Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > dividing a bedroom into 2, is it a good idea (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
dividing a bedroom into 2, is it a good idea
Closed Thread
Views: 6,011
# 1
kurjam
Old 11-05-2009, 1:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default dividing a bedroom into 2, is it a good idea

we need extra room, we have a large double bedroom with 2 windows, can we just put a dividing wall down the middle of the room to make it 2 bedrooms, would we need planning permission etc ??

what about a loft conversion do yuo need planning permisision for one of them ??

another throught was a conservatory do you need planning permission for one of these ?

we are just thinking about the best way to go !!
thank you

Last edited by kurjam; 11-05-2009 at 1:47 PM.
# 2
latecomer
Old 11-05-2009, 1:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I dont think you would need planning permission to split an existing room into two and then new planning regulations have made loft conversions a lot simpler too. Best thing to do is phone your local planning department and ask. I found our local one very helpful even with a general enquiry.
The Following User Says Thank You to latecomer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
SailorSam
Old 11-05-2009, 2:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

When we moved in here, some time in the past someone had split a bedroom into two. It was a simple partition wall, and they had added an extra door on the landing, if you looked carefully you could see the different acratraive (sorry spl) The origional was probably about 70 yrs old, but still it was a good job.
WE did'nt need the extra so took away the stud wall but decided as the door was there, to put up another wall so now have a decent sized bedroom, and a tiny junk room , may do this intoa computer room or something at some time in the future, But we did'nt need any planning oermission
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

# 4
Doozergirl
Old 11-05-2009, 2:19 PM

You wouldn't need planning permission for any of those unless you're in a listed building or a conservation area.

You would need Building Control approval for the loft conversion though.
Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
# 5
macman
Old 11-05-2009, 2:45 PM

To divide a room you don't need planning permission or building control either, whether you're in a conservation area or not. It's not a structural job, it's just a stud wall. But bear in mind that you need to create a doorway into the new room and that may involve cutting into a structural wall. Also you will have to modify your lighting circuits and central heating maybe to bring the services into the new room. So it's not quite as straightforward as it might seem.
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 6
planning_officer
Old 13-05-2009, 1:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As others have said, the dividing of the room and the loft conversion itself do not require planning permission. If you intending to construct any dormer windows in the roof, they may require permission - it depends where you live (in brief, if they're on the front they will require permission and if you live in a conservation area, AONB or National Park, they will require permission on the rear too). The conservatory will probably benefit from permitted development rights, thus not requiring a planning application - however it depends where you live and what type of house it is - is it detached, semi or terrace?
Closed Thread