Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > How much Money does the law say we need to live o... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much Money does the law say we need to live on?
Closed Thread
Views: 26,337
# 1
kidwesjnr
Old 08-05-2009, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default How much Money does the law say we need to live on?

Hi all

We've had a letter stating that we are receiving more money than the law states we need to live on? :confused: Does anyone know how much this is as we are struggling to believe that we are!!!

Many thanks x
# 2
healy
Old 08-05-2009, 4:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It depends on a persons circumstances for example how many people it relates to, whether they have disabilities etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
jaynemaria
Old 08-05-2009, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

we had that on my husbands jobseekers allowance claim. 64.30 and states you have more money than the law says you need to live on, but we cant find out either what they actually say in our case a family of three need to live on.
Hope you find the answers
# 4
Mr Falling Star
Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 PM

The amount the law says you need to live on is generally the Income support rates so for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids I would say its...

90.10 for you and your partner
45.58 x 3 for the kids = 136.74
16.25 family premium

making a total of 243.09

Remember thats the total figure that your household needs to live on and thus includes any Child benefit you get. Its very complicated and I'm cream crackered so those figures may not be totally accurate. If there are disabilities in the family you would get more
The World come on.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr Falling Star For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
hippy-chicy
Old 08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes thats more or less correct.

I think the figures given might be slightly out, as i think the couple rate is 105 or something like that now, the dependant allowance is approx 52. Dont have my list to hand so can't confirm exactly. But it gives you an idea.

Edit :

Just checked and it is

100.95 for a couple over 18
56.11 per dependant child
17.30 family premium

There are more premiums if you or anyone in your family unit are disabled dependent on the level of DLA they receive/ and or other qualifying benefits etc.

Last edited by hippy-chicy; 08-05-2009 at 10:58 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hippy-chicy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jaks111
Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hello can i ask what family premium is and who gets it

thank u
# 7
mrscb
Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Family premium is paid with IS/JSA if you have partner and dependant children,there is also a lone parent premium.
Am thinking of a new one
# 8
hippy-chicy
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The lone parent premium is exactly the same as the single rate for over and under 25's. e.g 64.30 and 50.95. There is no longer a lone parent family premium in its own right. It is now just the family premium/ baby premium. Obviously the people who have had the lone parent family/baby premium continuiously keep it till they have a break - so some people will still receive this. Not sure when this was removed??

But saying that this is for HB/CTB and i am assuming that it is the same so i could be wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to hippy-chicy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
seven-day-weekend
Old 09-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Falling Star View Post
The amount the law says you need to live on is generally the Income support rates so for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids I would say its...

90.10 for you and your partner
45.58 x 3 for the kids = 136.74
16.25 family premium

making a total of 243.09

Remember thats the total figure that your household needs to live on and thus includes any Child benefit you get. Its very complicated and I'm cream crackered so those figures may not be totally accurate. If there are disabilities in the family you would get more
If you wer on Income Support, you would also get all your Council tax paid and help with rent if you were renting, and some of your mortgage interest after thirteen weeks, so it is considerably more than that.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
deb0020
Old 09-05-2009, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Family premium and dependants allowance are no longer paid with JSA as the money for children comes from tax credits these days.
100.95 is the couple rate

see
http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/...15272.xml.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deb0020 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
kidwesjnr
Old 09-05-2009, 2:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks everyone - another quick question... do they still class you as working even if you are on maternity leave and only getting SMP? My partner is self employed and been off sick since end of Jan. We have a 7mth old daughter and are trying our hardest to live just off my SMP - and they STILL say we are getting more than the law says we need to live on!! Are they right?

Hope you can help x
# 12
deb0020
Old 22-05-2009, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwesjnr View Post
Thanks everyone - another quick question... do they still class you as working even if you are on maternity leave and only getting SMP? My partner is self employed and been off sick since end of Jan. We have a 7mth old daughter and are trying our hardest to live just off my SMP - and they STILL say we are getting more than the law says we need to live on!! Are they right?

Hope you can help x

I assume that you have received a letter from the DWP giving the details.

This should list what they say you need to live on which will be 100.95 for a couple less the money you have coming in. They will take off SMP, any maternity pay from your employers and working tax credits. They will ignore child benefit and child tax credits.
The Following User Says Thank You to deb0020 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
wevans2011
Old 05-04-2011, 3:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default entitlement whilst attending new deal trainging

My ftiend has asked me out of desperation to ask this question. He is in reciept of jobseekers allowance of 64 per week. However he has been told he must attend a trainging course for the next four weeks with his benefit being knocked down to half this whilst on the course. He lives ion a private bedsit and has to pay his ladnlord 30 per fortnight for his gas, electric and water thus leaving nothing to live on, meaning no money for food etc. Can he getv any help whilst on this course as he is desperately worried that he may be evicted from his home yet valone not being able to eat etc.
Kind regards
# 14
RAS
Old 05-04-2011, 3:32 PM

Hi

Please start a new thread.

Ansd it the mean-time check out the Trussel Trust as they run food banks. Your friend may also be entitled to the cost of his fares to this course?
The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
# 15
wevans2011
Old 05-04-2011, 3:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thank you, i'm new to this site excuse me for any mistakes
regards
W
# 16
kerryneedawind
Old 05-11-2012, 3:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

just made a new claim for me and my 3 kids as well and cant get nothing from no were, went to social services there brought some shopping for me and kids and then they said it was abount 80 that was wensaday (halloween) so now we have ran out and they will not help me. What do i do now?
# 17
HappyMJ
Old 05-11-2012, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryneedawind View Post
just made a new claim for me and my 3 kids as well and cant get nothing from no were, went to social services there brought some shopping for me and kids and then they said it was abount 80 that was wensaday (halloween) so now we have ran out and they will not help me. What do i do now?
Start a new thread....but make sure you get everything you are entitled to. You need to apply seperately to the DWP for income support or job seekers allowance and to the HMRC for child benefit and tax credits and to your local council for housing and council tax benefit. You may be entitled to other benefits but they are the basic ones.
# 18
paddedjohn
Old 05-11-2012, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryneedawind View Post

A similar thread on here with a single mother and 3 kids suggests she/you will be entitled to 284 per week plus rent and council tax so you will probably be quids in when its all sorted out. Click on the link below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4266859
Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.

Last edited by paddedjohn; 05-11-2012 at 8:57 PM.
Closed Thread