Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > AC Nielsen/Fact Finders - Don't Bother! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
AC Nielsen/Fact Finders - Don't Bother!
Views: 26,015
# 1
lovethymini
Old 13-05-2009, 9:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default AC Nielsen/Fact Finders - Don't Bother!

Morning all

Having meticulously scanned all my shopping every time couple of days when I returned from the shops for the last five months I was more than disappointed to discover I'd only earned enough to get a glass vase (think Ikea as opposed to Lalique). Other gift choices were of similar value, such as a can opener which I found on Amazon for 17.

I was even more disappointed when it arrived last week, it wasn't even the one in the gift catalogue but one of seconds quality and a much cheaper design.

I'm currently waiting for Fact Finders to respond to my email, but just wanted to let others know that for the time and effort it's a pittance and you're better off avoiding this company - no wonder they're always recruiting

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lovethymini For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Ammie
Old 13-05-2009, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've been with them for 10 months and have 5200 points. I'm not expecting to get much with them but continue to scan because I have it now and may as well continue.

I was offered the chance to scan my shopping with Consumer Pulse but because I had AC Nielsen I didn't do it, doing that is tedious enough, maybe I should've gone with Consumer.

I hope you get the vase you sent off for, cheeky mares!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lovethymini
Old 13-05-2009, 10:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks Ammie.

I've worked out it equates to about a pound a week ... Definately not worth it for me,I was probably scanning for about an hour per week for that pound.

The vase cost 2150 points. I've closed my account and sent the scanner back.

The Following User Says Thank You to lovethymini For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
PrincessTaylor
Old 13-05-2009, 10:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I used to do them too but gave up when my phone started ringing at 1am every night. It was really tedious for the amount of reward, im with shop and scan now and it is really easy and worth far more. When i closed my AC account they took away my points! I had to argue with them to get it back. All i that i wanted that was affordable was a set of bathroom scales but 2 weeks later they told me they were out of stock so i ordered a silicone Jamie Oliver baking tray, it was nice but not worth months of labour at the end of each shopping trip.
Nicotine Free as of 17th December 06
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrincessTaylor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Ammie
Old 13-05-2009, 11:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTaylor View Post
I used to do them too but gave up when my phone started ringing at 1am every night. It was really tedious for the amount of reward, im with shop and scan now and it is really easy and worth far more. When i closed my AC account they took away my points! I had to argue with them to get it back. All i that i wanted that was affordable was a set of bathroom scales but 2 weeks later they told me they were out of stock so i ordered a silicone Jamie Oliver baking tray, it was nice but not worth months of labour at the end of each shopping trip.
Is shop and scan the Consumer Pulse one? If so do I have to wait to get invited again?

This thread has helped me to make up my mind and send my scanner back, besides the scanner is so ugly.I'm eyeing a stainless steel retro toaster so need 1350 more points :rolleyes: I'm eyeing up the Premier Double Size Quilt and the pair of pillows, 5200 points exactly. I better order them before I quit.
# 6
chuckley
Old 13-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

i see it as sumtim for nothin. i dont mind it as i dont scan all shopping.

pointless when u earn a set amount a week regardless of the amount of items scanned.
*~* Valued Opinions - 40; Quidco - 92.77; Lightspeed Panel - 40; My Survey - 20; Consumer Pulse - 190; Toluna - 44; Ciao - 42.47; GfK - 50; Pigsback - 20; ABAi - 10; Panelbase - 10.45; Grassroots - 50 *~* Blue Text = Account now closed

*~*2010 XMAS fund - 70 *~*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuckley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
tee pee
Old 13-09-2009, 1:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I am a scanner with factfinders and I want to quit but just trying to do something with my points first.
# 8
KILL BILL
Old 13-09-2009, 3:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i was with factfinders/ac nielsen for about 8 months and it was very tedious - scanning the barcode and then inputting how many brough etc etc etc and the number of times you had to scan bar codes out of the book for fruit and veg and also meat as well as input was iot organic , fresh or pre pack ect etc

i saved enough for a food steamer and then i quit

now with shop and scan which pays 1500 point a week plus also with food onthe go which pays 5000 points a week so much better that you can convert points to shop at amazon, argos and other high street stores
The Following User Says Thank You to KILL BILL For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
parahandy
Old 13-09-2009, 4:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They have Bosch Cordless Secateurs available just now for 8900 points. Sells for 68 in Argos.
Everybody dies, but not everyone truly lives
# 10
reeree
Old 14-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethymini View Post
Thanks Ammie.

I've worked out it equates to about a pound a week ... Definately not worth it for me,I was probably scanning for about an hour per week for that pound.

The vase cost 2150 points. I've closed my account and sent the scanner back.
were you using the old type scanner, theyve sent me a new one, much smaller and quicker, i can scan all my shopping in under 10 minutes now as opposed to a good half hour,

Last edited by reeree; 14-09-2009 at 1:55 PM.
# 11
full-time-mum
Old 28-10-2009, 2:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I agree that this is too much effort for too little reward.

I was saving up for a veg steamer before dropping out but now I've got enough points, its nowhere to be seen.

They can't get very accurate results as I can't be the only one who can't be bothered to scan every single item that I buy because it doesn't pay well enough.

They also asked us to fill in a very personal questionnaire - for the whole family - which I just haven't bothered with. Names, DOB, height, weight, dress size....

I don't agree that it is money for nothing. Afraid I too have to advise you all to steer clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to full-time-mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
bex2002
Old 28-10-2009, 2:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i was with them but the scanner never worked ( connected through to them) after calling several times ( lost count in the end) was finally told that i needed to turn off my internet overnight for it to work. gave up after that as we need the internet 24/7.
# 13
Lickul miss
Old 01-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi all just joined Nielsen, probs should have read this thread 1st lol, how do i join shopandscan instead? thanks xx
♫♫♫"Happy Happy Joy Joy! Happy Happy Joy! Happy Happy Joy Joy! Happy Happy Joy!"♫♫♫
# 14
elliethecat
Old 01-01-2010, 1:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have been scanning for a couple of years now. I don't find it particularly time consuming and I have never had a problem with it. By scanning I now have a lovely food processor, an electric can opener, some really good pillows and have almost accrued enough points for the perfume I am coveting. I am happy with it, my scanner sits quietly in its corner and I consider it virtually money for nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to elliethecat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
sleepyfrog
Old 03-01-2010, 2:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Worth it for me!

I've been with Fact Finders for about 10 years - in that time I've had pillows (4 sets), duvets (2), bed throw, coffee table, pans (2 sets), 2 kettles, various kitchen items, scales, baby monitor, carry harness, various toys and other bits - as well as winning a Skoda Fabia car in 2005 from their monthly prize draws.

So it depends on what you consider worth it - I do get fed up sometimes doing it, but then again I would never have had a new car in my life. And while the gifts are more 'expensive' than buying them, the point is that I've never had to - and I've always found the quality excellent.

The last thing I ordered was a baby monitor - but the one in the catalogue was no longer available so they sent me a much better and more expensive alternative for the same points.

Overall I'm happy to continue.

Update: this post reminded me I haven't redeemed my points for a while, so have just ordered a very nice laptop bag and a cd player for my daughter's room. OK - it took a about 18 months to build up the points but would still have cost me 85 if ordering from the cheapest online stores. I needed a laptop bag, and if I had to buy one I would have just plumped for the cheapest possible - whereas now I will have a nice Timberland one!

Last edited by sleepyfrog; 03-01-2010 at 3:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepyfrog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
jules888
Old 03-01-2010, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This thread brought memories back from years ago when i did something similar.So glad when i stopped doing it!Awful having to scan everything i bought and box thing making a noise every night.I got one cheap thing with the points i had at the end.Would never do anything like it again.Much prefer other things now!
# 17
kinkladze
Old 03-01-2010, 3:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I too am getting a bit fed up of AC Neilsen and was thinking of quitting - just waiting for a decent amount of points to cash out for a decent item. the time you spend doing it and the time it takes to get the poins just doesn't seem worth it (unless you are sleepyfrog)

Can someone let me know how to join Shop & Scan or others - any invites would be appreciated.

Cheers.
# 18
joe13
Old 03-01-2010, 9:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Am unable to download this week - keep getting failure message. Anyone else have problems sending.
thanks
# 19
vyle
Old 19-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My scanner arrived last week. I haven't even used it and I'm sending it back. The base unit makes this unholy buzzing sound, it kills my internet connection and causes really bad interference on the line. Seeing as I NEED the internet, it's not worth it.
# 20
Lickul miss
Old 23-02-2010, 9:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well my scanner never arrived so saved me a job of having to send it back do i need an invite to the shop&scan? could some1 please send me an invite thanks x x x
♫♫♫"Happy Happy Joy Joy! Happy Happy Joy! Happy Happy Joy Joy! Happy Happy Joy!"♫♫♫