Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Kavanne
    • By Kavanne 5th May 09, 9:55 PM
    • 5,016 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    Kavanne
    • 5th May 09, 9:55 PM
    There aren't any?
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• allan673
    dont know of any 95% mortgages now??? theyve all gone.

the best 85% i know is halifax 5.71% 5 yr fix, although there are a few 90% mortgages available with higher rates still.
  • Neil12
    • 6th May 09, 8:54 PM
    • 6th May 09, 8:54 PM
    Is the one offered by Yorkshire Bank any good ?
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 6th May 09, 9:03 PM
    • 5,865 Posts
    • 7,109 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 6th May 09, 9:03 PM
    • 6th May 09, 9:03 PM
    http://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/95-mortgages.htm
    This post is sponsored by MoneySupermarket
  • happybroker
    • 6th May 09, 9:05 PM
    • 6th May 09, 9:05 PM
    wasn't aware they did one neil, if they ar e doing it will be good as it is probably the only one.
    Happily an ex mortgage broker!
  • _Andy_
    • 6th May 09, 10:08 PM
    • 6th May 09, 10:08 PM
    I believe HSBC will do 95% for graduates.

Why anyone would want a 95% purchase in today's market is beyond me.
  • riles
    • 7th May 09, 8:44 AM
    • 7th May 09, 8:44 AM
    I believe HSBC will do 95% for graduates.

Why anyone would want a 95% purchase in today's market is beyond me.
    Originally posted by _Andy_
    95% today will probably be a lot less risky than 95% in September 2007 turned out to be.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 7th May 09, 8:59 AM
    • 14,992 Posts
    • 13,276 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 7th May 09, 8:59 AM
    • 7th May 09, 8:59 AM
    The overwhelming majority of the 95% mortages shown on the link posted by poppy10 are for existing customers only, so would be of no use to a first-time buyer.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Neil12
    Well I've found out more about the Yorkshire Bank . They do still offer the 95% LTV mortgage for First Time Buyers @ 6.99% fixed over three years then switching to their std variabe rate. You can also make overpayments but they have to be regular. To me 6.99% is till low in comparison to 10yrs ago etc and in comparison to what it will be in a year and a half when inflation takes hold of the economy. I must add though that we're not taking a big gamble in buying a 3 bed semi for just over £100k.

I'm not sure about other first time buyers but it's the requirement for large deposits that I think is stalling the amount of FTB's n the market. If the banks and economy are now recovering as the FTSE seems to suggest, then the banks maybe should start offering such 95% deals again but pay more heed to their applicants particular circumstances...for security of employment etc.
    • spectre
    • By spectre 8th May 09, 6:35 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    spectre
    dont know of any 95% mortgages now??? theyve all gone.

the best 85% i know is halifax 5.71% 5 yr fix, although there are a few 90% mortgages available with higher rates still.
    Originally posted by allan673

just for reference, Natwest do a 5.49% fixed for 5years or 5.29% fixed for FTB`s with 85%LTV
  • adamzetec
    just for reference, Natwest do a 5.49% fixed for 5years or 5.29% fixed for FTB`s with 85%LTV
    Originally posted by spectre
    This rate doesn't exist. I have just called Natwest and the deals on their website are currently upto date.

Where did you get this information from?
    • Hadrian
    • By Hadrian 8th May 09, 11:10 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Hadrian
    If the banks and BS's have learnt anything it's that 100% or more mortgages are what got us in this critical financial state that we now find ourselves in. Statistically the higher loan to value mortgages the greater the chance of the recipient defaulting on the loan. The only way to regain some sanity in the housing market is for to keep deposits at least at 10% and some rigid form of investigation into the applicants financial standing. If that sounds hard then it's what used to be the case pre the 1980's. It is generally believed that the relaxation of these 'rules' was the major cause of the crisis we will have to shoulder for the next decade. so...save every penny for the deposit and wait until house prices bottom in a couple of years. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the majority of houses are at least 10/15% overvalued.
    • spectre
    • By spectre 8th May 09, 2:51 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    spectre
    This rate doesn't exist. I have just called Natwest and the deals on their website are currently upto date.

Where did you get this information from?
    Originally posted by adamzetec

its written on my agreement paper, 5yr fix 5.49% till 290614 85% LTV.

Call the mortgage line i got this rate on Wednesday morning of this week.
    • spectre
    • By spectre 8th May 09, 2:52 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    spectre
    Originally posted by spectre

the 5.29% is for a 2yr fixd offer sorry just spotted that

5.49% is valid for 5yrs though
  • unite79
    If the banks and BS's have learnt anything it's that 100% or more mortgages are what got us in this critical financial state that we now find ourselves in. Statistically the higher loan to value mortgages the greater the chance of the recipient defaulting on the loan. The only way to regain some sanity in the housing market is for to keep deposits at least at 10% and some rigid form of investigation into the applicants financial standing. If that sounds hard then it's what used to be the case pre the 1980's. It is generally believed that the relaxation of these 'rules' was the major cause of the crisis we will have to shoulder for the next decade. so...save every penny for the deposit and wait until house prices bottom in a couple of years. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the majority of houses are at least 10/15% overvalued.
    Originally posted by Hadrian

I dont think the current state has a a massive bearing on high LTV, more Banks diverting into high risk income streams in different countrys, namely America.

A number of leadig Economists are starting to call the bottom of the market, waiting 2 years does not sound Ideal in my opinion!
  • unite79
    Defaulting on a Loan, probably has a massive bearing on someones abilty to meet the Mortgage Payment - Unemployment has risen DRAMATICALLY over the last 6-12 months - Unemployment does not just effect those with High loan to Values.........
  • marklv
    I'm glad I bought in 2005 with a 40% deposit - but then I was 38 at the time!
  • emmahane
    did you ring yorkshire bank re the 95% deposit as they are not advertising i ton their website
  • Tiddler
    Still on their website

http://www.ybonline.co.uk/personal/mortgages/interest-rates-and-charges/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

2,232Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin