Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Aqua Card 'approved' letter (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Aqua Card 'approved' letter
Closed Thread
Views: 2,548
# 1
lost-me-marbles
Old 05-05-2009, 7:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Aqua Card 'approved' letter

OK you experts out there, I may be thick or something, but I'm confused.

I've had money problems recently mainly due to cash flow shortage being self employed.

The upshot of that has meant Ive lost my overdraft facililty with my bank - HSBC. Consequently also lost the use of by Business Mastercard which was not a credit card persay, but a charge card with the balance being repaid in full by DD each month.

I've been in default with Barclaycard recently too.

So I'm coming to terms with living with the minimum credit.

No overdraft, No credit card and my current acount with Nationwide is used to take cash out, pay bills by DD etc.

I looked at applying online for a Vanquis card just as a fall back option and also to buy things securely rather than with cash. Plus it had the advantage of helping re-establish my credit worthyness in some way.

I applied online for one and got a decline letter 10 days ago.

Oh well never mind.

I did look at the Aqua card and I think I went online but do not recall actually applying for one and I have no emails to that effect.

So I was rather surprised to get a letter today saying "your Aqua Mastercard is ready for you - apply today" and "we have assessed the information you sent us (did I ?) nad we've approved your application"

Gentlemen - is this genuine?

Does this mean I'm approved?

I really really dont remember completing anything, so would they have been passed my details by Vanquis maybe.

See - up top I said I was confused.

All I want really is for someone to confirm this looks like what it appears to be.

Thanks
# 2
victor-meldrew
Old 05-05-2009, 8:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost-me-marbles View Post

I've had money problems recently mainly due to cash flow shortage being self employed.

The upshot of that has meant Ive lost my overdraft facililty with my bank - HSBC. Consequently also lost the use of by Business Mastercard which was not a credit card persay, but a charge card with the balance being repaid in full by DD each month.

No overdraft, No credit card and my current acount with Nationwide is used to take cash out, pay bills by DD etc.

I looked at applying online for a Vanquis card just as a fall back option and also to buy things securely rather than with cash. Plus it had the advantage of helping re-establish my credit worthyness in some way.

Oh well never mind.

I did look at the Aqua card and I think I went online but do not recall actually applying for one and I have no emails to that effect.

So I was rather surprised to get a letter today saying "your Aqua Mastercard is ready for you - apply today" and "we have assessed the information you sent us (did I ?) nad we've approved your application"

I really really dont remember completing anything, so would they have been passed my details by Vanquis maybe.

All I want really is for someone to confirm this looks like what it appears to be.

Thanks
aqua are part of halifax/ bos.they may have generated it
# 3
b3nton
Old 05-05-2009, 8:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This sound like BS to me, I'm sure I've had the same one
# 4
lost-me-marbles
Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Well I guess I'll have to don my sceptics hat and reply to this 'application' and see what happens.

If I expect nothing I'll not be too disappointed
# 5
wigglebeena
Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

So you think it's phoney but you're going to reply to it? What if they write back asking for confidential info? Are you sure the site you went to originally was legit anyway?

Surely it would be best to go into your local branch of Barclays, ask them to locate a legit phone number and check it out that way.

p.s.: ""your Aqua Mastercard is ready for you - apply today" and "we have assessed the information you sent us (did I ?) nad we've approved your application"

So they're inviting you to apply, yet have telepathically already approved the application you've not yet submitted?

You seem like a very trusting person. I'm with B3nton - I call BS.
# 6
wigglebeena
Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-meldrew View Post
aqua are part of halifax/ bos.they may have generated it
Or them, even.
# 7
victor-meldrew
Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

look aqua up online and phone them.see if the number on the app matches etc.its not difficult.
# 8
hack2009
Old 06-05-2009, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost-me-marbles View Post

Oh well never mind.

Thanks
I had exactly the same letter and yes it was genuine. I Will post a copy of mine now in a minute to see if it helps.
# 9
hack2009
Old 06-05-2009, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

# 10
Innocent_Guy
Old 06-05-2009, 4:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Is that not when you have applied online? My OH got that when she applied
Bank Accounts - Barlcays Premier[/B] - 1000 o/d, HSBC - 200 o/d- First Direct - 500
Credit Cards - [B]Barclaycard 2000 - Silver Card 1300 - Flybe 7500 - HSBC 1000 - First Direct 2500 First Direct Gold 3000
6 credit accounts closed in 2010!

Official SOS Club number 001 - Dry until 01.07.10
# 11
hack2009
Old 06-05-2009, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocent_Guy View Post
Is that not when you have applied online? My OH got that when she applied
Yeah, I applied online and then they sent and asked for some ID. I then got this letter a few days later with the credit agreement. Sent it back and card came a few days later.
Closed Thread