £20 a month for RV based charges is below average, and £33 a month for metered is not high.
    • squinz
    • By squinz 9th Oct 16, 8:12 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    squinz
    Thank you for your reply, Cardew.

Ive just checked my bill and it appears there is a surface water charge. Im with united utilities if that helps. Why might that be refundable?

Thanks again.
    • reeac
    • By reeac 9th Oct 16, 9:44 AM
    • 952 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    reeac
    If the water coming off your roof is piped away to soak aways rather than down the drains that take foul water then you can get that element removed from your water bill. I did this by sending the water company a copy of our bungalow plans which showed the drainage system. I believe that you can achieve the same end by other means but I happened to have the plans as I had the place built for our occupation.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 9th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 26,058 Posts
    • 12,527 Thanks
    Cardew
    Thank you for your reply, Cardew.

Ive just checked my bill and it appears there is a surface water charge. Im with united utilities if that helps. Why might that be refundable?

Thanks again.
    Originally posted by squinz
    Your Charges are here:

http://www.unitedutilities.com/our-charges-2015-2016.aspx

You pay £126 pa in fixed charges, and as you pay approx. £400 a year in total, you are paying for approx. 92 cubic metres a year; which is below average for a couple.

The UU section on Surface water Drainage is here:

http://www.unitedutilities.com/surface-water-drainage.aspx

If you can reclaim SWD charges it is a £54pa rebate.

Ask neighbours if they pay the SWD charge? If you have a sewer/drains cover it is fairly easy to check, spray some water on a gutter(or wait until it rains) and check nothing enters the drains/sewer.
    • phsci
    • By phsci 10th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    phsci
    Is there a diagram of water usage?
    Originally posted by zulfia
    Look at this report from the Energy Saving Trust (At Home With Water 2):
    http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/sites/default/files/reports/AHHW2%20final.pdf and go to page 14 for a diagram. Good evidence-based summary of typical domestic consumption patterns.
    • Dunenergy
    • By Dunenergy 19th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dunenergy
    Hi,

I recently moved into a flat which is about 2 years old but has never been lived in. I sent Thames Water an email with a picture of my meter reading. They replied saying that my bill was set at £18 a month. Today I received a bill saying my direct debit would be £8 per month. I'm the only occupant and am generally not at home between 8.30 - 6pm on weekdays. I was wondering if this is a normal bill or does it seem low (not that I'm complaining)
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 20th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 26,058 Posts
    • 12,527 Thanks
    Cardew
    Hi,

I recently moved into a flat which is about 2 years old but has never been lived in. I sent Thames Water an email with a picture of my meter reading. They replied saying that my bill was set at £18 a month. Today I received a bill saying my direct debit would be £8 per month. I'm the only occupant and am generally not at home between 8.30 - 6pm on weekdays. I was wondering if this is a normal bill or does it seem low (not that I'm complaining)
    Originally posted by Dunenergy
    Thames water charges are here:

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/tw/common/downloads/literature-water-waste-water-charges/Charges_schedule_2016-17.pdf

It is not possible to work out accurately your water sewerage charge per cubic metre(m3) as it varies by area.

However the minimum standing charge is £60.16 a year and you can work out the average cost per M3 from the link above - the average is 55m3 pa for a single occupant.

Could it be that the developer paid your standing charges for 2016/17 and your account was in credit?
    • R24cloud
    • By R24cloud 18th Nov 16, 6:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    R24cloud
    Water bill credit
    I pay £40/month by DD to Anglian Water. I have to wait until April for this to be reduced (see below) but we don't use anything like this.
    But the problem is, is that they hold £295 credit on my account. Do I have any right to ask for some or all of this back as its a fair chunk of cash they are sitting on?
    Any comments gratefully received!
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 18th Nov 16, 7:34 PM
    • 26,058 Posts
    • 12,527 Thanks
    Cardew
    I pay £40/month by DD to Anglian Water. I have to wait until April for this to be reduced (see below) but we don't use anything like this.
    But the problem is, is that they hold £295 credit on my account. Do I have any right to ask for some or all of this back as its a fair chunk of cash they are sitting on?
    Any comments gratefully received!
    Originally posted by R24cloud
    Welcome to the forum.

I assume you are metered?

When did you have your last bill based on meter reading?

I pay just over £40 a month and had my last bill in June. If I look at my account now I will be well over £200 in credit - but next month I will have a 6 monthly bill that will use up all my credit and might give me a small debit balance.

Similarly your £295 credit might be the same. If you are certain - from meter readings - that you are paying too much then contact them and they should either reduce your DD or refund some of the credit.

You also have the option not to pay by DD but 6 monthly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

1,155Users online

Martin's Twitter