IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
countersigning passports
Closed Thread
Views: 31,205
# 1
WOW Factor 0
scooper
Old 30-03-2006, 3:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default countersigning passports

all 4 of my family have just filled in our applications for our passports,but we need them to be signed by a doctor/teacher.we ahve 4 so just dont really want to take all 4 in the doctors,is there anybody else we can ask,my children are 4 and 1 so i could maybe ask the nursery teacher,would that count?
thanks
appreciate what you have got x
# 2
Janeyjaz
Old 30-03-2006, 3:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default c/sig on ppts

Hi your c/sig can be a teacher or nurse or dentist or headteacher or say an accountant or engineer - anybody professionally qualified who has known you for more than 2 years - if yours are renewals you don't need a countersignature- hope this helps
Titch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janeyjaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
alison74
Old 30-03-2006, 6:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via AIM to alison74

Yes, just agreeing that you don't need them to be countersigned if they are renewals which is fabulous.

My friend is a GP and will not sign passports any more, not even for a fee as you must put down the countersignatory's passport number etc and a lot of professionals are reluctant to do this now.

My passport came in a record 10 days from when I sent it in Just got it 2 days ago.

Also, don't go the expense of check and send for renewals as you only have 2 sections to fill in.

BUT if you are worried about the phots, the size of your head and not smiling etc, the post office will check them for free for you with the little plastic measuring thingy that they have to make them UKPA standards.
The Following User Says Thank You to alison74 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
sloppychops
Old 30-03-2006, 6:45 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Just remember some professionals will charge for doing this,as my sis found out when she asked her doctor to do this,she said he charges 30 to countersign for 1 passport.
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
# 5
Bossyboots
Old 30-03-2006, 6:52 PM

Its 30 in our doctors surgery too.
# 6
barjam
Old 30-03-2006, 8:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
all 4 of my family have just filled in our applications for our passports,but we need them to be signed by a doctor/teacher.we ahve 4 so just dont really want to take all 4 in the doctors,is there anybody else we can ask,my children are 4 and 1 so i could maybe ask the nursery teacher,would that count?
thanks
yes a teacher would count regardless of who they teach but a 'nursery nurse 'cant do you not know anyone who works in your local post office cos they can also do it; a neighbour works in our local po and she signed it for my son
The Following User Says Thank You to barjam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
zappahey
Old 30-03-2006, 8:30 PM

Civil servants can do it too, so if you know any DSS, Customs, Inland Revenue, Defence, etc. employees then talk nice to them.
What goes around - comes around
# 8
princess
Old 30-03-2006, 8:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

....speech and language therapists, physiotherapists, chiropodists, paramedics, qualified librarians, ministers of religion......
# 9
harrie
Old 30-03-2006, 8:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i used the post office the postmaster done it free of charge
# 10
KathrynPenguin
Old 30-03-2006, 8:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to KathrynPenguin

As a teacher I wouldn't sign the form for children I teach. I have to put some of my personal details on that form so would only do it for a friend. You can also get it signed by a license holder or a company director. Anyone you know with a small business who has a limited company can sign
The Following User Says Thank You to KathrynPenguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Father_Christmas
Old 30-03-2006, 9:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile

A Nursery nurse did it for me. (countersign that is)
Am i here to save money or spend money......hmmmmm
# 12
ginger_nuts
Old 30-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I got a priest to sign mine .he had never seen me beefore in his life and he signed that he knew me 9 years .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginger_nuts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
MrSmartprice
Old 31-03-2006, 1:19 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
....speech and language therapists, physiotherapists, chiropodists, paramedics, qualified librarians, ministers of religion......
As a chiropodist, I am intrigued to know why anyone would expect any of this group to do it for free when a GP charges thirty quid :confused:

Personally, I think the whole thing is a charade. I have signed a few in the past, but only for people I know as friends, not clients. But the system is wide open to abuse for anyone determined to pull a fast one. I have only once been contacted by the passport office, many years ago, to confirm I knew the person. I just said I did, and that I had signed, and that was it. But I could have been anybody really. :rolleyes:
The Following User Says Thank You to MrSmartprice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Janeyjaz
Old 31-03-2006, 9:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Can I now say that from October to get a first time passport it will entail going to an office and having a personal interview, this should make things safer for all persons concerned and could I just say, a nursery nrse is just as safe as a teacher or a doctor and can countersign, but you must always put your employers name and address on the form.
Titch
# 15
zappahey
Old 31-03-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartprice
As a chiropodist, I am intrigued to know why anyone would expect any of this group to do it for free when a GP charges thirty quid :confused:
I don't think that the expectation was that Joe Public could expect it free from these professions, merely that if you have a friend in these areas they may be worth approaching.
What goes around - comes around
The Following User Says Thank You to zappahey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
hellofreebies
Old 31-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

my health visitor for my children signed theirs....but you really have to find someone who is happy or have their passport no. at hand to complete the form for you....though the form says if neccesary they are happy to take the signature without their passport no. but your application will be delayed as they will contact them to fill it in. i paid the extra fees for the passports to be returned to me recorded....i was renewing my two dd so paid the fee x2 but was pleasantly suprised when they sent me a cheque for a refund of one of the fees i had paid...so if your renewing or applying for more then one at any one given time then you only have to pay return postage once....hth

if your friendly with your surgery nurse she may be happy to do it free.

Last edited by hellofreebies; 31-03-2006 at 12:53 PM.
# 17
scooper
Old 01-04-2006, 3:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

hi thanks for all you help on this
my oh is ok as he can ask his boss,and i can ask my sons nursery for his,but for me and my daughter i think we will ahve to ask the doctor,although i cannot afford to pay 30 to have them sign it
also another question,we have just took the photos for my little girl and she has a big smile on it,would that be ok to send?it does say they accept more on childs passoport under 5 as its harder to take a photo?
appreciate what you have got x
# 18
alison74
Old 01-04-2006, 3:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via AIM to alison74

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
hi thanks for all you help on this
my oh is ok as he can ask his boss,and i can ask my sons nursery for his,but for me and my daughter i think we will ahve to ask the doctor,although i cannot afford to pay 30 to have them sign it
also another question,we have just took the photos for my little girl and she has a big smile on it,would that be ok to send?it does say they accept more on childs passoport under 5 as its harder to take a photo?

No, they do not accept smiles which is so stupid. My brother took his 11month son to get his done and of course he was smiling at the 'flashy thing and being held up in a magic room with a curtain' ! They sent the photo off (with a slight smile) and it was sent back.

What a nightmare for them. They ended up taking the picture when he had just woken up and was unable to smile since he didn't know where he was.

Fair enough on an adult passport, but a child ? This was sent to the Glasgow PA, so it may be different where you send yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to alison74 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
andrewmoorcroft
Old 01-04-2006, 9:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I know someone who works for the post office. She tells me that there are a list of people that can sign in the instructions leaflet. They seem to accept everyone with a degree even if they are not on the list. also the person who signs the childrens forms are signing to say they know you, NOT the child!!!!! 2 common mistakes are the signature going outside the box and the picture being wrong despite the obvious rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewmoorcroft For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
sal
Old 01-04-2006, 9:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm a nurse and I've signed quite a few for friends.

sal
you can't take it with you...
Closed Thread