Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 195
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 13th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    GM1880
    I've an odd one.

I took out 5 Student Loans from 1997 to 2002, and had payments coming out of my salary from 2005 to 2009, then also learnt that they sold some to two companies called Capquest and NCO Europe and so I ended up paying them for my Student Loans as well. Now out of nowhere I've had a call from Link/Thesis saying I owe them £1300 for a Student Loan, then when I queried it saying I'd paid back about £11k which is approximately 5 student loans worth having gone back all my payslips and bank accounts, they then sent an email saying £2700 was owed.

All very fishy. I cannot quite reconcile all the payments. Possibly I can speak to the SLC to ask which companies ended up being responsible for each of my loans, tot everything up to check if this is correct. But, either way, is this actually statute barred anyhow?

Thanks
    • gavinl
    • By gavinl 13th Nov 17, 5:26 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gavinl
    please help
    Hey, i have alot of Knowledge of how the student loans procedure works. If anyone needs any help, i can advise as much general info.
    Obviously i cant divulge into specifics due to Data Protection and the fact that i'd get fired, but anything i can help with, just let me know.
    Originally posted by slcworker
    my girlfriend today has received a letter from student loans asking for £6951 after a reassessment of a grant in 2010/2011... I need to know why a have they reassessed. How are they able to go back that far out of the blue. if this was anything else isn't 5 years back a max?
    also nothing changed from when she was assessed. there is no justification with letter. Its not a small amount she is a single mum and struggles to keep everything going as it is.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 16th Nov 17, 1:13 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    Your girlfriend will need to ring her funding body to ask for details of why her application was reassessed and how the figure was arrived at. I guess, as it's government funding, they can go back as far as needed to ensure all funds have been correctly paid, but the only people who can answer her questions will be SFE/SFNI/SFW/SAAS, whichever is applicable.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • PixPop
    • By PixPop 17th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PixPop
    Hi there, I had to withdraw from my Masters after one month. I had a loan and had received the first payment. Will I have to pay that back straight away or will it be taken the same way my undergraduate loan is?
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 17th Nov 17, 9:04 PM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Hi there, I had to withdraw from my Masters after one month. I had a loan and had received the first payment. Will I have to pay that back straight away or will it be taken the same way my undergraduate loan is?
    Originally posted by PixPop
    You're entitled to 1/365ths of your maximum amount for every day between 1st September and the date your provider tells Student Finance you've withdrawn. This is repayable at 6% of earnings over £21,000. The rest will need to be paid back now.
    • Clalala
    • By Clalala 21st Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Clalala
    Hi
    Do you know if itís correct a student loan is treated as income by Housing benefits?
    • _shel
    • By _shel 22nd Nov 17, 5:46 AM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    _shel
    Hi
    Do you know if itís correct a student loan is treated as income by Housing benefits?
    Originally posted by Clalala
    Yes itís counted as income, why shouldnít it be.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • erato
    • By erato 22nd Nov 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    erato
    Hiya...

I've got a bit of a strange situation. I live with my grandparents, who are retired, in London. They don't speak a whole lot of English. I am estranged from both parents.

Just want be sure what the procedure is in my case when applying for student finance.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 22nd Nov 17, 1:43 PM
    • 11,717 Posts
    • 7,937 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Hiya...

I've got a bit of a strange situation. I live with my grandparents, who are retired, in London. They don't speak a whole lot of English. I am estranged from both parents.

Just want be sure what the procedure is in my case when applying for student finance.
    Originally posted by erato
    Do you have documentary evidence that you are estranged? I suggest that you begin by establishing what you need to give Student Finance to confirm that you are estranged. If you are able to do this, you will be assessed as if your family had zero income and so will qualify for the maximum loan available.
    • southernbelle24
    • By southernbelle24 27th Nov 17, 8:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    southernbelle24
    Hi. Hoping you may be able to help. Iím studying an OU degree full time as well as running a small (barely earning) business and single mum to 2 children. Currently I get the usual benefits for a working single mum including some help towards housing costs as well as carers allowance as my income is low and one of my children is disabled. Is there any funding available that wonít affect the benefits I get to help towards study materials etc?
    • DaveKinggston
    • By DaveKinggston 29th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DaveKinggston
    Maybe do you know how I can try to get a student loan when I study abroad, in Spain.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,042Posts Today

7,655Users online

Martin's Twitter