Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 194
    • Peroxidation
    • By Peroxidation 15th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peroxidation
    Hello
    Are there any active Student Finance advisors around who have experience of the compelling personal reasons procedure. I would be very grateful for some advice as I am having serious difficulty getting any advice from the the standard advisors.

Thank you
    • lizziegrace81
    • By lizziegrace81 19th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lizziegrace81
    Hi, I had a full Student loan in 1999 for a 3 year degree equating to roughly £10k in borrowing. I have been in touch with the SLC today for an update as, due to address changes, I've not heard anything for a while. I have been told I now owe over £11k! More than originally! How can that be?! I don't understand how my interest could have accrued to take me over what I borrowed initially.

I started full-time employment in 2004 earning enough to make payments and although I have been on maternity leave recently I would have thought my balance would have decreased in that time?! I am currently paying £90 a month.

Would I have been paying interest still whilst on maternity leave? I think it is disgusting. As a student I was not made aware of the consequences of this loan. That may sound pathetic but it was billed to me as an interest free loan. Nobody at any point mentioned this would change after my course had ended.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 19th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Hi, I had a full Student loan in 1999 for a 3 year degree equating to roughly £10k in borrowing. I have been in touch with the SLC today for an update as, due to address changes, I've not heard anything for a while. I have been told I now owe over £11k! More than originally! How can that be?! I don't understand how my interest could have accrued to take me over what I borrowed initially.

I started full-time employment in 2004 earning enough to make payments and although I have been on maternity leave recently I would have thought my balance would have decreased in that time?! I am currently paying £90 a month.

Would I have been paying interest still whilst on maternity leave? I think it is disgusting. As a student I was not made aware of the consequences of this loan. That may sound pathetic but it was billed to me as an interest free loan. Nobody at any point mentioned this would change after my course had ended.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by lizziegrace81
    It's the best loan you'll ever get as there's no obligation to pay it back. The only obligation is to make a contribution of 9% of your income over the repayment threshold which is currently £17,775 and increases every April by inflation.

When you signed the loan agreement, you were confirming you'd read and understood all this.

The loan is interest free in real terms. That is, interest is only applied at the rate of inflation to maintain the loan's value in real terms and it accrues from the day you get it paid to you. However, since 2009, the Bank of England base rate has been below inflation so the loan has actually been reducing in value as the interest rate on pre-2012 loans is the lower of inflation (RPI) or the Bank of England base rate (0.25%) plus 1%. So with inflation being higher than the interest applied, inflation has been eroding its value.

If you borrowed £10,000 in 1999 and it's still £10,000 in 2017 then it's worth a heck of a lot less now than it was then. The average wage back then would've been not much more than £10,000. Now it's £26,500.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's written off at age 65 for you anyhow. So just see it as an extra bit of tax out of your income, not something you need to be worried about paying back.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 20th Jun 17, 12:56 AM
    • 37,665 Posts
    • 33,981 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Just to add to what Ed said, and to pick up on these bits:
    I don't understand how my interest could have accrued to take me over what I borrowed initially.
    Hate to break it to you, but you started to accrue interest on this loan on the day you took it out, so each year throughout your degree the total you owed was increasing, so that you always owed more than you'd originally borrowed. Nothing changed after your course ended.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 9th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    hi everyone,
    just after some advice as im concerned im going to overpay the final balance in the next couple of months.
    I checked the slc this morning to check my balance, and last years contributions still haven't come off my account .. as im down to the last £125ish, im worried my employer (the NHS) is going to carry on making deductions when the balance is actually cleared. When I spoke to payroll they said they receive communication from the slc when to stop taking the deduction, but as the loan balance doesn't seem to be updated until the end of august every year I don't want to carry on making payments and end up having the palaver of reclaiming (plus im a broke single parent, I cant afford it!!). I rang the slc a few years ago as I disputed the balance, and they say they don't update the balance until they receive communication from the employers!!
    can anyone shed any light on what happens?
    thank you!!! Sue
    suddenly found myself single ...

Debt @ 07/2016 = £17,750
    • gatters
    • By gatters 12th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gatters
    Sue,

If complete repayment is imminent, you'll need to phone SLC and perhaps manually inform them of your repayments made since their records were last updated.

SLC should then issue a stop notice to your employer, and you can pay the remaining balance either by a direct debit or a one off payment.

Good luck, it's a bit of a faff and check your payslips carefully as it took me months to stop repayment. I believe there's around £40m a year overpayments taken in error.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 24th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask questions about postgrad student loans? If not, just let me know and I'll repost in a new thread:

I am due to begin my MA with the OU in October and am going to apply for a postgrad student loan. The course is made up of 2 modules, I wanted to study one module in 2017/18, then take a break and begin the second module in 2019/20. Does anybody know if this is possible and how it works in terms of the student loan?

This is the second time I've attempted masters-level study. The first time I was part-way through my first module (different course) when I had to drop out due to personal reasons. I funded that myself so there were no implications, but this is part of the reason why I want to take a break in between modules if possible. However, just playing devils' advocate, what would happen if, for example, I complete the first module and then don't go on to study the second for whatever reason? This is not my intention, but I've never had a student loan before and wanted to find out what tends to happen in this sort of scenario.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original DFD

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 23/09/17 - £435 2017 365 day challenge £457 saved for emergency fund
    • Craftysue
    • By Craftysue 1st Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Craftysue
    Student finance want prove that i'm separated from my husband. I can't use council tax bill as i have my 22 year old student son living with me.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 1st Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 35,881 Posts
    • 151,091 Thanks
    silvercar
    Student finance want prove that i'm separated from my husband. I can't use council tax bill as i have my 22 year old student son living with me.
    Originally posted by Craftysue
    Does your husband have council tax proof that he is living elsewhere?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 1st Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 18,434 Posts
    • 14,147 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Originally posted by Craftysue
    What proof have they said they will accept?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin