Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 19th May 09, 9:31 AM
    • 9,541Posts
    • 6,944Thanks
    Crabman
    0 WOW
    US ($) Currency Thread 2
    • 19th May 09, 9:31 AM
    0 WOW
    US ($) Currency Thread 2 19th May 09 at 9:31 AM
    US Currency - Questions & Answers Thread 2

Please use this thread for all queries related to US Currency conversion, rates and the best time to buy.

The old thread can be found here: US Currency Thread 1

Useful links:

Question of the Week: When should I buy my foreign currency?

Travel Money Maximiser (find the best exchange rate to buy before you travel)

XE.com (real-time exchange rates)

Spending Overseas (Martin's article listing the best ways to spend abroad)

VISA exchange rate

Locate a VISA ATM

Locate a Mastercard ATM

Historical exchange rate graphs: 30 days, 90 days, 180 days

How to Search
    Click "Search This Thread" (just above this post and to the right) and enter your search terms - results will be shown as posts throughout the thread

What if I don't find the info?
    Try a general forum search - otherwise post your question on this thread and someone will do their best to help you out.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

Page 1
    • inspector monkfish
    • By inspector monkfish 19th May 09, 9:37 AM
    • 9,191 Posts
    • 10,639 Thanks
    inspector monkfish
    • 19th May 09, 9:37 AM
    • 19th May 09, 9:37 AM
    What was wrong with the old thread?

CPI & RPI just been released, slightly worse than expected it seems.

Markets still digesting info.
    Cable currently trading near todays high, around 1.5480
  • whatusername
    • 19th May 09, 9:38 AM
    • 19th May 09, 9:38 AM

CPI & RPI just been released, slightly worse than expected it seems.

Markets still digesting info.
    Cable currently trading near todays high, around 1.5480
    Originally posted by inspector monkfish
    Looks like they are trying to force us away matey, too much drivel i assume
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 19th May 09, 9:41 AM
    • 9,541 Posts
    • 6,944 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 19th May 09, 9:41 AM
    • 19th May 09, 9:41 AM
    When threads reach over 5000 posts they are closed and restarted as they put unnecessary strain on the servers.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• whatusername
    • 19th May 09, 9:54 AM
    • 19th May 09, 9:54 AM
    When threads reach over 5000 posts they are closed and restarted as they put unnecessary strain on the servers.
    Originally posted by Crabman
    No they don't. Where are you getting this info from. If a thread doesn't get deleted and just gets closed it uses the same bandwidth as a live one.

I've run a football forum and never ever encountered this issue, sounds like an excuse to me.
  • whatusername
    • 19th May 09, 9:56 AM
    • 19th May 09, 9:56 AM
    Over 5000 posts and still going?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=407386&page=273
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 19th May 09, 10:06 AM
    • 9,541 Posts
    • 6,944 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 19th May 09, 10:06 AM
    • 19th May 09, 10:06 AM
    No they don't.
    Originally posted by whatusername
    Yes they do.
    Where are you getting this info from.
    The MSE Forum Team.
    I've run a football forum
    Good for you. However MSE is unique in being one of the largest forums in the world hence has issues that smaller forums may not experience.

If you have further queries please post on the Forum Policy Board.

Any subsequent off-topic posts will be deleted.

• whatusername
    • 19th May 09, 10:25 AM
    • 19th May 09, 10:25 AM
    Yes they do.

The MSE Forum Team.

Good for you. However MSE is unique in being one of the largest forums in the world hence has issues that smaller forums may not experience.

If you have further queries please post on the Forum Policy Board.

Any subsequent off-topic posts will be deleted.
    Originally posted by Crabman
    Starting to rule with an iron fist now crabman?

Very sad i must say

To remain on topic good offers from TMS for forward buying, in excess of 1.53 for those traveling 31 days and more
  • DaMaNiAc82
    • 19th May 09, 11:48 AM
    • 19th May 09, 11:48 AM
    1.5505 trading
    • inspector monkfish
    • By inspector monkfish 19th May 09, 12:03 PM
    • 9,191 Posts
    • 10,639 Thanks
    inspector monkfish
    11:34 19May09 GBP/USD: 1.5500 Resistance Level Tested as Dow Futures Motor

[10:34 GBP/USD: 1.5500 Resistance Level Tested as Dow Futures Motor] London, May 19.

Cable has just tested the 1.5500 resistance level as the pound benefits from
    another Dow futures up-leg to +70 (they were down 7 at 7am BST). Pre-1.5500
    supply from a supra-national entity helped to cap GBP/USD at a five-month peak of
    1.5498 during the European morning (post-UK inflation data). 1.5445 was the
    ensuing pullback low. 1.5293-1.5356 was today"s Asian session range.

There was a lot of topside option strike buying during the European morning,
    with the catalyst being a fund"s estimated GBP 500mn purchase of 2-week 1.5700
    GBP calls/USD puts.
  • thatsfabulous
    Hi Guys, Great to see the dollar going up. I often check in on this thread however I must say some of it goes over my head lol. I look at the highstreet prices as i do understand that one. Thomas Cook/M&S where 1.45 last night and 1.47 today. Hopefully go up bit more before i travel later in the year. I'm hoping to get my dollars at 1.55+ (from the highstreet) Personal opinions- do you think this is a realistic rate? I'm hoping it is.
  • whatusername
    Hi Guys, Great to see the dollar going up. I often check in on this thread however I must say some of it goes over my head lol. I look at the highstreet prices as i do understand that one. Thomas Cook/M&S where 1.45 last night and 1.47 today. Hopefully go up bit more before i travel later in the year. I'm hoping to get my dollars at 1.55+ (from the highstreet) Personal opinions- do you think this is a realistic rate? I'm hoping it is.
    Originally posted by thatsfabulous
    Absolutely, the likes of CCE and TMS will give you it now if you pre order and pay in advance.
  • thatsfabulous
    Thanks I got my dollars at $1.92 last year so I will obviously notice the difference this year however compared to the euro rate- $1.55 is good. Fingers crossed!!
    • neilbond007
    • By neilbond007 19th May 09, 2:33 PM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    neilbond007
    Bondy must be kicking himself the way cable has rallied over the last week but it's a gamble i suppose.
    Yes and no.
    I'm going to spending half the cash i changed this week hopefully and i got over 1.50 so i'm pretty happy. if i'd of bought at the peak today i'd of got about another $250. That's the difference between a 42" and 37" TV for the bedroom

I'm disappointed this thread doesn't have a tagline to it. You know, like Die Hard 2 was - "Die hard 2: Die Harder"
    We could have "US Currency thread 2: No drivel"
    • neilbond007
    • By neilbond007 19th May 09, 2:35 PM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    neilbond007
    Originally posted by thatsfabulous
    I posted a link on the old thread that this week looked like it was going to be a rough rate. shows how much the "experts" on dailyfx know.
    The link that IM put on yesterday mentioned the hitting $1.73 this year. So I guess it is realistic!
  • whatusername
    I posted a link on the old thread that this week looked like it was going to be a rough rate. shows how much the "experts" on dailyfx know.
    The link that IM put on yesterday mentioned the hitting $1.73 this year. So I guess it is realistic!
    Originally posted by neilbond007
    1.73 would be excellent as i hope to go back to the states at the end of the year also.
    • Keith99
    • By Keith99 19th May 09, 3:48 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Keith99
    How about: US Currency thread 2 Dollars to the Pound
    Did you ever figure out why it jumped at 7.30 this morning?
    • inspector monkfish
    • By inspector monkfish 19th May 09, 3:55 PM
    • 9,191 Posts
    • 10,639 Thanks
    inspector monkfish
    Did you ever figure out why it jumped at 7.30 this morning?
    Originally posted by Keith99

more buyers than sellers
    • inspector monkfish
    • By inspector monkfish 19th May 09, 4:41 PM
    • 9,191 Posts
    • 10,639 Thanks
    inspector monkfish
    16:36 GBP Shines While EM Asia Rests

[15:35 GBP Shines While EM Asia Rests] New York, May 19.

Europe is in, EM Asia is out, and Swiss is out of the park. The stealth intervention by the SNB last week has done its job. Banks are recommending finding a new safe haven currency and custody accounts are dumping CHF in favor of an undervalued GBP. This is despite solid Nestle chocolate sales being and decent valuations in the Swiss banking group. Healthcare exposure may be the index"s undoing.

Thanks to rise in oil and bank stocks, GBP is hitting new highs against many
    of the Asian currencies. GBP/SGD will likely close at new 2009 highs today, GBP/THB will do the same, and GBP/KRW will try to catch up. GBP/JPY has closed over 150 only once this year. It looks like it will try to retake the 150 handle and head up to 152.80.
  • kefrif
    Guys, at top of last week I posted that we'd be at $1.55 by friday of last week. My mistake, it took 2 additional trading days.

YAAA-HOOOO!!!!!

Right then - $1.60 by the end of May. Who's in?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

914Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin