Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cfrog
    • By cfrog 13th May 09, 1:21 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    cfrog
    Carland PPI Reclaim
    • 13th May 09, 1:21 PM
    Carland PPI Reclaim 13th May 09 at 1:21 PM
    I've begun an attempt to reclaim the past 3 years of PPI my girlfriend had been paying out on her car she had bought from Carland @ Lakeside (Over £25 per month!)

I firstly contacted the credit company who stated in their reply that it was Carland who sold her the policy and that it was therefore them who was liable.

After some searching I found an address in Rochdale that matched up with her original paperwork which I tried although this was now called CarCraft. They hadn't got any record of her and later said they had taken over the premises 6 months after she had bought the car and couldn't help.
    I then found a second address that seemed to match with them in Chertsey. Again they said they were'nt responsible, this time offering an address in Birmingham for a company called Concept Automotive Services Ltd. The letter I received stated that Carland had ceased trading in 2006 and they only dealt with outstanding warranty issues etc.

This all leaves me at a dead end - I'm not sure who (if anyone) I should be pursuing?

Any suggestions or similar experiences would be appreciated....
Page 1
    • di3004
    • By di3004 13th May 09, 1:28 PM
    • 42,529 Posts
    • 56,679 Thanks
    di3004
    • 13th May 09, 1:28 PM
    • 13th May 09, 1:28 PM
    I've begun an attempt to reclaim the past 3 years of PPI my girlfriend had been paying out on her car she had bought from Carland @ Lakeside (Over £25 per month!)

I firstly contacted the credit company who stated in their reply that it was Carland who sold her the policy and that it was therefore them who was liable.

After some searching I found an address in Rochdale that matched up with her original paperwork which I tried although this was now called CarCraft. They hadn't got any record of her and later said they had taken over the premises 6 months after she had bought the car and couldn't help.
    I then found a second address that seemed to match with them in Chertsey. Again they said they were'nt responsible, this time offering an address in Birmingham for a company called Concept Automotive Services Ltd. The letter I received stated that Carland had ceased trading in 2006 and they only dealt with outstanding warranty issues etc.

This all leaves me at a dead end - I'm not sure who (if anyone) I should be pursuing?

Originally posted by cfrog

Oh dear, so your running round in circles with this then?

Sorry to hear this.

How long ago did your girlfriend take this out - what year? was it that of 3 years ago and is she still paying out for this?

If they stopped trading, wonder if the Financial Compensation Scheme (FSCS) have them listed, you could contact them by phone and ask them, otherwise whoever taken over them must have something, if this is still active.
    http://www.fscs.org.uk/contacts/
    The one and only "Dizzy Di"
  • petermb
    • 13th May 09, 4:10 PM
    • 13th May 09, 4:10 PM

Firstly, lenders are very keen to have you beleive that the dealer or broker sold you the policy. This is of course nonesense in most cases as it is usually the lender who provides the cover through a third party arrangement they have with an insurer.

Do you have a copy of the agreement?
    If so how much was borrowed?
    How much was the PPI? I take it the premium was added to the loan?

This may give an idea of what you can do.
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
    • cfrog
    • By cfrog 13th May 09, 6:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cfrog
    • 13th May 09, 6:08 PM
    • 13th May 09, 6:08 PM
    She bought the car in march 2006 - she still has just under a year to pay for the car but we cancelled the PPI last month when I realised she was paying it.. The credit was for £4100 and she will have paid back over 7300 by the time it paid off! This does include the PPI which has cost her £950 over the 3 years she was paying it!!

I'll have to get hold of the original agreement to see what further information I can get from that which might help
    • di3004
    • By di3004 13th May 09, 6:12 PM
    • 42,529 Posts
    • 56,679 Thanks
    di3004
    • 13th May 09, 6:12 PM
    • 13th May 09, 6:12 PM
    She bought the car in march 2006 - she still has just under a year to pay for the car but we cancelled the PPI last month when I realised she was paying it.. The credit was for £4100 and she will have paid back over 7300 by the time it paid off! This does include the PPI which has cost her £950 over the 3 years she was paying it!!

I'll have to get hold of the original agreement to see what further information I can get from that which might help

Hi there good luck with this.

If you do not have a copy of the agreement, you can write to request for this, but enclose a £1 postal order or cheque payment to cover this, they should supply this by 12 days.
    Post by recorded delivery.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di"
  • petermb
    • 14th May 09, 1:20 AM
    • 14th May 09, 1:20 AM

The options are to seek help from the FOS. This is a free service and will allow you to regain the money charged for the ppi and interest.

You could use a company to help you. Some of these will charge you a fee to introduce you to the free FOS service

You could use a company that will charge you to recover your ppi and interest.
    They will charge you anything from 15%-30% depending on who you use.

I would use the template letters on the site here and see how you get on. You can then use the FOS service if you do not get anywhere.
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • Chadmanfoo
    • 13th Nov 12, 8:57 PM
    • 13th Nov 12, 8:57 PM
    Hey CFrog

I know this is a very old post but I went through the same thing with Carland. I bought my car through Carland at Lakeside back in 2006 (about the same time as you) and was told that finance was only available on the condition that PPI was taken out since i was in a new job at the time.

I originally also complained to the lender which sent me on the same wild goose chase as you, also ending with Concept Automotive. I complained to them who sent me back a copy of the purchase agreement with the small print regarding PPI highlighted. I therefore contacted the FOS who have been looking into this for the past year.

Did you ever take your claim to the FOS? If so, what was the outcome?
  • familyman101
    • 25th Apr 14, 6:19 PM
    PPI Claim from 2002 @ carland
    • 25th Apr 14, 6:19 PM
    I'm currently in the process of making a PPI claim against carland (now concept automotives) and requested the original blackhorse credit agreement from Lloyds. The agreement shows that I signed up to a care pack for the tune of £769 spread over 42 months, although the ppi premium box was left blank. I'm adamant that this care pack was for a form of payment protection however concept automotives claim they themselves don't know what the care pack covered and neither do black horse.

Has anyone else had a similar credit agreement through carland that can confirm what their care pack represents, the person at carland is trying to fob me of that it was some kind of extended warranty?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 25th Apr 14, 11:16 PM
    • 19,053 Posts
    • 9,170 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 25th Apr 14, 11:16 PM
    • 25th Apr 14, 11:16 PM
    my argument is that regardless of how much time has elapsed they should still be able to access their historic records
    Originally posted by familyman101
    James, you are wasting your time pursuing this because, even if records are found, car dealers don't even have to consider complaints which pre-date regulation in January 2005.

Bumping up old open-ended threads from 2012 does not change this, I'm afraid.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 26th Apr 14, 2:42 AM
    • 7,254 Posts
    • 4,651 Thanks
    -taff
    Already answered on his duplicate thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4956115
    • Chazarina2017
    • By Chazarina2017 18th May 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chazarina2017
    Hi, hope I get a reply as it's been a long time ago you all spoke of this but what was the outcome? Did your girlfriend win ?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 12,708 Posts
    • 12,952 Thanks
    zx81
    It's been 8 years.

His girlfriend moved on and found someone else. They had 2 kids, but sadly divorced.

She now lives in the Isle of Man, where she makes a living as a children's entertainer and grows her own fruit and vegetables. She has a dog named Bingo.

That's as much as we know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,057Posts Today

9,026Users online

Martin's Twitter