Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anic
    • By Anic 22nd Jun 09, 9:47 PM
    • 839Posts
    • 1,299Thanks
    Anic
    0 WOW
    Passport Interview - What Questions do they Ask?
    • 22nd Jun 09, 9:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Passport Interview - What Questions do they Ask? 22nd Jun 09 at 9:47 PM
    My 16 year old son has an interview on Saturday for his first passport (he has never had a child one nor been on either mine or my husbands passports).

We had a look at the internet to see if he can get an idea of what sort of questions they might ask and the only website we can find is this one.

Passport Questions

If he was to go on these sample of questions he would only get three correct

Does that mean he would fail and not get a passport and have to reapply or is it more simple than that?

He needs a passport for a job he has a conditional offer for and is panicing that he'll get them all wrong and not only not get the passport but lose the job offer as well.
Page 5
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 18th Apr 13, 5:18 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    No wonder so few fail - surely if someone wants a British passport they really ought to learn English!!!!!!
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Totally agree. No-one should have a British passport who can't speak English. Our government is such a joke
    travelover
    • Proxy
    • By Proxy 18th Apr 13, 6:14 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Proxy
    What if you only speak Welsh?
    • essjaytee
    • By essjaytee 19th Apr 13, 2:34 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    essjaytee
    It would normally be through Royal Mail so would come with my normal post I presume, I don't actually know as I'm usually at work when the postman comes lol
    Originally posted by Char90
    I can't help but smile when I read this!
    Savings Target 2015 £10/£3000
  • Tags mummy
    First passports at 48!
    Thanks for all the valuable advice given above. As 48 year olds we are preparing to apply for our first passports so I was just a little scared that there would be questions I couldn't answer at the interview. Thanks to all your responses I can now relax
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 14th Jul 13, 11:52 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I will probably have one of these interviews I guess, my application was sent of 2 weeks ago, the form and leaflet only says "may" have an interview but as I understand it all first time claimants have one right?

The sample questions on http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1546209/Potential-passport-interview-questions.html I wouldnt know them all for sure.

I had to ring my parents to confirm their birthdays (every year I forget yes), marriage date and birth locations. So if they ask me those I will get wrong, I only know the months of their birthdays of by heart. I know my mothers maiden name but whats weird is the online passport form asks for the maiden name but the paper form doesnt, they have different questions.

I assume they use common sense during the interview and it isnt overly strict.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 15th Jul 13, 1:03 PM
    • 22,494 Posts
    • 56,056 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I hope they don't bring in the interviews for renewals any time soon - both Marley & I have expired passports but will be looking to renew shortly. I can answer most of the questions listed (my father? haven't a clue, haven't seen him for 20+ years) but Marley would be hopeless at anything other than his own name
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • InsideInsurance
    • By InsideInsurance 15th Jul 13, 3:45 PM
    • 22,222 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    InsideInsurance
    I assume they use common sense during the interview and it isnt overly strict.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    Since they introduced it to 2011 they have failed 5 people from the interviews so less than 1 in 400 people. Of cause there is an unknown number that haven't applied fraudulently because of the fear of the interview.

If you look at http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=42 you will find hundreds of people's questions that they've been asked and many are silly things like asking which supermarket you go to, how do you get there, how long does it take to get there etc.

They are only really testing if you are you nothing else. It is fairly basic cognitive questioning where you should be able to deal with every day questions and add detail. Arguably you should also not know some things and answer honestly that you dont know - it is this that catches more people out where cognitive questioning is used more rigorously outside of passports.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 8th Aug 13, 2:56 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    ok so I had my interview now.

The questions were really simple, describe my flat, where do my parents live, where do I go for bottle of milk, mothers maiden name, job status. Half the interview we chatted about football. Very informal.

So that was on saturday, passport came by courier on tuesday and the issue date was saturday same date as interview.
    • geminilady
    • By geminilady 8th Aug 13, 5:03 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    geminilady
    Thanks for all the valuable advice given above. As 48 year olds we are preparing to apply for our first passports so I was just a little scared that there would be questions I couldn't answer at the interview. Thanks to all your responses I can now relax
    Originally posted by Tags mummy
    I have just got my first at 56 the interview was fine,as others have said very informal and really nothing to worry about.
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 8th Aug 13, 5:24 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,819 Thanks
    carlislelass
    They also wanted a full birth certificate (not the shortened version you used to get) cost me £9 from the records office. That wasn`t needed when 2 eldest got passports(or interviews)
    • mollymunchkin
    • By mollymunchkin 8th Aug 13, 11:33 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    mollymunchkin
    How long can you expect to wait to get an appointment when you ring up to book one? Urgently need to renew a passport....
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
    • InsideInsurance
    • By InsideInsurance 9th Aug 13, 10:31 AM
    • 22,222 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    InsideInsurance
    How long can you expect to wait to get an appointment when you ring up to book one? Urgently need to renew a passport....
    Originally posted by mollymunchkin
    You dont have an interview for renewing a passport. Only for a first british adult passport if you never had one as a child.

A fast track appointment for a renewal depends on the office you are going to and how flexible you are. The only time I needed an urgent renewal it was the next day as they'd had a cancellation.
  • Navy_Rihanna
    Passport Interview Questions
    Hi I went for my interview for my First British Passport Interview today and I'd like to share what questions they asked me.

1. Spell my full name
    2. Was I employed or Unemployed
    3. My previous job
    4. The first and last name of my boss
    5. My education
    6. My current address
    7. First and last names of my college tutors
    8. Directions from my house to Newport
    9. Directions from my house to the local town center
    10. My date of birth
    11. My place of birth
    12. My parents full names
    13. Was I receiving any government benefits and what where they
    14. My parents address
    15. My previous address
    16. Any other people living with me at my current address and their names
    17. How I got to Newport and the directions
    18. My counter signature's profession
    19. Moving from my previous address to my current address
    20. How many siblings I have
    21. who lived at the previous address with me
    22. What modules in college I covered
    23. What course did I do in college
    24. What I needed a passport for
    25. Any travel I have in mind
    26. Where I was going on my travel and what for

These are just some of the questions I was asked, the Interview only last 10-15 minutes and it was very simple. The Interviewer took some notes down as I answered the questions she asked me. The Interviewer was ever so friendly and polite, she also said a few things before she started the interview with me. Overall there is nothing to be nervous or worried about
  • chl77
    Hi,

How long did it take after you sent your application in to get an interview for a first adult passport.
  • Chyl09
    Passport interview time and questions
    Thought i would share my first adult passport experience.
    I sent my application of 23rd May 2014 and did not hear anything until 16th July when i received a letter stating to ring for a interview. I did ring in the meantime in case got lost but didnt get far was just told it was processing.
    Rang up for my interview date which they gave me 11th August these are the questions i was asked at interview:

1. What is your full name?
    2. Spell your full name?
    3. Your date of birth?
    4. Where you was born? (Town)
    5. Full address where you live?
    6. How long you lived there?
    7. Your mothers full name?
    8. Mothers age?
    9. Fathers full name?
    10. Fathers age?
    11. Who lives in your house?
    12. How old are they?
    13. How many siblings you have?
    14. How old are they?
    15. Do you have a contract phone?
    16. Who is the contract supplier?
    17. Your occupation?
    18. How many children you have?
    19. Who counter signed your passport?
    20. What is their occupation?
    21. How long you have known them?

Then was asked to sign on a pad.
    I received my passport late next day at around 6pm. All in all nearly 12 weeks later i have my passport.
    • InsideInsurance
    • By InsideInsurance 19th Aug 14, 12:02 PM
    • 22,222 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    InsideInsurance
    Hi,

How long did it take after you sent your application in to get an interview for a first adult passport.
    Originally posted by chl77
    The wife's was a couple of days.
  • Sunshine2015
    (For First Time Passport Application - only)
    Hi Lovely People, (Take times in reading few comments and make some notes….)
    Here am sharing my Experiences.
    2nd June, 15 – Obtained Naturalization Certificate (Public – Ceremony) - Morning
    2nd June, 15 – Applied for Passport @ Post office – check (better make a photo copy what you sending) – Afternoon.
    5th June, 15 - Received letter to book for an appointment for an interview.
    (Select for your suitable location of office & Time) – I did for on 13th June, 15.
    For us strange Questions’ for them identity check. (Definitely everybody worked hard to achieve this – So just relax and prepare and answer with relax and confident).
    Questions not in particular order.
    How was your day / How did you arrive / Car / How long / What roads /where did you park/Whom you with here today /Have you been this area before etc../
    Name / DOB / present address – how long/ previous address – how long.
    What is your wife name /DOB/Profession / How many days etc..
    Have you got kids/ nursery / name of the teachers / how many days / around his place..
    What is your job / desk wise / people in your room/ have you got – office phone/ any photos/ explain work/ car park & whom you report to.
    Describe your house –layout / surrounding areas – location wise / How far is the station.
    Bank Account / Any more accounts / Credit Cards / Mortgage / Joint account…
    Marriage day / Father D.O.B / Mother D.O.B - & Where / parents –marriage day.
    When is your ceremony / How was happened – Brief explanation is better (like how many/ what happened).
    When did you apply for passport / what documents you sent (including photos –post office people will ask you to write down your grandparents name etc…when you apply)
    Name of the counter signatory / what she do / how you know / how long.
    What you do after this (Said need to cook some Grill chicken to Wife)…
    They will receive you pleasantly.
    No rush take own time in answering – no need of (Not a rapid fire). …All the best folks.
    By the way next day (15th June, 15) received a text – saying your passport is in printing will be arrived shortly. Arrived in two days (17th June, 15)…..Good Luck lovely people….and keep working hard and celebrate…
    • chan.met
    • By chan.met 9th Feb 16, 3:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chan.met
    I feel so much better after reading this!

Mine is in two days and I thought what if they ask me something I don't even remember. Surely I should know myself enough though.
    • Pleaseadvise
    • By Pleaseadvise 9th Sep 17, 4:37 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Pleaseadvise
    I had a passport interview yesterday and was quite worried about it. Perhaps I should've googled before the day, as I had no idea such a tiny number of people fail the interview! Hopefully mine will be ok.
    I spoke to 3 different interviewers, they were all polite and none seemed to be trying to make me feel nervous. I did think it was a little odd that there was music playing in the office as I was answering the questions, but as a mum I'm used to screening out sounds so it didn't stop me concentrating! There were lots of questions, the whole interview took half an hour. Only a few were of the kind I was expecting - parents' full names, place I was born, where I work and where my husband works. There were lots more about tiny details - the uniform at my youngest child's school, the view from my living room window, when the rubbish is collected, when the recycling is collected and exactly what you're allowed to put in it. I was pleased because I thought I'd remembered everything and only later realised I completely forgot to mention the separate glass collection every month, but if you get everything right maybe it looks suspicious? Anyway, they didn't ask anything about my childhood or education or the jobs I had before my current one. They didn't even ask for the town where my father was born, though I had asked him and written it on the form, but that may be just as well as he's over 80 and starting to get forgetful - for all I know he may have given me the wrong answer.
    Just waiting to hear now. They said it might take up to 10 working days before the passport arrives.
    PPI on Natwest loan, Barclayloan, MBNA credit card, and Mortgagecare all repaid just for asking in 2012/2013!

Barclaycard - PPI refund refused 26/01/13, ombudsman upheld 12 May 2014, Barclays resisted until March 2015 - FOS say Barclays are calculating an offer, they have 8 weeks.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 15th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    The interview in my opinion is almost a formality, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Most of mine was casual talk about football.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin