Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Half Price South West Train Tickets (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Half Price South West Train Tickets
Closed Thread
Views: 18,499
# 1
Cheeky
Old 05-04-2006, 6:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Half Price South West Train Tickets

Official Insert

What's the deal?

South West trains are currently offering 50% off cheap day returns when you travel from any southwest train station between 1 April and 11 June 2006. Click here to see the routes available.

How to get a cheap ticket?

Click on the link below, enter your details and print the voucher. The voucher entitles up to 4 people 50% off off-peak tickets, all you need to do is present the voucher at the ticket office when you purchase your tickets.

http://www.halfpricetraintickets.co....oadvoucher.asp

Terms & Conditions

If you're under 16 you must be accompanied by an adult.
If you've used the voucher to get a discount for more than one person you must travel together.
The offer's valid between 1 April and 11 June excluding 13-17 April.
The offer only applies to off peak tickets so this usually means travelling after 9.30am or for London arriving after 10am.
The outward and return journey's must be completed on the same day and you must leave and return from the same station.

Back to the original post....................

Last edited by MSE Archna; 19-04-2006 at 12:55 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheeky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Nicholas
Old 20-04-2006, 7:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was hoping to make use of this offer, but unfortunately I live in the far South West. How can a company call itself South West trains and only go down as far as Exeter?
# 3
golddustmedia
Old 20-04-2006, 9:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas
I was hoping to make use of this offer, but unfortunately I live in the far South West. How can a company call itself South West trains and only go down as far as Exeter?
I agree!
I live in Tiverton (20 miles North of Exeter) and am astonished to see our line is excluded too! So no cheap fares to Bristol, Exeter or London. :-(
# 4
skyepark
Old 20-04-2006, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

and its same day travel! whats the point of that?
# 5
richardw
Old 20-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Could do day trips to Bournemouth Poole Weymouth Southampton Portsmouth at the weekend sounds good to me.

There is also groupsave http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/GroupSave.aspx 3 or 4 travel for the price of 2 people.

Last edited by richardw; 20-04-2006 at 12:00 PM.
# 6
djohnsonhk
Old 25-04-2006, 3:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Does anyone know if this be combined with railcard discounts (e.g. Young Persons Railcard)?
# 7
djohnsonhk
Old 27-04-2006, 8:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Oh, nevermind - I found it in the terms and conditions - can't combine it with railcards...
# 8
map200uk
Old 27-04-2006, 8:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default 50% off

i just read the terms and conditions etc, and im not entirely sure if i could still use this for a single,as it talks about the return must be made on the same day

what about if i am going to London for a week, can i not use this voucher from Portsmouth - London to get a single only?
# 9
djohnsonhk
Old 28-04-2006, 2:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by map200uk
i just read the terms and conditions etc, and im not entirely sure if i could still use this for a single,as it talks about the return must be made on the same day

what about if i am going to London for a week, can i not use this voucher from Portsmouth - London to get a single only?
'Cheap Day Return' tickets work out only a fraction more than a single. So if you use this voucher and then only use the ticket as a single, it would still definitely be worth it.

I did a quick price check on TheTrainLine.com and a standard single from Portsmouth to London Waterloo is 23.00. A Cheap Day Return is 23.90.

After using this voucher discount, the ticket should cost 11.95. It still represents a huge saving even if you use it as a single-way journey like you describe.
# 10
jenko
Old 30-04-2006, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to jenko
Default Help!!!!!

Hi - does anyone have one of these vouchers downloaded that they can email me??

I need to travel today and the website is down. I called South west trains who confirmed this is the case, but they couldn't email me one or help me in anyway so your help is greatly appreciated!!

Matt
# 11
tristran
Old 30-04-2006, 7:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky
Official Insert

What's the deal?

South West trains are currently offering 50% off cheap day returns when you travel from any southwest train station between 1 April and 11 June 2006. Click here to see the routes available.

How to get a cheap ticket?

Click on the link below, enter your details and print the voucher. The voucher entitles up to 4 people 50% off off-peak tickets, all you need to do is present the voucher at the ticket office when you purchase your tickets.

Terms & Conditions

If you're under 16 you must be accompanied by an adult.
If you've used the voucher to get a discount for more than one person you must travel together.
The offer's valid between 1 April and 11 June excluding 13-17 April.
The offer only applies to off peak tickets so this usually means travelling after 9.30am or for London arriving after 10am.
The outward and return journey's must be completed on the same day and you must leave and return from the same station.

Back to the original post....................

could u plz send me the half price train voucher plzzzzzzzz
# 12
tristran
Old 30-04-2006, 7:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

could someone plz plz plz send me the voucher
# 13
djohnsonhk
Old 06-05-2006, 10:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

You have to go to the link in the first post, fill out the form and print out the voucher.

I haven't used one yet, but it looks like it's linked to your name/address details, and is valid only for journeys you specify on the online form, so you can't transfer them between people.
# 14
lamnicholas
Old 07-05-2006, 11:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnsonhk
'Cheap Day Return' tickets work out only a fraction more than a single. So if you use this voucher and then only use the ticket as a single, it would still definitely be worth it.

I did a quick price check on TheTrainLine.com and a standard single from Portsmouth to London Waterloo is 23.00. A Cheap Day Return is 23.90.

After using this voucher discount, the ticket should cost 11.95. It still represents a huge saving even if you use it as a single-way journey like you describe.
Unless of course you can book a 1 single on www.megatrain.com and it will be even cheaper than this offer .
Closed Thread