Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Minimum amount the government says I can live on? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Minimum amount the government says I can live on?
Closed Thread
Views: 33,671
# 1
wulfhere
Old 27-04-2009, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Minimum amount the government says I can live on?

Hi, I'm currently in the midst of an administration mess with the housing benefit people - long story. Anyway, can anyone tell me what the minimum amount is that the government says that I can live on? Thanks.
# 2
healy
Old 27-04-2009, 1:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It depends on your circumstances but if you are a single adult over 25 with no disabilities it is 64.30 a week.

More details here:

http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/jsa/rates.asp
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
parapusher
Old 27-04-2009, 11:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

From my experience, the minimum amount the government says you need to live on, varies for each benefit.
# 4
LizzieS
Old 28-04-2009, 12:02 AM

If you owe any money to HB (or anywhere else for that matter), there is a limit to what can be taken off benefits.
# 5
form
Old 24-06-2010, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I have beeen accussed of benefit fraud

I have been accussed of benefit fraud. I have 2 young children 1 of 3 months old and 1 of 5yrs old. I am a full time single mother and all my benefits has stopped. The reason is my childrens father ex partner called up maliciously as she is a woman scorned. I ive on my own with 2 children.Their father comes to see them once a week and helps out with the kids.
I am appealing at the moment but have gone down to my last 10 and have been told that I could claim a crisis loan but no guarantee I will get it as this case is going on.
How do I feed my children? HELP??
# 6
baza52
Old 24-06-2010, 2:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

ask their father to help.
# 7
moodydonkey
Old 24-06-2010, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
I have been accussed of benefit fraud. I have 2 young children 1 of 3 months old and 1 of 5yrs old. I am a full time single mother and all my benefits has stopped. The reason is my childrens father ex partner called up maliciously as she is a woman scorned. I ive on my own with 2 children.Their father comes to see them once a week and helps out with the kids.
I am appealing at the moment but have gone down to my last 10 and have been told that I could claim a crisis loan but no guarantee I will get it as this case is going on.
Could you request your child benfit to be paid weekly? This may help, also maintenance from the father.
Sadly, you don't have any badges yet but keep trying! See what you could get........... oh boo hoo I am crying into my wine.
# 8
thorsoak
Old 24-06-2010, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Form - how does the children's father pay maintenance for them? If he comes to see them once a week, then for the time being, I suggest that you ask him to pay for groceries/nappies etc. And as has already been suggested, ask that your CB be paid weekly - that should be of some temporary help.

If you can refute the accusation that you are living with the children's father, then your benefits will be reinstated.

If on the other hand, you cannot prove that he does not live with you, then he is going to have to support you and his children. In any case, he should be supporting his children.
# 9
andyandflo
Old 24-06-2010, 2:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsoak View Post
Form - how does the children's father pay maintenance for them? If he comes to see them once a week, then for the time being, I suggest that you ask him to pay for groceries/nappies etc. And as has already been suggested, ask that your CB be paid weekly - that should be of some temporary help.

If you can refute the accusation that you are living with the children's father, then your benefits will be reinstated.

If on the other hand, you cannot prove that he does not live with you, then he is going to have to support you and his children. In any case, he should be supporting his children.
Absolutley!! I like many thousands of others have supported our children and still do so even if they are married and 29 years old!

Tell him to get his hand in his pocket!!
# 10
scousedwill
Old 15-03-2012, 6:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Mr Daniels would be proud of this one

Okay.
I thought that the worst was over. Not telling me my benefit stop date. Stopped any money for 4 weeks
Now just waiting for an appeal date from HMCS.
Medication doubled.

However. I was wondering why I was running out of money every week. I put it down to putting me back on two weekly payments... now it appears I cant count...

Up untill my Income Support date I recieved 151.65 weekly
After payment restart I have received 245.60 fortnightly.

So on the date I had my benefit stopped the Minimum amount the government says I can live on? was 151.65 a week.

The day after
It would appear the Minimum amount the government says I can live on?
is now 122.80

Now thats magic!
# 11
fluffymovie
Old 15-03-2012, 8:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's not magic, that looks like a disability premium has been removed.

Are you on long term incapacity benefit,

Just realised how sad it is that I knew that from memory!! Healy, here is the HB circular which shows 2011/12 and 12/13. 64.30 was year before last. It's 67.50 until 1 April when it increases to 71.

Op, they have removed a disability premium so that's the difference

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/a1-2012.pdf

Last edited by fluffymovie; 15-03-2012 at 8:36 PM.
# 12
adams1968
Old 23-08-2012, 3:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default to many bedrooms

hi can anyone help it is being brought in from april 2013 if you are on houseing benfits and you are living at home on your own as the children have grown up and left you will be taxed on the spare rooms you have and will have to pay out of your benfits , will the amount to get increase to cover it as they say this is the amount the goverment say you get to live on
# 13
marybelle01
Old 23-08-2012, 3:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams1968 View Post
hi can anyone help it is being brought in from april 2013 if you are on houseing benfits and you are living at home on your own as the children have grown up and left you will be taxed on the spare rooms you have and will have to pay out of your benfits , will the amount to get increase to cover it as they say this is the amount the goverment say you get to live on
You will have your benefits reduced by an amount depending on how many spare rooms you now have, and no, you won't get more money in other benefits to make up the shortfall. You will have to make choices about whether you are willing to make the extra payments yourself or move to a smaller property.
The Following User Says Thank You to marybelle01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Morlock
Old 23-08-2012, 3:36 PM

Quote:
will the amount to get increase to cover it
No, you will have to make up the shortfall in rent out of any benefits/income that you receive. The idea being that you have to move to a smaller property, even if it is more expensive to rent.
# 15
BigAunty
Old 23-08-2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
This is for working age tenants in social housing - council and housing association. The aim is to reduce the HB bill and reduce the significant under occupation in the sector.

It's been nicknamed 'the bedroom tax' (not very accurate description but if you google the term, you will uncover the info).

Benefits will not be increased - a household with one empty room will lose around 14% of their housing benefit, more for two.

If you are a housing association tenant, what age are you, how many empty bedrooms do you have and what is your rent?
The Following User Says Thank You to BigAunty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
shedboy94
Old 23-08-2012, 4:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scousedwill View Post

Okay.
I thought that the worst was over. Not telling me my benefit stop date. Stopped any money for 4 weeks
Now just waiting for an appeal date from HMCS.
Medication doubled.

However. I was wondering why I was running out of money every week. I put it down to putting me back on two weekly payments... now it appears I cant count...

Up untill my Income Support date I recieved 151.65 weekly
After payment restart I have received 245.60 fortnightly.

So on the date I had my benefit stopped the Minimum amount the government says I can live on? was 151.65 a week.

The day after
It would appear the Minimum amount the government says I can live on?
is now 122.80

Now thats magic!
You appear to be forgetting to mention the CTC you will presumably be receiving which will be an additional approx 113pw, plus child benefit also, so you will have considerably more than 122.80pw..........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shedboy94 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
ladyrider260
Old 23-08-2012, 5:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedboy94 View Post
You appear to be forgetting to mention the CTC you will presumably be receiving which will be an additional approx 113pw, plus child benefit also, so you will have considerably more than 122.80pw..........
How can you make a comment like that on a post where the user has provided no information on their circumstances and has only ever made one post since their registration?!
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyrider260 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Notmyrealname
Old 23-08-2012, 6:25 PM
PPR

Quote:
From the 140 a week Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit you get.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Notmyrealname For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Notmyrealname
Old 23-08-2012, 6:26 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider260 View Post
How can you make a comment like that on a post where the user has provided no information on their circumstances and has only ever made one post since their registration?!
Quite easy. She asked how is she going to feed her two children. So she has two children and therefore will get just over 140 a week total from Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Notmyrealname For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
shedboy94
Old 23-08-2012, 6:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider260 View Post
I misread the post, I thought it was by the person that asked how they can feed their 2 children. Anyhoo, I've answered the question, I just quoted the wrong post.....

Last edited by shedboy94; 23-08-2012 at 6:31 PM.
Closed Thread