Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Changing from BT to PO Home phone, Line Faults?? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Changing from BT to PO Home phone, Line Faults??
Closed Thread
Views: 2,105
# 1
rattyjack
Old 12-03-2006, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile Changing from BT to PO Home phone, Line Faults??

We are considering changing from BT to Post Office Home Phone, and were wondering whether BT would still be responsible for repairing any line faults??

OR... would it be down to the poor old overworked and underpaid Postie, to come and fix it after he has finished delivering all that junk mail?!!!!

Thanks for any help
# 2
BexTech
Old 12-03-2006, 5:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

PO would pass the problem over to BT who would then fix it.

However are you sure you want the PO phone service?

PO is only any good if you don't use the phone to make calls.
It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
(OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
The Following User Says Thank You to BexTech For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Steve_xx
Old 12-03-2006, 5:55 PM

You would lose the right to least cost route your calls if you shift line rental to the Post Office.
# 4
rattyjack
Old 12-03-2006, 5:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for that, how did you know that we hardly ever use the phone??!!
I have just compared call rates, you are absolutely right, the PO is much more expensive for calls.

Think we'll stay where we are.
# 5
Steve_xx
Old 12-03-2006, 6:43 PM

Yes this is so. (This answer was in response to Utilitybroker's now removed posting, asking if I was sure that the Post Office did not allow least cost routing)

As an aside, non BT customers cannot retain their telephone number if they transfer to the Post Office.

Last edited by Steve_xx; 12-03-2006 at 6:47 PM.
# 6
Heinz
Old 12-03-2006, 6:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattyjack
I have just compared call rates, you are absolutely right, the PO is much more expensive for calls.

OTOH (click 'HERE' in my signature below) there are savings to be made even by quite low users .
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
# 7
Steve_xx
Old 12-03-2006, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattyjack

You might consider registering with 1899.com. That would allow you to make untimed UK calls at anytime for 3p.

You might also register with Primus Saver Option 2 for free evening and weekend calls to UK landlines with number starting 01 or 02.
# 8
utilitybroker
Old 12-03-2006, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_xx
Yes this is so. (This answer was in response to Utilitybroker's now removed posting, asking if I was sure that the Post Office did not allow least cost routing)

As an aside, non BT customers cannot retain their telephone number if they transfer to the Post Office.
I removed my post because i assumed on reflection that you meant CPS and not LCR. You could still use a smart box on PO line to LCR your calls to likes of 1899 etc i believe.
# 9
Steve_xx
Old 12-03-2006, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utilitybroker
I removed my post because i assumed on reflection that you meant CPS and not LCR. You could still use a smart box on PO line to LCR your calls to likes of 1899 etc i believe.

I meant indirect access. You may be able to do it, but they can stop it if they want to.

Last edited by Steve_xx; 12-03-2006 at 7:07 PM.
# 10
utilitybroker
Old 13-03-2006, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_xx
I meant indirect access. You may be able to do it, but they can stop it if they want to.
Yes of course, just as Talk Talk have done recently!!!
# 11
chrismurray
Old 14-03-2006, 5:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Calls with the Post Office aren't expensive if you are only a light user. I have used the Post Office for almost a year and receive much smaller bills mainly due to the fact that their line rental is cheaper than BT. BT do only charge their minimum charge for evening calls up to an hour but the Post Office don't have any minimum charge. You may be surprised how many calls you make at a minute or so long that only cost 1p with the Post Office but cost the minimum 5.5p with BT, and how rarely you make an hour long call.

As with most phone suppliers if there are faults on your line you call the Post Office, and they then pass on the fault to BT and arrange for a BT engineer to visit. You may also be interested to know that calls to the Post Office HomePhone service number are always answered by a person, they don't use one of the 'Press 1 for...' systems that most companies have.

Chris

Last edited by chrismurray; 14-03-2006 at 5:38 PM.
# 12
pawpurrs
Old 17-03-2006, 8:35 AM

I didnt realise you couldnt use P O phone to reroute, however as a low user, i am thinking it may still be worth my while as, you get 30.00 for going through quidco and 50 credit for your bill, equating to 80.OO for the period that you have to stay with them, which for the 6 mths you have to be with them, means free line rental, and 20.00 towards calls? My BT bill is 8.00 for calls per month, so if the charges were the same as bt means that 6 mths phone bill would cost me 20.00, making it a good option for me, am I right?
# 13
utilitybroker
Old 17-03-2006, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpurrs
I didnt realise you couldnt use P O phone to reroute, however as a low user, i am thinking it may still be worth my while as, you get 30.00 for going through quidco and 50 credit for your bill, equating to 80.OO for the period that you have to stay with them, which for the 6 mths you have to be with them, means free line rental, and 20.00 towards calls? My BT bill is 8.00 for calls per month, so if the charges were the same as bt means that 6 mths phone bill would cost me 20.00, making it a good option for me, am I right?
Less then 5 a month seems to be the point at which you gain. You dont get any credit till the 2nd and 3rd bill which could be up to 9 months.

I quote MSE Martin.

"Light Users (If your BT bill is under 5 for calls made)

If you make very few calls, line rental cost is more important than call cost. Join Post Office Home Phone* before the end of March 2006 and it gives 50 credit towards both line rental and call charges. Its calls arent cheap, so higher users should ignore this, However for those who are spending less than 5 a month (on a main provider) this is a good deal.

The 50 credit is paid on the 2nd and 3rd bills, which you will receive in the 3rd and 6th months, thus you need have the phone for six months to qualify. Thus you could simply use up the 50 then ditch it and switch to the cheapest calls provider after that."
# 14
pawpurrs
Old 17-03-2006, 9:46 AM

Yes but martin does not take in to account the 30 form quidco.

Skipton, yes you would def be better off.
The Following User Says Thank You to pawpurrs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
skipton
Old 17-03-2006, 9:49 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This is probably not the place to ask but what is quidco?
# 16
utilitybroker
Old 17-03-2006, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Yes but martin does not take in to account the 30 form quidco.
Of course.
# 17
pawpurrs
Old 17-03-2006, 9:51 AM

www.quidco.co.uk use them to go though for all internet shopping and utility swaps and they give you cash back, its excellent. if you swap to po home phone you get 30.00
The Following User Says Thank You to pawpurrs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Heinz
Old 17-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
www.quidco.co.uk use them to go though for all internet shopping and utility swaps and they give you cash back, its excellent. if you swap to po home phone you get 30.00
But beware - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=167808
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
pawpurrs
Old 17-03-2006, 11:01 AM

If you move and use 1899, or the like though, wont you still be saving a lot, unless of course they withdraw the right to use that kind of service?
Closed Thread