IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
'Certified Cheque' Scam?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,735
# 1
GreyPilgrim
Old 23-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default 'Certified Cheque' Scam?

We just advertised a table for sale in Loot, and have received a note from a buyer along the lines of 'I would like to pay for this with a UK certified Cheque and am happy to wait until the funds clear before picking up the item' (I don't have the exact wording to hand as it's on my wifes account)

It's a scam isn't it. The funds are going to clear, the buyers 'agent' will pick up the table, and then the bank will withraw the funds, right?

Or could it be genuine...seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a flat pack kitchen table.
Lardloss / Alcohol-free start day: May 14th 2012
Starting Lard: 20 Stone 11 Pounds
Current Lard: 20 Stone 7 Pounds
Days without beer: 4
LardLost: 4 pounds
The Following User Says Thank You to GreyPilgrim For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
skylight
Old 23-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yep. Your scam alert radar is working well!

Reply along the lines of your bank froze your bank account after they made a big error on a payment from a Nigerian Prince that you were waiting for but it didn't happen because they must have muddled you up with your dead Grandmother who lost her handbag in John Lewis and and had all her house contents stolen. Anyway, all this means that your bank account if frozen, you cannot take a cheque and it will have to be cash.

I doubt you'll hear from them again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skylight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
seabright
Old 24-05-2009, 12:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cheques can be recalled at any time, even after they've apparently cleared. You're right, it's a scammer.
# 4
omen666
Old 24-05-2009, 2:04 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

They can be recalled months down the line especially where they are foreign ones. Scam
# 5
prowla
Old 24-05-2009, 8:25 AM

Wait for the bit where they over-pay you and ask for the change in cash!
# 6
Enterprise 1701C
Old 24-05-2009, 8:26 AM

I thought there was new rules on this - couldn't find it clearly in general circulation but did find this, so still seems unclear!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=588796
What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
# 7
martindow
Old 25-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabright View Post
Cheques can be recalled at any time, even after they've apparently cleared. You're right, it's a scammer.
Not on UK cheques any more with the 2-4-6 system - the money is definitely yours on 6th day

http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=263&a=367

Agree the OP's situation is very suspicious - no such thing as a 'certified' cheque as far as I know.
# 8
jdfallon1978
Old 25-05-2009, 3:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Not nessacarily a scam, I would say unlikely as they have contacted you before trying to buy the item. Rather than telling you afterwards that they want to pay by cheque. I have had a few payments like this on ebay over the last year and never had a problem. A 'certified cheque' is just proof that you have the said money in your account, they may just be trying to reassure you or may have got their terminology a bit mixed up. Regarding chargebacks on cheques as far as I was aware it was up to 6 days after the cheque had cleared, the exception being if they suspect you of commiting fraud. It is with my bank - I checked a while back. In this case just give them that date as the date they can pick the table up.
# 9
soolin
Old 25-05-2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfallon1978 View Post
Not nessacarily a scam, I would say unlikely as they have contacted you before trying to buy the item. Rather than telling you afterwards that they want to pay by cheque. I have had a few payments like this on ebay over the last year and never had a problem. A 'certified cheque' is just proof that you have the said money in your account, they may just be trying to reassure you or may have got their terminology a bit mixed up. Regarding chargebacks on cheques as far as I was aware it was up to 6 days after the cheque had cleared, the exception being if they suspect you of commiting fraud. It is with my bank - I checked a while back. In this case just give them that date as the date they can pick the table up.
If you read the other posts you will see that the 2-4-6 cheque clearance covers mainly UK high street banks, you either get the full 2-4-6 protection or you don't, simple as that.

As for a certified cheque it may be a simple language error, but what are you suggesting they actually mean?
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 10
kprigg
Old 25-05-2009, 5:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If they send a cheque drawn on a UK Bank account that you can safely say the funds are cleared after 6 working days.
Are they perhaps getting confused with a Bankers Draft by saying its certified maybe? If it were me I would first ask if they wanted to do a bank transfer as this is the easiest way for both sides (you can safely say that the payment will not be withdrawn at any time after the day it hits your bank account - usually 4 working days after they send it).
If you are not happy about accepting bank transfers then as I said before, a UK cheque should be fine after 6 working days.
Trying to loose lbs & gain 's
# 11
Valli
Old 25-05-2009, 5:45 PM

Location: In a little cloud of optimism, playing the 'Glad Game' - Feel free to join in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylight View Post
Yep. Your scam alert radar is working well!

Reply along the lines of your bank froze your bank account after they made a big error on a payment from a Nigerian Prince that you were waiting for but it didn't happen because they must have muddled you up with your dead Grandmother (who died in France BTW but you had no insurance and had to bring her back on the roof rack) who lost her handbag in John Lewis and and had all her house contents stolen. Anyway, all this means that your bank account if frozen, you cannot take a cheque and it will have to be cash.

I doubt you'll hear from them again.
Bit of memory loss there - I've helped out
Make two - and freeze one!
Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #97 - April 10p May 5p June 25p July 5 Euro note and then some!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
skylight
Old 25-05-2009, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valli View Post
Bit of memory loss there - I've helped out
LOL!

Well, it was the memory loss that got me into this state in the first place!
# 13
jdfallon1978
Old 25-05-2009, 7:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

soolin -

Regarding 2-4-6 cheque clearance I was agreeing with the other posts. So YES I did read them. As only one other post had specifically mentioned this (another providing a link) and another saying something different I though it okay to do so - sorry if this upset you.
The 2-4-6 information is quite clear and easily found on most bank's websites. I am assuming perhaps wrongly that the seller is in the UK and the buyer, if they are going to pick it up, is also in the UK so therefore the 2-4-6 cheque clearance will apply.

I was not suggesting that I actually know what they meant if they had made a simple language error just that a language error was possible. I have come across plenty of buyer's on ebay that have got mixed up between different payment methods, although the majority of these have been overseas buyers or buyers who don't have english as a first language.
# 14
soolin
Old 25-05-2009, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfallon1978 View Post
soolin -

Regarding 2-4-6 cheque clearance I was agreeing with the other posts. So YES I did read them. As only one other post had specifically mentioned this (another providing a link) and another saying something different I though it okay to do so - sorry if this upset you.
The 2-4-6 information is quite clear and easily found on most bank's websites. I am assuming perhaps wrongly that the seller is in the UK and the buyer, if they are going to pick it up, is also in the UK so therefore the 2-4-6 cheque clearance will apply.

I was not suggesting that I actually know what they meant if they had made a simple language error just that a language error was possible. I have come across plenty of buyer's on ebay that have got mixed up between different payment methods, although the majority of these have been overseas buyers or buyers who don't have english as a first language.
I realise that you posted about the 2-4-6 scheme but you then went on to say "the exception being if they suspect you of commiting fraud. It is with my bank - I checked a while back" . That is of course not the case if the cheque falls within the 2-4-6 scheme as day 6 is when it clears definitely for fraud.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 15
chja
Old 25-05-2009, 8:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There is no such thing as a "certified cheque".

They may mean a cheque backed by a cheque guarantee card - if you are accepting that then you need to make sure that you compare the bank account details on the card to the cheque, as well as the signature, and that you personally write the guarantee number on the back. If it comes with the guarantee number already written on, then it could still be returned.

On the 2-4-6 scheme, the cheque is cleared on day 6- no exceptions for anything.
Closed Thread