Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • mountainlioness
    • 6th May 09, 12:11 PM
    • 6th May 09, 12:11 PM
    Assume you're applying for a job? I do quite a bit of recruiting - I'd type and print (at library maybe if you don't have a printer?) or if you must handwrite, on plain with plenty of space. Lined looks a little student-y rather than professional...
    MFW Challenge member no. 96 - on hold! :rolleyes:
    Girl Cub due 14th September
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 6th May 09, 12:22 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    • 6th May 09, 12:22 PM
    • 6th May 09, 12:22 PM
    Never, ever write any letters on lined paper. It makes you look illiterate.

Lined paper is for students.

If you are worried about not keeping lines straight on hand written letters then use the guide stuff that has lines and goes under plain paper.

Anything formal looks better printed if possible.

Oystercatcher
  • prettypoppyknickers
    • 6th May 09, 12:26 PM
    • 6th May 09, 12:26 PM
    thanks for the advice i thought plain paper, it has been staring me in the face now for a hour but just had to ask you wise people.

they all state hand written cover letter with cv (not exactly like that but you know what i mean. )
  • Reds-on-Sea
    • 6th May 09, 1:24 PM
    • 6th May 09, 1:24 PM
    put some lined paper underneath your plain sheet though so that your handwriting doesn't go all wonky! )
    • SandC
    • By SandC 6th May 09, 3:27 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 5,425 Thanks
    SandC
    • 6th May 09, 3:27 PM
    • 6th May 09, 3:27 PM
    Writing pads come with a bold lined sheet for inserting under your plain paper as a guide. Most of us would otherwise have hideously slanting writing that we don't realise we're doing until we've done it!
    • maman
    • By maman 7th May 09, 3:38 PM
    • 13,481 Posts
    • 79,775 Thanks
    maman
    • 7th May 09, 3:38 PM
    • 7th May 09, 3:38 PM
    Writing pads come with a bold lined sheet for inserting under your plain paper as a guide. Most of us would otherwise have hideously slanting writing that we don't realise we're doing until we've done it!
    Originally posted by SandC
    Apologies if it isn't what you meant but if you mean those little writing pads (Basildon Bond type) I would advise against that for covering letter. I think current way is a sheet of A4.
  • badkitti
    • 7th May 09, 4:36 PM
    • 7th May 09, 4:36 PM
    I'd type it every time if at all possible - can you get a friend to help you if its an issue. I don't think many people accept handwritten cover letters these days, although that may not be the case everywhere.
  • Errata
    • 7th May 09, 4:43 PM
    • 7th May 09, 4:43 PM
    It needs to be handwritten so you can demonstrate you can write, know how to lay out a letter and keep the lines straight.
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
    • foreign correspondent
    • By foreign correspondent 7th May 09, 4:53 PM
    • 9,034 Posts
    • 19,091 Thanks
    foreign correspondent
    thanks for the advice i thought plain paper, it has been staring me in the face now for a hour but just had to ask you wise people.

they all state hand written cover letter with cv (not exactly like that but you know what i mean. )
    Originally posted by prettypoppyknickers
    hmm, I wonder if that is for handwriting analysis purposes...

http://careers.guardian.co.uk/handwriting-analysis
    - almost a legend -
    FC, you are fast becoming the Ted Hutchinson of the pet forums
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,217Posts Today

6,770Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Morning. I'm on way to @itvthismorning to talk energy - my aim to persuade those who haven't checked if they're overpaying to give it a go.

• RT @amy_wright: It's true what @MartinSLewis says, it's easy to switch bank accounts! 2 new ones opened this evening with 2 new banks; coul?

• RT @reid6peter: @MartinSLewis thank you for keeping me in the loop. Waffle of a reply from Jo Johnson MP par for the course.

• Follow Martin