Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PlayingHardball
    • By PlayingHardball 26th May 09, 6:40 PM
    • 751Posts
    • 765Thanks
    PlayingHardball
    REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order
    • 26th May 09, 6:40 PM
    REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order 26th May 09 at 6:40 PM
    Hi all, has anyone got an ex who has moved to another country and stopped supporting their child, as in my case? My ex had been payinig through CSA for 5 years, suddenly got a job in Germany and now CSA can't do anything as he no longer resides here. My question is, has anyone out there gone the route I'm going with a REMO via the courts and been successful? I haven't had a payment since last June and the effect on my daughter has been significant, to say the least. Oh...and him? Well, he is still enjoying short breaks in his house in the south of france, nice one eh? Unfortunately for the ex-I'm not a quitter and am treating this as my 'newest hobby'.
    It would be great to hear a success story! Cheers everyone!
    Last edited by PlayingHardball; 16-01-2010 at 2:30 PM.
Page 21
    • tiredtracey
    • By tiredtracey 17th Dec 15, 5:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tiredtracey
    After reading these posts I am surprised any of the responsible parents have time for any parenting at all. Follow ups with REMO take time away from our children. The government needs to change legislation.
    My ex husband went to Australia . I found out told the CSA they have stopped my payments. I started a tribunal process after my ex husband decided to send me a skype message stating he wanted nothing to do with his daughter until she was 18. I am now without CSA payments whilst I try to chase REMO up to get something done. Apparently there are so many of these iresponsible people that abandon their children REMO is having problems with keeping up. I got a reply saying that it will take 28 days to read and do something about my current plight. I used rent money to pay off this months expenses for my daughter so I am hoping that something gets sorted soon otherwise I will be homeless. They dont seem to realise the gravity of the situation especially the CSA. They just told me it was policy. Well then the policy needs to be changed to better protect the responsible parent. If there are any solicitors or MP's reading these threads change it to make both partners 50% responsible and enforce it. 15% of someones wages does not cut it especially in the UK for living costs. I will let you all know how I get on but after reading your posts I am really upset and not sleeping. My daughter deserves better than the justice she is getting at the moment. I feel like pitching up at his place if I knew what his address was lol !!! and dropping my daughter off and saying here you be the responsible parent from now on and I will just move to a different country and get away with not paying anything just to wake him up. Maybe I should involve the media and do it as a stunt to get this problem noticed once they locate his address. Perhaps then this will change. There is an excellent site called change.org , if any of you are fed up with the situation send a message to your MP and the Prime Minister through t
    • GoPras
    • By GoPras 16th Feb 16, 8:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GoPras
    I agree. REMO does know me already, I have been calling and researching..... no information really. Maybe I have another go at it , I am worn out and the kids are almost 18 soon..... But thanks again.
    Originally posted by bettyblueeyes
    Hi Bettyblueeyes
    I read your posts on this topic and can empathise but wonder if you need to get new orders made at all.

I receive maintenance from Switzerland using REMO and have had a fairly straight forward experience. I got my court orders made in this jurisdiction then brought the orders to the REMO to enforce them. After a bit of forward and back to make sure the Swiss canton had the papers they needed I started getting regular payments, within 3 months. They were sticklers for the docs they needed but I didn't have to go back to court to change orders just because he changed the jurisdiction - REMO's business is just to enforce the orders that are already made.

Article 17 of the The Hague convention states:

The party seeking recognition or applying for enforcement of a decision shall furnish -

(1) a complete and true copy of the decision; (aka, the court order)
    (2) any document necessary to prove that the decision is no longer subject to the ordinary forms of review in the State of origin and, where necessary, that it is enforceable; (aka a simple letter from the court to say it is enforceable - the REMO people should be able to do this for you / help you with this)
    (3) if the decision was rendered by default, the original or a certified true copy of any document required to prove that the notice of the institution of proceedings, including notice of the substance of claim, has been properly served on the defaulting party according to the law of the State of origin; (aka, if the opposition wasn't in court when the order was made, provide whatever document was used as the proof of service of those proceedings. This will be either postage record or summons server record, whatever it was. If you don't have it, the solicitor who helped get the order will have it, or failing that the people in the REMO unit may be able to help).
    (4) where appropriate, any document necessary to prove that he obtained legal aid or exemption from costs or expenses in the State of origin; (if you have this you will get exemptions from on-going costs)
    (5) a translation, certified as true, of the above-mentioned documents unless the authority of the State addressed dispenses with such translation (in my case the REMO did this for me but if you translate it yourself, ask REMO if they can help you get it certified as true).

Article 17 continues: "If there is a failure to produce the documents mentioned above or if the contents of the decision do not permit the authority of the State addressed to verify whether the conditions of this Convention have been fulfilled, the authority shall allow a specified period of time for the production of the necessary documents. No legalisation or other like formality may be required."
    In other words, the Swiss authorities won't start work on collecting until these docs are in place, but you don;t need further legal work.

Once the REMO unit here transferred my docs to the Swiss authority, the Swiss sent back a form to be completed where you list by month the amount ordered, the amount received, and the accumulated amount owing. I started receiving payments within a month of them having this doc. Of course the x is objecting to the full arrears, but whilst this is being dealt with I am still receiving monthly payments. He cannot change the orders though.

The only problems I had were in relation to the exchange rate and the arrears have still not been collected, but that will come.

Basically, try to get a contact person in the Remo office to help you through the process and keep everything tight and clean. The orders are already made, this is just about enforcing them.

One more thing you might want to think about, as the children reach 18 they could apply direct for their own maintenance orders, and may be legal aided to do so.

All the best xo
    Last edited by GoPras; 16-02-2016 at 9:12 PM.
    • freefrom:0)
    • By freefrom:0) 24th Feb 16, 11:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    freefrom:0)
    Upto page 9 of the thread so far. Just a quick one about my situation... My ex lives in the uk, house is uk mortgage, banks with uk bank but works abroad and has accountant who brings him in under the tax bracket. Cmoptions have done a rough calculation of monthly payment guessing his income (min£40k) he's offered me £35p/w for 2kids but suggest family based agreement is way to go. I left over a year ago and he's not paid a penny. He now wants to take kids on holiday to play top dad in front of his new girlfriend and needs passports from me. Lo, a cheque for £900 has appeared. £35 p/w for every week that I have had them.... (Son stays with him every other week when he's home, daughter won't go). I don't think he realises that I don't have a leg to stand on legally but he needs to look good in front of his kids. As far as they are concerned he's given me money so all good. Is anyone in my situation? He moves all over so wrote remo off. Don't have consent/court order. Need to pull my finger out. Advice gratefully received.
    • Amystan
    • By Amystan 26th Feb 16, 11:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Amystan
    Hi. I'm about to embark on the REMO process as well. The father of my child has moved to Canada several months ago and is threatening not to pay child support. He has not stopped paying yet but he is paying a lower amount than he should pay (according to both UK and Canadian guidelines).

I have contacted my local magistrates court by email and was redirected to the London REMO team - also via email. They have now sent me all the forms to fill out - to apply for a provisional court order here, which will be then sent to Canada. I'm planning to send the forms over the next couple of weeks, it takes a while to compile all information that they want (full financial disclosure for myself - income and expenses, etc).

I will be posting updates here. This thread deserves to be updated, it has so much information and I'm hoping some old users are still active in case I have questions!

Good luck to everyone who is still going through the process.
    Originally posted by knightley

Hi Knightley, just wondering how your application went?
    I have recieved today an application from the courts to start proceedings to apply for a REMO. My ex husband is living in Canada too and I've not had anything from him since September '14.
    I'm a little confused as I have been sent a financial statement to complete, is the amount of maintenance my daughter receives from my ex husband determined by my financial status?
    Any help would be much appreciated
    • fraido
    • By fraido 12th Mar 16, 6:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    fraido
    Remo help
    Hi there,

The Child Maintenance Service (and Northern Ireland equivalent) are slow to tell their customers about reciprocal arrangements between the UK and the rest of the world (REMO). That's if they even mention it at all!

I've put everything I can find on REMO on one website to try and spread the word. You can find it on weebly and it's called NIREMO. I'm prevented from linking to it here.The information and site is all free and if you have any specific questions I'd be only too happy to answer them (there's a contact page to email me). If anyone has suggestions on what more needs to be included I'd love to hear them.

Time to get this information out there. Ultimately the children suffer through lack of proper financial support from the non-resident parent.

I hope this helps!
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 4th Apr 16, 10:57 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    I posted on here a few years ago, and I'm still waiting for the arrears. Everything was transferred over to Bury St Edmunds last year, and everything came to a complete standstill. The NRP is still paying (at the moment) but he still owes the arrears and the order expires on Saturday. I've been in touch with Bury St Edmunds and they have said they will send the NRP a letter to tell him to pay the arrears and they will extend the order for another 18 months (until our son leaves school), but seriously!! Is there anything else I can do as they seem useless
    • Sarah2904
    • By Sarah2904 9th May 16, 10:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarah2904
    Hi
    Can you share your experience with me please. I would like to start the process and has just only found the site today.
    • Sarah2904
    • By Sarah2904 9th May 16, 10:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarah2904
    Share your experience and steps please.
    Share your experience and steps please.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 10th May 16, 10:32 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    Hi, Sarah. The way in which you go to court for a REMO has changed since last year, everything in the UK (apart from London) was transferred to Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk (and it's a nightmare to get through on the phone). Do you have the forms already, as this will help. If you don't have them, you're best off calling them for advice and they will send you the right forms. Their number is 0344 892 4000 and they are open Mon to Fri, 10am - 4pm. It took me 4 days (calling every hour) to get through to them on the phone, so you'll need the patients of a saint. You can also email them (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put the email address on here, so you can google it). They are slow to reply to emails though, just to warn you.

I shouldn't say too much as family courts are held in private and there's restrictions as to what people can say on the internet etc. It was pretty straight forward though as I'd told them where he worked and lived. It took 3 months from filling the papers to the court hearing though so it was pretty quick. I have to take him back to court though through Bury St Edmunds and I've no idea how long that will take.

I hope this helps.
    • Standingontwofeet
    • By Standingontwofeet 15th Sep 16, 5:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Standingontwofeet
    Hi, I'm trying for child support from Australia, I have just been granted my court order stating my ex must pay me, the monthly amount he is due & the back payments he has missed. The court here is now meant to be sending it onto Australia for the court to enforce over there.
    It has been a LONG battle to get to this point with him trying to hide so I could not get the Writ served on him. The court officers over there were great we found him ;-) even if I had to become detective to track him down!!
    This has been a very lonely experience, there is so little on the internet about uk parents seeking support from Oz. I read on a forum to treat this as a hobby so it does not consume your life, that is good advice, its also been my therapy for years of abuse by him :-)
    Originally posted by kittiecat
    Hi great to see you are having some success, I've just started the Remo process. You say you have gone to court and they have ordered him to pay maintenance. Did Remo sort all that out for you? Or what do I need to do to intially get the UK courts to order that?

Many thanks
    • scared1969
    • By scared1969 24th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    scared1969
    he lost his job
    my ex paid for a year. child support and maintance, then about a year ago announced he was made redundant and could no longer afford to pay. He was a very well paid exec, remarried and has a green card and bought a huge house in the USA. He is now saying he cannot afford to pay for flights for the kids ?? Ive started the remo process as, if he has lost his job (the company did pull out of the USA i know that is true) and he really is not working, how would that work with the remo. I told him to apply though the uk courts for variation as then it is all legal and above board and he won't do it, which makes mw think he must be working or self employed or something. Will he still be made to pay the arrears????
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 10th Dec 16, 5:19 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    my ex paid for a year. child support and maintance, then about a year ago announced he was made redundant and could no longer afford to pay. He was a very well paid exec, remarried and has a green card and bought a huge house in the USA. He is now saying he cannot afford to pay for flights for the kids ?? Ive started the remo process as, if he has lost his job (the company did pull out of the USA i know that is true) and he really is not working, how would that work with the remo. I told him to apply though the uk courts for variation as then it is all legal and above board and he won't do it, which makes mw think he must be working or self employed or something. Will he still be made to pay the arrears????
    Originally posted by scared1969
    The court will look at his income (he has to provide proof) and they will make an award based on that. If there's already an order in place, he needs to go to the court where he is, not the UK court, and ask for a variation. If he doesn't go through the correct channels, the court order is still in place and he has to carry on paying the amount on the order until he goes through the correct channels. He's still liable for the arrears too. You need to apply in the UK for the order to be enforced in America if you haven't done this already and they try to collect the arrears for you too, but it does take a while (and it depends on how helpful the court in the US is). I'm not sure about maintenance, I'm assuming this is spousal maintenance??

My ex has claimed redundancy too and he isn't paying anything (he has some pics of some lovely holidays on his Facebook page though). I've been back to the court to ask for the order to be enforced, and I've been told that the original order is still valid as he hasn't asked his court for a variation (he refuses to speak to me or I'd let him know about this) so the arrears are just mounting! There's a specific form for arrears, but I'm still waiting for the court to send it to me. I can't think why they are being so slow

I hope this helps.
    • REMONOW
    • By REMONOW 26th Feb 17, 10:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    REMONOW
    Current REMO IN process
    Hello,

I've read all posts and am currently in the REMO process.

I am a US Citizen who married a Scottish man, now my ex, and I live in the US with my 7yr old.

We lived in Scotland then when my ex lost his job we moves to the USA where I went to work. He lasted 8 months before abandoning us and moving back to Scotland. We were married and divorced in the USA but my child was born in Scotland.

I have received only one child support payment since he left.

I have a court order and it has been hell getting the county agency to get it sent to Scotland. It took 3 yes starting with one year that concluded with a statement that the USA does not have an agreement with Scotland. I asked if they knew that Scotland was part of the UK and they said, Oh...took another two years to get going.

Then I got fed up and asked for a meeting with a supervisor and suddenly the paperwork got sent to Scotland. It has been with Scotland for 7 months and I do know the paperwork has been sent to his local Sheriff's and a solicitor is being found.

I didnt know a solicitor was needed but that's what I was told.

So, I wait.

I would love to know if anyone has gotten ton the is point and what happens next.

He moved back to Scotland 5 yrs ago and has never come to visit his child. He owes $15,000 in arrears and I have no idea if he is currently employed.

I just want to make sure registration takes place because he owns a house free and clear and I'm hoping that that property would cover my kid's arrears.

It has been so hard and I'm so in debt with paying chold care over these last few years. It has been a big struggle.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 27th Feb 17, 12:39 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    Hello,

I've read all posts and am currently in the REMO process.

I am a US Citizen who married a Scottish man, now my ex, and I live in the US with my 7yr old.

We lived in Scotland then when my ex lost his job we moves to the USA where I went to work. He lasted 8 months before abandoning us and moving back to Scotland. We were married and divorced in the USA but my child was born in Scotland.

I have received only one child support payment since he left.

I have a court order and it has been hell getting the county agency to get it sent to Scotland. It took 3 yes starting with one year that concluded with a statement that the USA does not have an agreement with Scotland. I asked if they knew that Scotland was part of the UK and they said, Oh...took another two years to get going.

Then I got fed up and asked for a meeting with a supervisor and suddenly the paperwork got sent to Scotland. It has been with Scotland for 7 months and I do know the paperwork has been sent to his local Sheriff's and a solicitor is being found.

I didnt know a solicitor was needed but that's what I was told.

So, I wait.

I would love to know if anyone has gotten ton the is point and what happens next.

He moved back to Scotland 5 yrs ago and has never come to visit his child. He owes $15,000 in arrears and I have no idea if he is currently employed.

I just want to make sure registration takes place because he owns a house free and clear and I'm hoping that that property would cover my kid's arrears.

It has been so hard and I'm so in debt with paying chold care over these last few years. It has been a big struggle.
    Originally posted by REMONOW

I'm where you are now, 3 years on and I'm still waiting too (making a complaint did seem to speed things up though) and I know it's frustrating. It helps to see any maintenance as a bonus, but to look at your household budget so that you don't rely on something that may never turn up, or in my case it may turn up once my son's left school so after years of struggling to pay my bills and feed my child, I no longer need it.

An enforcement has to be sent to the main court (in your case I'm not sure if it's the Scottish High Court or the High Court in London), who then send it on to your ex partner's local court. They will then start the enforcement. It's hard to say if they will force him to sell his house, but I don't think it's likely as he'll need somewhere to live. He will have to get in touch with his court to let them know his finances and they will make an order from here. You don't need a solicitor, but a legal advisor does check the documents so maybe that's what they mean. Unfortunately no one sought fit to put a time scale on any of this, so we're at the mercy of the courts.

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry that you're going through this too
    • Kim18035
    • By Kim18035 8th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kim18035
    CSA decission
    Hi ,

Does anybody know if I have to register CSA decision with REMO or can directly contact court in the other country to register it ? Child Maintenance Options site provide this :

If the paying parent lives in the European Union

Since 18 June 2011, countries in the European Union (EU) must enforce:

court orders for child maintenance
    decisions made by a UK statutory child maintenance service (the Child Support Agency or the Child Maintenance Service)

Thanks for any advice.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 8th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    Hi ,

Does anybody know if I have to register CSA decision with REMO or can directly contact court in the other country to register it ? Child Maintenance Options site provide this :

If the paying parent lives in the European Union

Since 18 June 2011, countries in the European Union (EU) must enforce:

court orders for child maintenance
    decisions made by a UK statutory child maintenance service (the Child Support Agency or the Child Maintenance Service)

Thanks for any advice.
    Originally posted by Kim18035
    You can't register a CSA decision with REMO or any non-UK court, a CSA decision is only valid if the non-resident parent lives in the UK. You have to go for a REMO if they are in another REMO country, and you can ask the court here to award the same amount as the CSA would award. If you call the CSA and tell them the NRP is now living in another country, even an EU country, they will not enforce it and they will close your case (I'm speaking from experience here). It may be different if the NRP has ties to the UK (so if they own a home here or if they work for a company based in the UK), so some more information may help??
    • Sassymouse17
    • By Sassymouse17 17th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sassymouse17
    REMO starting out
    Hi all,
    I would really appreciate it if someone could help. I've been scanning through this thread on remo and getting a bit confused.
    I am a mother to a 10 month old, she was born here in the UK, I am a British citizen but her father lives abroad and is foreign (Jamaican). I have checked the list of remo countries and it is there.
    He is in some form of contact with me so I can get an address for him, however he doesn't provide any regular child support despite earning a lot. He has given me a bit here and there but nothing substantial and talks with him have failed. Hence I'd like to get something more formal set up.
    What is my starting point? Looks like I need to get an order set up- how do I do this and what documents are required? He's not on the birth certificate and we have not been married. Thank you in advance
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 18th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    Mine was done a few years ago and I had to pop to my local county court and they gave me the forms, I filled them in, took them to my court, they got in touch with my ex and he provided all of the bank statements and whatnot through a solicitor. I had a hearing, and the order was made there and then. Getting the maintenance order enforced, however, is a different kettle of fish and I'm still waiting for this to be done so it's a very slow thing. I'm not sure if the new orders are done the same way now as they moved all of the REMO applications to Bury St Edmunds last year, but you could try calling them to ask them to send the forms to you, their number is 0300 123 3034; https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov.uk/courts/Maintenance-Enforcement-Centre-England Their phone line's misleading (it says they are busy, and gives you their opening hours and it insinuates that you need to hang up) and if you hang on, someone usually answers. It's open 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday I think. You can email them too, but it takes them 28 daysish to send you a letter.

I hope this helps. It's best not to rely upon any maintenance to be honest with you as it can take a really long time to sort, and sometimes it's not sorted at all Just see it as a bonus if it is all sorted and you start to receive payments for your little one.
    • Kim18035
    • By Kim18035 23rd Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kim18035
    Cms
    Hi , does anyone manage to receive from CMS filled annex IV as per EU regulation 4/2009 ?
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 6th Apr 17, 4:51 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    As far as I'm aware, you can't use CMS for a REMO, you have to apply for this through the courts. The only time you may be able to use CMS is if your ex partner works for a UK based company, or if there's significant ties to the UK (like as in your ex comes back frequently and owns a house here).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

867Posts Today

7,257Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin