Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > Claire's accessories earrings (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Claire's accessories earrings
Closed Thread
Views: 5,119
# 1
mookie
Old 05-05-2009, 7:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Claire's accessories earrings

I went to a store today and bought my just under 2 year old daughter a pair of earrings, they were the type they sell for piercing which I understand are usually made from stainless steel. On payment they were very expensive and when queried the sales assistant told me they are 9ct gold, I asked if they were white gold seeing as they are silver coloured and she stated they are. My receipt says 9ct gold RHP which I guess would stand for Rhodium plated.

When I went to put them on my daughter this evening the actual post is really sharp like a pin, even with the backs on they still poke out slightly and I imagine they would be painful to wear when sleeping, so I called the store and was told as they are piercing ones they will be sharper, the pair she currently has are piercing ones and feel quite rounded at the ends so they agreed they might be faulty and to return them to be looked at.

I had a look at the hallmark on the earrings and the website for the company that makes them I think they are as I initially suspected made from surgical steel!

What should I do? If this is the case they are available online for a lot less money and my receipt states they are 9ct gold I was hoping to exchange them for another pair but am not prepared to pay gold prices for surgical steel. Would i be best to go to a jewellers first to confirm what they are made of before heading to the store and what do I do if the staff are unhelpful?

Any advice appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mookie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Scaredy Cat
Old 05-05-2009, 8:04 PM

Maybe you should ring Trading Standards if you think the earrings have been misrepresented. I don't know much about this kind of thing, but I would think their advice would be useful when going back to the shop, and they might well suggest you get the earrings evaluated as proof that they are not what the shop claimed they were - but I don't know if a jeweller would do this for free (somehow I doubt it).

Sorry I can't help, but I thought it was worth posting just to suggest you contact Trading Standards (I think they are called Consumer Direct these days).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scaredy Cat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
pulliptears
Old 05-05-2009, 8:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

NEVER buy earrings from Claire's for a child of 2. The stuff they sell is generally crap fashion accessories and not suitable for long term use, especially in a child so little.

Go to a reputable piercer and get some half decent, shorter post studs for her.

To be honest, I think you are brave, because the scrapes and tumbles kids of that age get into ripping out earrings is a very real risk.
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons. Sometimes we just snuggle
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pulliptears For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mookie
Old 05-05-2009, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulliptears View Post
NEVER buy earrings from Claire's for a child of 2. The stuff they sell is generally crap fashion accessories and not suitable for long term use, especially in a child so little.

Go to a reputable piercer and get some half decent, shorter post studs for her.

To be honest, I think you are brave, because the scrapes and tumbles kids of that age get into ripping out earrings is a very real risk.
I would usually agree with their stuff being cheap tat except these are not the general fashion type earrings, they are the standard studex brand which are what all piercing stores sell wherever I bought them they usually only offer this or the Caflon brand.

She's had her ears pierced since very young I didnt go to Claire's either they were done by a lady with several years experience (she pierced my friends ears as a baby so at least 25 years), I know some people do not agree with the choice of ear piercing so young but thats not at debate.

I just feel slightly annoyed that regardless of if the earrings are faulty if they are miss selling them as gold (and I really dont think they are), there is the allergy issue for some as well as the over pricing issue if they are not gold.

I have to go to a local independent jewellers to pick up an 18th pressie for my niece I'm sure they wont mind taking a look to confirm for me.

Last edited by mookie; 05-05-2009 at 8:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mookie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
pulliptears
Old 05-05-2009, 9:03 PM

Im not judging mookie. Not my place to.

The problem is that studs are so much longer they will stick in the skin behind the ear. My DD has bought from there before and had the same problem (she's 11 now but would have been 8 or 9 at the time)

You can buy shorter post studs which would probably be more comfortable for her.

But yes, I agree you should get a refund as its very misleading.
The Following User Says Thank You to pulliptears For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
pinkshoes
Old 06-05-2009, 9:30 AM

I had my ears pierced several times at Claire's Accessories, and the ones they use for piercing DO have a really sharp point on them. Definitely not comfortable for sleeping in!

Just take them back, show them the marking stating it's surgical steel, yet your receipt states it's gold, then ask for a refund.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
WolfSong2000
Old 06-05-2009, 9:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

TBH, I'd be very surprised if the sales assistant in Claire's could actually confirm that it was 9ct gold...as far as I'm aware they're not trained jewelers, and Claire's itself basically just sells cheap (or maybe not so) fashion accessories.

I'd also be very surprised if they were selling *actual* 9ct gold earrings...I'd suspect they'd more likely be gold plated or rolled gold rather than totally, 100% gold. Usually if it's actually gold there will be a hallmark somewhere, but not sure with earrings...
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfSong2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
pulliptears
Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSong2000 View Post
TBH, I'd be very surprised if the sales assistant in Claire's could actually confirm that it was 9ct gold...as far as I'm aware they're not trained jewelers, and Claire's itself basically just sells cheap (or maybe not so) fashion accessories.

I'd also be very surprised if they were selling *actual* 9ct gold earrings...I'd suspect they'd more likely be gold plated or rolled gold rather than totally, 100% gold. Usually if it's actually gold there will be a hallmark somewhere, but not sure with earrings...
I only bought earrings from Claire's once and the resulting mess my ear was left in taught me not to buy them again lol I also made the mistake once of buying nose studs from there, again, very poor quality that really irritates a piercing.

The sharp points to the studs are to enable them to pierce the skin quicker and less painfully when fired from the gun, but of course it makes them very sharp at the back.

OP, have you considered very small gold sleepers? They would need to be quite snug fitting to the ear so your DD doesnt catch them, but they are a good solution.
# 9
mookie
Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Thanks for all your replies, I have called the manufacturer who have said they make this design in 14ct gold and stainless steel, I have googled 14ct instead of 9ct and found the same ones, so they may well be white gold afterall but wrongly sold as 9ct. And probably why I could only find them online in stainless steel!

I am going to confirm this with the jeweller.. If they are gold then my husband thinks they will be ok if he files the points lightly as I think i will have a battle on my hands trying to refund them just because they are sharp, her other earrings are sharp but the way the back sits it kind of protects the point better than these do if that makes sense. The manufacturer basically said they are sharp and they pierce young childrens ears all the time so not interested.

I will post back later if I get them sorted. I have to say I am surprised that Claires sell white gold...my mum even said oh dont be so stupid they dont sell gold. lol

Pulliptears, yes I think sleepers are lovely but she never touches her studs I wonder if changing the style may draw attention to them and she'll start fiddling with them.

Last edited by mookie; 06-05-2009 at 12:20 PM.
# 10
NVRAM
Old 06-05-2009, 2:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Definatley sound misrepresented and not what you bought, take em back.

OT: earrings for a <2yr old?
Shoudln't that be the childs decision if/when rather than being made to have them.
just my tuppence, feel theres absolutley no reason whatsoever to do this to such a young child and yes I have piercings before anyone picks up on this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NVRAM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
dmg24
Old 06-05-2009, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRAM View Post
OT: earrings for a <2yr old?
Shoudln't that be the childs decision if/when rather than being made to have them.
just my tuppence, feel theres absolutley no reason whatsoever to do this to such a young child and yes I have piercings before anyone picks up on this.
I wholly agree. Only chavs and the completely misguided would make a child so young have a piercing. What next - a tongue stud? :rolleyes:
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
missymugwump
Old 06-05-2009, 4:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What is there left for kids these days
What happened to them discovering things as teenagers or young adults who can make informed choices
No wonder kids are jaded
I think it disgusting
If she didnt have them pierced the problem would not arise !
What is she has an infection at some point ? it happens

What if she or someone else catches an earing whilst playing & rips her lobe ? it happens
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to missymugwump For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
mookie
Old 06-05-2009, 5:30 PM

I find it disgusting that people can thank a member for calling me a chav and misguided, we are all entitled to an opinion but really it is not necessary to resort to judging somebody just because you do not agree with their decisions or choices, I dare say I could question others parenting skills and judge other aspects of your lives but really its none of my business. I am certainly not a chav but even if I was that would be none of your business either.

I already stated earlier that I am not debating the rights or wrongs of something I already know some people do not agree with, so your personal opinions are not necessary.

Not that I need to explain myself to any of you, I thought long and carefully about piercing my daughters ears, sought advice from my gp and health visitor about the safety and the best time to have them done. My daughter wears hearing aids, as far as I'm concerned they are just another accessory that she can choose for her pretty ears they do not affect any of your lives and I am sure none of you will lose any sleep because of it, all the girls in my family have their ears pierced and I can remember bugging my mum for years to have mine done so i really cannot see the problem.

It amazes me how many people on this this forum voice an opinion with no respect or tone that respects a persons feelings or choices.

I have resolved the issue so this thread as far as I'm concerned can move down the line for someone else to seek advice or insults from other members waiting to pounce just because they disagree.
# 14
missymugwump
Old 06-05-2009, 6:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you had this done somewhere proff you should know that gold is not the best metal to use, as many people have allergic reactions to it.
Stainless steel is best for piercings, because stainless steel is hypoallergenic. It is also non-porous and smooth, unlike gold, so detritus does not stick as vigorously, and it is easier to keep clean.

Ear piercing guns cannot be sterilized. You could be presenting tetanus, hepatitis B or C, HIV, or other bacteria/infections to your child before their body can fight back.

Had your child had a recent tetanus shot. If the piercer does not ask about vaccination history, leave quickly-the piercer clearly hasnt been trained on piercing infants or small children.

A permanent hole is created by scar tissue forming around the piercing. Pulling, stretching, or growth of the ear lobe (which is obvious as your child will continue to grow) can stretch the holes and create excessive scar tissue. Keloid formation can sometimes occur

Allergic reaction and rejection of the products used in the piercing including the earring metal. Allergic reaction can also occur if you use the improper cleaning products- the newly opened skin can react to soaps or other cleaners.

It probs sticks out at the rear as they are too long for an infants tiny ears.

What do you clean them with ? I do hope its not alcohol ?
Alcohol is far, far too harsh for new piercings those with tender, sensitive skin, particularly young children alcohol is too caustic and drying, and can thus hinder the healing process as well as cause additional irritation problems.

Its a barbaric ritual that is forced upon a child because the parents feel the baby will look cute

Quote:
as far as I'm concerned they are just another accessory that she can choose for her pretty ears
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.

Last edited by missymugwump; 06-05-2009 at 6:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to missymugwump For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
mookie
Old 06-05-2009, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymugwump View Post
If you had this done somewhere proff you should know that gold is not the best metal to use, as many people have allergic reactions to it.
Stainless steel is best for piercings, because stainless steel is hypoallergenic. It is also non-porous and smooth, unlike gold, so detritus does not stick as vigorously, and it is easier to keep clean.

That first sentence seems like you think I have no idea of course I know that, you are just making incorrect assumptions. They were done by a professional who has over 30 years experience, she has pierced ears of several of my friends all over the age of 22 (as babies or small children I add). Her ears were pierced with stainless steel! I do know about gold, but this is for the first 6 months after a piercing has been done to allow them to heal so they are fine now. She has had them since she had her 2nd injections as advised by the piercer and the health visitor. I think from what I remember they were bathed in Savlon, the gentle one in the blue tube type bottle it defo wasnt alcohol. I made an informed decision and researched thoroughly before doing so, I know not everyone agrees but there are plenty of people who say they like it too its personal choice, I do not want to argue or be insulted just because people do not share that choice. If I had asked should I get my daughters ears pierced then fair enough but I did not ask that question.

I also add I have seen babies with massive diamond rocks in their ears I personally do not like them, I prefer the dainty small studs, but is it my place to call those people chavs and inflict my views that their kids earrings look like pat butcher....no, each to their own.

Last edited by mookie; 06-05-2009 at 6:57 PM.
# 16
Hailz86
Old 07-05-2009, 1:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Heya hun, sounds like a bad case of usual claires staff.
I am trained to pierce and piercing studs should not be so long that they can poke the side of your head, as they are designed to be slept in during the healing process.
Also, piercing studs should techincally not be sold without the piercing, if that makes sense.
The problem with claires is that they put their staff through a quick ear piercing course, and as at least a few people on this forum will tell you, that causes more problems then not in most stores.
Did you tell the store staff that the earrings were for a 2 year old? They should have a shorter earring for a younger child, as should most reputable places.
If you have trouble in the future finding piercing studs, let me know and I shall get some for you from the place I buy them from, never had a problem. xx
2012 Wins - Danepak Fridge Magnet, 20 Just Eat Voucher, iTunes Song Download, Yellow Toaster and Kettle, Thorntons Bunny, 6 Months Gym Membership, 250 Multipower Products, 3 X Dalepak Vouchers, 10 minute sunbed session, Lucozade Sport, 2 X BMI Flights, Android Zeemote,
The Following User Says Thank You to Hailz86 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread