Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 108
    • Prothet of Doom
    • By Prothet of Doom 26th Aug 16, 12:19 AM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 3,753 Thanks
    Prothet of Doom
    I work for Jaguar Landrover as a production engineer
    30K PA
    tonnes of benefits,
    upto 20% on jags and landrovers, and ford
    lots of cheap health club/holidays/healthcare deals
    Originally posted by jt2k6
    I work freelance as a Production Engineer.
    Hourly rate at the moment is about £44, and Turnover before costs last year was £84K, Sounds good ? Well perhaps not.

Costs of travel, accommodation and running a business were £18K. I put £20K into pension, drew a salary of £11K took a dividend of £20K, the rest after the Corporation Tax, stayed in business to cover any slack times in future.
    I get no benefits, other than I choose my own hours and ignore the clients hours (I'm not an employee of them), and take more holidays that I would if I were employed. My 45p a mile more than pays for a shitty 11 year old astra which strangely is very reliable.
    No health club, or discounts, and don't get sick pay.

The year before I took £50K dividend, and put £40K of it into a deposit on a buy to let which should make £3K profit a year after interest is paid.

Conclusion we earn about the same.
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 26th Aug 16, 7:25 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Optical assistant, £13,000 a year.
    28/04/2016 Swagbucks payout: £80
    0/2,000
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 26th Aug 16, 7:53 AM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Data input .. £14,040 currently meeting daily targets for productivity

Highest salary offered to date been £23,500 and was before London weighting could have been added - but I turned it down as I didn't want another isolating job and I wasn't sure I'd meet the targets required for this.
    Patience is a necessary ingredient of genius
    • engineer21
    • By engineer21 31st Aug 16, 4:17 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    engineer21
    Ships Engineer (1st Engineer Rank) sailing on offshore vessels worldwide.....trying to hold on to a job @ age 30 earning 65k per year working away for a mnth and home for a mnth

great money.....but some very real downsides.... missed 4 friends weddings this year, missed funerals, etc
    • Jaguar Skills
    • By Jaguar Skills 31st Aug 16, 8:05 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Jaguar Skills
    Aged 30, Rights of Light Surveyor - £50k PA with 2 6 monthly bonuses per year of approximately £20k - £25k.

I really do enjoy my job.
    • tommysaver
    • By tommysaver 31st Aug 16, 8:05 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    tommysaver
    Aged 30, Rights of Light Surveyor - £50k PA with 2 6 monthly bonuses per year of approximately £20k - £25k.

I really do enjoy my job.
    Originally posted by Jaguar Skills
    I've always been interested in this..

(I work in Building services as a Junior Mechanical Engineer, so often come across it on high rise new builds)

I'm guessing you are very good / quite high up to be taking that home? Extremely good money for your age. I'm 23 and earning more than my age but would like to settle into one specific area!
    • Sarahlovesshoes
    • By Sarahlovesshoes 1st Sep 16, 7:50 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Sarahlovesshoes
    Section planner (railway)
    £30894
    Finally debt free and loving it!
    • tommysaver
    • By tommysaver 1st Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    tommysaver
    Section planner (railway)
    £30894
    Originally posted by Sarahlovesshoes
    Hope your not involved with HS2. Thoughts?
    • Sarahlovesshoes
    • By Sarahlovesshoes 1st Sep 16, 9:41 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Sarahlovesshoes
    Hope your not involved with HS2. Thoughts?
    Originally posted by tommysaver
    No I work in South Wales.
    I struggle with HS2 tbh. Whilst any investment in the railway is welcome after years and years of chronic under funding. The money that is being spent on Hs2 for the benefit of London (again) could be used in so many other areas. Including my own area that I look after which is mostly old rail, single track etc.
    Finally debt free and loving it!
    • JanisDzenis
    • By JanisDzenis 5th Oct 16, 2:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JanisDzenis
    I am 38 and a full time parent and don't have a salary as such, though I do make a bit of pocket money selling on ebay, gumtree, buying broken stuff and fixing it to resell.

thats amazing, I've just started a youtube channel doing DIY, life hacks, projects etc, its early days but I'm enjoying making videos and its great to hear its possible to make a decent living at it. So far I've made a grand total of 21 cents through youtube ads however I've recently been given some fairly valuable powertools to review which is a nice bonus.

Can I ask what your channel is called?

Also is Dzenis a Latvian name?
    Originally posted by snowdogg
    It is Latvian name Main one is called DeepMixNation
    • baaluo
    • By baaluo 6th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    baaluo
    Computer programmer - 24.000£ salary, working 10 hours a day at the age of 35.
    Around 10.000£ from freelance projects.
    Although I'm spending 6000£ a year on software and website memberships.
    • DaveTheGeordie
    • By DaveTheGeordie 12th Oct 16, 10:55 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    DaveTheGeordie
    I work in Burger King. Living the dream lol.
    • socratez
    • By socratez 13th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    socratez
    £35k per year plus 10% annual bonus - Internal Recruitment Manager
    • gundo
    • By gundo 15th Oct 16, 9:38 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    gundo
    £34.5K - 3rd line IT support in a higher education organisation.

I'm 50+ and have been working in IT for over 25 years, so I think I'm doing pretty poorly really. I'm a STEM subject graduate for that's worth (that was over 30 years ago!). I had a setback 10 years where as a result of a personality clash (I'm being kind, I was bullied in the workplace by a very senior manager) I got made redundant (the circumstances were very dodgy but the legal advice I was given was that it wasn't worth the hassle of going to an employment tribunal - my union was utterly useless). So that did me no favours I had to start again from the bottom. I'm still earning less now than I was 12 years ago not even taking into account inflation.

I like really enjoy working in the education (I have done for the majority of my working life), it's varied and interesting and the people I deal with are fascinating and very cosmopolitan. I have also worked in local government and the civil service but education, in particular higher education is a much more interesting environment.

Perks:

I don't have to wear business attire, I can if I want but on the whole despite the fact that it's an office environment most people dress quite casually. It's no big deal I've been in jobs where I had to be suited and booted every day but I quite like not having to. 50+ and I still haven't grown up!

The Christmas-New Year break, we get the bridging days for free and a couple of extra days at Easter.

And when I was based on campus, the summer hols were quieter and you could get so much more done.

Interacting with students isn't always a pleasure but they often surprise me with their insights and different outlook on life. So different from working in a local government office full of white British dandruff shouldered middle aged blokes dressed in grey.
    Trying hard to be a good moneysaver.
    • northernsaver
    • By northernsaver 15th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    northernsaver
    Web Developer, £27k per year + 10% annual bonus.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 15th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    Ships Engineer (1st Engineer Rank) sailing on offshore vessels worldwide.....trying to hold on to a job @ age 30 earning 65k per year working away for a mnth and home for a mnth

great money.....but some very real downsides.... missed 4 friends weddings this year, missed funerals, etc
    Originally posted by engineer21
    If you manage to do 6 months a year out of the uk waters you do not pay tax so 65k is what you take home plus you do only work 6 months of the year (Retired chief engineer oil tankers)
    Downside, you drift away from family and friends after years doing the job and friends you make live far away so you only chat on facebook.
    • SamboJambo
    • By SamboJambo 19th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    SamboJambo
    Accounts assistant for a small business £22.5k (pro-rata as I only work 4 days per week) I only get 4weeks holiday plus up to 5 extra days if you dont take any days sick leave (Despite working there 13 years). If the company hits target we also get a £1200 bonus.
    • hiccup88
    • By hiccup88 1st Nov 16, 6:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hiccup88
    Train Operator for London Underground - 51k

I work part time so my salary is 23.5k for 2 days.

Benefits:
    * Oyster card covering zones 1-9 on TfL services (one for a family member who lives at the same address as you... if you want)
    * Great pension
    * Access to a discount website that shows offers from Microsoft packages to Eurostar tickets
    * The usual cycle to work schemes and flexible working opportunities etc

Good company to work for in my opinion, with plenty of opportunities to progress
    • Icklebear
    • By Icklebear 9th Nov 16, 1:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Icklebear
    33, restaurant manager 28k
    *pension
    *28 days holiday
    I'm based in a shopping centre so don't work until silly oclock at night
    • agentk
    • By agentk 9th Nov 16, 3:39 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    agentk
    I work in Burger King. Living the dream lol.
    Originally posted by DaveTheGeordie
    Me too!

Litter picker 11 hrs

Paper round 11 hrs

Age 47

Combined wage 7k gotta laugh or i will cry
    3.55kw 2 systems 2.3 se 1.25 sw installed may 2011 and oct 2011..

I have never been mis sold anything but i have bought a few things i didnt need!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

20Posts Today

3,800Users online

Martin's Twitter