Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wulfhere
    • By wulfhere 27th Apr 09, 1:04 PM
    • 116Posts
    • 6Thanks
    wulfhere
    Minimum amount the government says I can live on?
    • 27th Apr 09, 1:04 PM
    Minimum amount the government says I can live on? 27th Apr 09 at 1:04 PM
    Hi, I'm currently in the midst of an administration mess with the housing benefit people - long story. Anyway, can anyone tell me what the minimum amount is that the government says that I can live on? Thanks.
Page 1
    • healy
    • By healy 27th Apr 09, 1:15 PM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    healy
    • 27th Apr 09, 1:15 PM
    • 27th Apr 09, 1:15 PM
    It depends on your circumstances but if you are a single adult over 25 with no disabilities it is £64.30 a week.

More details here:

http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/jsa/rates.asp
  • parapusher
    • 27th Apr 09, 11:57 PM
    • 27th Apr 09, 11:57 PM
    From my experience, the minimum amount the government says you need to live on, varies for each benefit.
  • LizzieS
    • 28th Apr 09, 12:02 AM
    • 28th Apr 09, 12:02 AM
    If you owe any money to HB (or anywhere else for that matter), there is a limit to what can be taken off benefits.
  • form
    • 24th Jun 10, 1:20 PM
    I have beeen accussed of benefit fraud
    • 24th Jun 10, 1:20 PM
    I have been accussed of benefit fraud. I have 2 young children 1 of 3 months old and 1 of 5yrs old. I am a full time single mother and all my benefits has stopped. The reason is my childrens father ex partner called up maliciously as she is a woman scorned. I ive on my own with 2 children.Their father comes to see them once a week and helps out with the kids.
    I am appealing at the moment but have gone down to my last £10 and have been told that I could claim a crisis loan but no guarantee I will get it as this case is going on.
    How do I feed my children? HELP??
    • baza52
    • By baza52 24th Jun 10, 2:15 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 1,517 Thanks
    baza52
    • 24th Jun 10, 2:15 PM
    • 24th Jun 10, 2:15 PM
    ask their father to help.
  • moodydonkey
    • 24th Jun 10, 2:25 PM
    • 24th Jun 10, 2:25 PM
    I have been accussed of benefit fraud. I have 2 young children 1 of 3 months old and 1 of 5yrs old. I am a full time single mother and all my benefits has stopped. The reason is my childrens father ex partner called up maliciously as she is a woman scorned. I ive on my own with 2 children.Their father comes to see them once a week and helps out with the kids.
    I am appealing at the moment but have gone down to my last £10 and have been told that I could claim a crisis loan but no guarantee I will get it as this case is going on.
    Originally posted by form
    Could you request your child benfit to be paid weekly? This may help, also maintenance from the father.
    Sadly, you don't have any badges yet but keep trying! See what you could get........... oh boo hoo I am crying into my wine.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 24th Jun 10, 2:53 PM
    • 4,971 Posts
    • 22,538 Thanks
    thorsoak
    • 24th Jun 10, 2:53 PM
    • 24th Jun 10, 2:53 PM
    Form - how does the children's father pay maintenance for them? If he comes to see them once a week, then for the time being, I suggest that you ask him to pay for groceries/nappies etc. And as has already been suggested, ask that your CB be paid weekly - that should be of some temporary help.

If you can refute the accusation that you are living with the children's father, then your benefits will be reinstated.

If on the other hand, you cannot prove that he does not live with you, then he is going to have to support you and his children. In any case, he should be supporting his children.
  • andyandflo
    • 24th Jun 10, 2:59 PM
    • 24th Jun 10, 2:59 PM
    Form - how does the children's father pay maintenance for them? If he comes to see them once a week, then for the time being, I suggest that you ask him to pay for groceries/nappies etc. And as has already been suggested, ask that your CB be paid weekly - that should be of some temporary help.

If you can refute the accusation that you are living with the children's father, then your benefits will be reinstated.

If on the other hand, you cannot prove that he does not live with you, then he is going to have to support you and his children. In any case, he should be supporting his children.
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    Absolutley!! I like many thousands of others have supported our children and still do so even if they are married and 29 years old!

Tell him to get his hand in his pocket!!
  • scousedwill
    Mr Daniels would be proud of this one

Okay.
    I thought that the worst was over. Not telling me my benefit stop date. Stopped any money for 4 weeks
    Now just waiting for an appeal date from HMCS.
    Medication doubled.

However. I was wondering why I was running out of money every week. I put it down to putting me back on two weekly payments... now it appears I cant count...

Up untill my Income Support date I recieved £ 151.65 weekly
    After payment restart I have received £245.60 fortnightly.

So on the date I had my benefit stopped the Minimum amount the government says I can live on? was £151.65 a week.

The day after
    It would appear the Minimum amount the government says I can live on?
    is now £ 122.80

Now thats magic!
    • fluffymovie
    • By fluffymovie 15th Mar 12, 8:31 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 1,261 Thanks
    fluffymovie
    It's not magic, that looks like a disability premium has been removed.

Are you on long term incapacity benefit,

Just realised how sad it is that I knew that from memory!! Healy, here is the HB circular which shows 2011/12 and 12/13. £64.30 was year before last. It's 67.50 until 1 April when it increases to 71.

Op, they have removed a disability premium so that's the difference

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/a1-2012.pdf
    Last edited by fluffymovie; 15-03-2012 at 8:36 PM.
  • adams1968
    to many bedrooms
    hi can anyone help it is being brought in from april 2013 if you are on houseing benfits and you are living at home on your own as the children have grown up and left you will be taxed on the spare rooms you have and will have to pay out of your benfits , will the amount to get increase to cover it as they say this is the amount the goverment say you get to live on
  • marybelle01
    hi can anyone help it is being brought in from april 2013 if you are on houseing benfits and you are living at home on your own as the children have grown up and left you will be taxed on the spare rooms you have and will have to pay out of your benfits , will the amount to get increase to cover it as they say this is the amount the goverment say you get to live on
    Originally posted by adams1968
    You will have your benefits reduced by an amount depending on how many spare rooms you now have, and no, you won't get more money in other benefits to make up the shortfall. You will have to make choices about whether you are willing to make the extra payments yourself or move to a smaller property.
  • Morlock
    will the amount to get increase to cover it
    No, you will have to make up the shortfall in rent out of any benefits/income that you receive. The idea being that you have to move to a smaller property, even if it is more expensive to rent.
    • BigAunty
    • By BigAunty 23rd Aug 12, 3:58 PM
    • 7,953 Posts
    • 14,415 Thanks
    BigAunty
    This is for working age tenants in social housing - council and housing association. The aim is to reduce the HB bill and reduce the significant under occupation in the sector.

It's been nicknamed 'the bedroom tax' (not very accurate description but if you google the term, you will uncover the info).

Benefits will not be increased - a household with one empty room will lose around 14% of their housing benefit, more for two.

If you are a housing association tenant, what age are you, how many empty bedrooms do you have and what is your rent?
  • shedboy94

Okay.
    I thought that the worst was over. Not telling me my benefit stop date. Stopped any money for 4 weeks
    Now just waiting for an appeal date from HMCS.
    Medication doubled.

However. I was wondering why I was running out of money every week. I put it down to putting me back on two weekly payments... now it appears I cant count...

Up untill my Income Support date I recieved £ 151.65 weekly
    After payment restart I have received £245.60 fortnightly.

So on the date I had my benefit stopped the Minimum amount the government says I can live on? was £151.65 a week.

The day after
    It would appear the Minimum amount the government says I can live on?
    is now £ 122.80

Now thats magic!
    Originally posted by scousedwill
    You appear to be forgetting to mention the CTC you will presumably be receiving which will be an additional approx £113pw, plus child benefit also, so you will have considerably more than £122.80pw..........
  • ladyrider260
    You appear to be forgetting to mention the CTC you will presumably be receiving which will be an additional approx £113pw, plus child benefit also, so you will have considerably more than £122.80pw..........
    Originally posted by shedboy94
    How can you make a comment like that on a post where the user has provided no information on their circumstances and has only ever made one post since their registration?!
  • Notmyrealname
    From the £140 a week Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit you get.
  • Notmyrealname
    How can you make a comment like that on a post where the user has provided no information on their circumstances and has only ever made one post since their registration?!
    Originally posted by ladyrider260
    Quite easy. She asked how is she going to feed her two children. So she has two children and therefore will get just over £140 a week total from Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit.
  • shedboy94
    Originally posted by ladyrider260
    I misread the post, I thought it was by the person that asked how they can feed their 2 children. Anyhoo, I've answered the question, I just quoted the wrong post.....
    Last edited by shedboy94; 23-08-2012 at 6:31 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,997Posts Today

6,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • All good now with Cheap Energy Club - the new EDF blagged tariff that'll typically save most £340/yr is now live... https://t.co/soY0xIgT0s

• Very sorry that Cheap Energy Club is struggling, the tech team are on it full pace.

• RT @Income_MAX: RESEARCH PROJECT: We're looking for people living without a bank account for a confidential research project https://t.co/O?

• Follow Martin