Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    plinky1
    CSA Gross Income CM Scheme questions.
    • 6th Jul 09, 7:07 PM
    CSA Gross Income CM Scheme questions. 6th Jul 09 at 7:07 PM
    The new scheme is going to be coming in 2011.
    Have read loads of views, articles and even the white paper, but still do not understand how a certain calculation will be made.

Can anyone help?

2 qualifying children 16%
    &
    2 relevent children this is where I get confused...
    There is no mention of what percentage they use for the relevent children.

They mention basic rate, but dont give the basice rate details???

They way I read the white paper was
    2 relevent children 16%
    one would cancel out the other and be nil assessed...err doubt that!!

Would it be flat rate of £7 then and the variations for qualifying childrens stays.

Please help.
Page 1
  • CMAC
    • 6th Jul 09, 7:19 PM
    • 6th Jul 09, 7:19 PM
    Have read loads of views, articles and even the white paper, but still do not understand how a certain calculation will be made.

Can anyone help?

&

2 relevent children 16%

Would it be flat rate of £7 then and the variations for qualifying childrens stays.

Please help.
    Originally posted by plinky1

(1) Subject to sub-paragraph (2), the basic rate is the following percentage of the non-resident parent’s gross weekly income—
    • 12% where the non-resident parent has one qualifying child;
    • 16% where the non-resident parent has two qualifying children;
    • 19% where the non-resident parent has three or more qualifying children.
    (2) If the gross weekly income of the non-resident parent exceeds £800, the basic rate is the aggregate of the amount found by applying sub-paragraph (1) in relation to the first £800 of that income and the following percentage of the remainder—
    • 9% where the non-resident parent has one qualifying child;
    • 12% where the non-resident parent has two qualifying children;
    • 15% where the non-resident parent has three or more qualifying children.
    (3) If the non-resident parent also has one or more relevant other children, gross weekly income shall be treated for the purposes of sub-paragraphs (1) and (2) as reduced by the following percentage—
    • 12% where the non-resident parent has one relevant other child;
    • 16% where the non-resident parent has two relevant other children;
    • 19% where the non-resident parent has three or more relevant other children.”
    • marksoton
    • By marksoton 6th Jul 09, 7:21 PM
    • 16,315 Posts
    • 36,131 Thanks
    marksoton
    • 6th Jul 09, 7:21 PM
    • 6th Jul 09, 7:21 PM

Can anyone help?

&

2 relevent children 16%

Please help.
    Originally posted by plinky1
    The two relevant children would reduce the assessable income for the qualifying children down to 84%.

So the NRP would pay 16% of 84% of what he earns !
  • plinky1
    • 6th Jul 09, 7:25 PM
    • 6th Jul 09, 7:25 PM
    Ahhh so when it said 16% it was wrong?

Thank you for your reply..I have been looking and looking, thing is though how can they disregard the PWC benefits, but not disregard the NRPs living costs i.e. rent & council tax?

As PWC who is on benefits and do not own their own homes get free rent and council tax also!!

So the two other relevent children are only able to live on 4% is this what they are saying??
  • i_hate_the_csa
    • 8th Jul 09, 1:46 PM
    • 8th Jul 09, 1:46 PM
    I'm still waiting to be put onto the "new" system.Still have the letter from 2003 saying we'd all be moved to it in time.

Will this "gross" system be working in 2011 for us paying now? No chance!
  • plinky1
    • 8th Jul 09, 2:01 PM
    • 8th Jul 09, 2:01 PM
    I'm still waiting to be put onto the "new" system.Still have the letter from 2003 saying we'd all be moved to it in time.

Will this "gross" system be working in 2011 for us paying now? No chance!
    Originally posted by i_hate_the_csa
    You bet your boots they will!!!

They are assesing on your GROSS income in 2011, that means no Nat or tax taken into consideration never mind your housing costs and council tax that they dont consider anyway.

They are major Nosebleeds!!!
  • joanneg
    • 14th Jul 09, 11:59 PM
    • 14th Jul 09, 11:59 PM
    God Lord!!!!

Have I got this right then .....

Gross :576 per week

minus 16% for our 2 kids = 483.84

12% of that is 58.06 per week! Yet our children are only allowed 46.08 and they are babies.

Currently pay 22 ish a week under scheme 1.

Absolutely ridiculous .. hopefully SD (who is 16 in sept) won't still be a QC then.

God helps us all.
  • Blue_Horizon
    • 15th Jul 09, 6:48 AM
    • 15th Jul 09, 6:48 AM
    Are pensions treated in the same way? Taken off the gross income?
    • Donedoingdebt
    • By Donedoingdebt 15th Jul 09, 10:44 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    Donedoingdebt
    • 15th Jul 09, 10:44 AM
    • 15th Jul 09, 10:44 AM
    Are pensions treated in the same way? Taken off the gross income?
    Originally posted by Blue_Horizon
    I don't believe any pension payments will be given as an allowance & the total gross income will be included for assessment.

One of the reasons given for going to CS3/CMEC was that a small number of NRPs were loading up their pension payments so there was very little net pay left to make a reasonable assessment.
    Donedoingdebt Lightbulb moment January 2000. Debt at highest approx £102,000. Debt now (October 2009 - absolutely fork all!!!)
    CSA case closed on 02/09/10
    • marksoton
    • By marksoton 15th Jul 09, 10:57 AM
    • 16,315 Posts
    • 36,131 Thanks
    marksoton
    I don't believe any pension payments will be given as an allowance & the total gross income will be included for assessment.

One of the reasons given for going to CS3/CMEC was that a small number of NRPs were loading up their pension payments so there was very little net pay left to make a reasonable assessment.
    Originally posted by Donedoingdebt
    Which is BS because the PWC could easily have gone for diversion of income.

The irony is i only keep my pension for the life assurance it would give my daughter in event of my death.

When they start including it in the assessment i might just stop paying in, it simply won't be worth it.

And the government keep telling us we should be saving for our future. :rolleyes:
    Change the bloody locks!
  • Blue_Horizon
    I've just done a quick calc and I would end up paying almost twice what I am paying at the moment. Thankfully I should be well clear of the CSA by the end of next summer. This is going to really cripple most financially.
  • i_hate_the_csa
    "I've just done a quick calc and I would end up paying almost twice what I am paying at the moment. Thankfully I should be well clear of the CSA by the end of next summer. This is going to really cripple most financially"

And CSA1 aint already doing this????
  • Blue_Horizon
    "I've just done a quick calc and I would end up paying almost twice what I am paying at the moment. Thankfully I should be well clear of the CSA by the end of next summer. This is going to really cripple most financially"

And CSA1 aint already doing this????
    Originally posted by i_hate_the_csa
    Point taken
  • kelloggs36
    Which is BS because the PWC could easily have gone for diversion of income. It is however quite difficult to prove as the motive for reducing CSA has to be proven even if it isn't the primary reason for the NRP decision. Also, it takes an absolute age!

The irony is i only keep my pension for the life assurance it would give my daughter in event of my death.

When they start including it in the assessment i might just stop paying in, it simply won't be worth it.

And the government keep telling us we should be saving for our future. :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by marksoton
    .................................................. ............
  • billius
    I presume they will also take into account CTC and WTC???
  • mum24boys
    Hi Everyone, On NASCAR website they have the formula for the calculation.
    Pensions are an allowable expense but there is a cap on the amount you can pay into closing the loophole of diverting income. I have not read anywhere that WTC and CTC are taken into account. With the new cuts coming less people are going to be entitled to tax credits anyway. We will certainly lose ours in 2012 when the limit comes down to £30K. Our calculation came back at £3 less than we pay now.
  • lynn45
    Having problems finding the white paper for new CMEC regulations- anyone know where i can find this???

I've read that the CSA office in shrewsbury is to close due to a fall in new applications for CM since 2008- think this was when PWC who's on benefits could choose whether or not to go through CSA/CMEC. Seems like a lot are opting out.
  • sarflee
    Pensions are an allowable expense but there is a cap on the amount you can pay into closing the loophole of diverting income. I have not read anywhere that WTC and CTC are taken into account. With the new cuts coming less people are going to be entitled to tax credits anyway. We will certainly lose ours in 2012 when the limit comes down to £30K. Our calculation came back at £3 less than we pay now.
    Originally posted by mum24boys
    It's not often posts make me smile on here but the thought of an American stock car racing site having a CSA formula made me smile! Thank you mum24boys!!
  • shell_542
    Originally posted by mum24boys
    Whereas my husband would pay £3 more a month.
    August GC 10th - 10th : £200 / £70.61
    NSD : 2/8
  • surreybased
    Just wondering where we can go to work out new calculations. It's worrying for us as we really don't have the disposable income to pay anymore.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,687Posts Today

8,546Users online

Martin's Twitter