Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • BexTech
    • 12th Mar 06, 5:28 PM
    • 12th Mar 06, 5:28 PM
    PO would pass the problem over to BT who would then fix it.

However are you sure you want the PO phone service?

PO is only any good if you don't use the phone to make calls.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Mar 06, 5:55 PM
    • 6,360 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 12th Mar 06, 5:55 PM
    • 12th Mar 06, 5:55 PM
    You would lose the right to least cost route your calls if you shift line rental to the Post Office.
  • rattyjack
    • 12th Mar 06, 5:56 PM
    • 12th Mar 06, 5:56 PM
    Thanks for that, how did you know that we hardly ever use the phone??!!
    I have just compared call rates, you are absolutely right, the PO is much more expensive for calls.

Think we'll stay where we are.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Mar 06, 6:43 PM
    • 6,360 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:43 PM
    Yes this is so. (This answer was in response to Utilitybroker's now removed posting, asking if I was sure that the Post Office did not allow least cost routing)

As an aside, non BT customers cannot retain their telephone number if they transfer to the Post Office.
    Last edited by Steve_xx; 12-03-2006 at 6:47 PM.
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 12th Mar 06, 6:49 PM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:49 PM
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:49 PM
    I have just compared call rates, you are absolutely right, the PO is much more expensive for calls.

by rattyjack
    OTOH (click 'HERE' in my signature below) there are savings to be made even by quite low users .
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Mar 06, 6:51 PM
    • 6,360 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:51 PM
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:51 PM

by rattyjack
    You might consider registering with 1899.com. That would allow you to make untimed UK calls at anytime for 3p.

You might also register with Primus Saver Option 2 for free evening and weekend calls to UK landlines with number starting 01 or 02.
  • utilitybroker
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:56 PM
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:56 PM
    Yes this is so. (This answer was in response to Utilitybroker's now removed posting, asking if I was sure that the Post Office did not allow least cost routing)

As an aside, non BT customers cannot retain their telephone number if they transfer to the Post Office.
    by Steve_xx
    I removed my post because i assumed on reflection that you meant CPS and not LCR. You could still use a smart box on PO line to LCR your calls to likes of 1899 etc i believe.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Mar 06, 6:59 PM
    • 6,360 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:59 PM
    • 12th Mar 06, 6:59 PM
    I removed my post because i assumed on reflection that you meant CPS and not LCR. You could still use a smart box on PO line to LCR your calls to likes of 1899 etc i believe.
    by utilitybroker

I meant indirect access. You may be able to do it, but they can stop it if they want to.
    Last edited by Steve_xx; 12-03-2006 at 7:07 PM.
  • utilitybroker
    I meant indirect access. You may be able to do it, but they can stop it if they want to.
    by Steve_xx
    Yes of course, just as Talk Talk have done recently!!!
  • chrismurray
    Calls with the Post Office aren't expensive if you are only a light user. I have used the Post Office for almost a year and receive much smaller bills mainly due to the fact that their line rental is cheaper than BT. BT do only charge their minimum charge for evening calls up to an hour but the Post Office don't have any minimum charge. You may be surprised how many calls you make at a minute or so long that only cost 1p with the Post Office but cost the minimum 5.5p with BT, and how rarely you make an hour long call.

As with most phone suppliers if there are faults on your line you call the Post Office, and they then pass on the fault to BT and arrange for a BT engineer to visit. You may also be interested to know that calls to the Post Office HomePhone service number are always answered by a person, they don't use one of the 'Press 1 for...' systems that most companies have.

Chris
    Last edited by chrismurray; 14-03-2006 at 5:38 PM.
    • pawpurrs
    • By pawpurrs 17th Mar 06, 8:35 AM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 5,370 Thanks
    pawpurrs
    I didnt realise you couldnt use P O phone to reroute, however as a low user, i am thinking it may still be worth my while as, you get £30.00 for going through quidco and £50 credit for your bill, equating to £80.OO for the period that you have to stay with them, which for the 6 mths you have to be with them, means free line rental, and £20.00 towards calls? My BT bill is £8.00 for calls per month, so if the charges were the same as bt means that 6 mths phone bill would cost me £20.00, making it a good option for me, am I right?
  • utilitybroker
    I didnt realise you couldnt use P O phone to reroute, however as a low user, i am thinking it may still be worth my while as, you get £30.00 for going through quidco and £50 credit for your bill, equating to £80.OO for the period that you have to stay with them, which for the 6 mths you have to be with them, means free line rental, and £20.00 towards calls? My BT bill is £8.00 for calls per month, so if the charges were the same as bt means that 6 mths phone bill would cost me £20.00, making it a good option for me, am I right?
    by pawpurrs
    Less then £5 a month seems to be the point at which you gain. You dont get any credit till the 2nd and 3rd bill which could be up to 9 months.

I quote MSE Martin.

"Light Users (If your BT bill is under £5 for calls made)

If you make very few calls, line rental cost is more important than call cost. Join Post Office Home Phone* before the end of March 2006 and it gives £50 credit towards both line rental and call charges. Its calls arenít cheap, so higher users should ignore this, However for those who are spending less than £5 a month (on a main provider) this is a good deal.

The £50 credit is paid on the 2nd and 3rd bills, which you will receive in the 3rd and 6th months, thus you need have the phone for six months to qualify. Thus you could simply use up the £50 then ditch it and switch to the cheapest calls provider after that."
    • pawpurrs
    • By pawpurrs 17th Mar 06, 9:46 AM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 5,370 Thanks
    pawpurrs
    Yes but martin does not take in to account the £30 form quidco.

Skipton, yes you would def be better off.
    • skipton
    • By skipton 17th Mar 06, 9:49 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    skipton
    This is probably not the place to ask but what is quidco?
  • utilitybroker
    Yes but martin does not take in to account the £30 form quidco.
    by pawpurrs
    Of course.
    • pawpurrs
    • By pawpurrs 17th Mar 06, 9:51 AM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 5,370 Thanks
    pawpurrs
    www.quidco.co.uk use them to go though for all internet shopping and utility swaps and they give you cash back, its excellent. if you swap to po home phone you get £30.00
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 17th Mar 06, 10:36 AM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    Heinz
    www.quidco.co.uk use them to go though for all internet shopping and utility swaps and they give you cash back, its excellent. if you swap to po home phone you get £30.00
    by pawpurrs
    But beware - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=167808
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • pawpurrs
    • By pawpurrs 17th Mar 06, 11:01 AM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 5,370 Thanks
    pawpurrs
    If you move and use 1899, or the like though, wont you still be saving a lot, unless of course they withdraw the right to use that kind of service?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

407Posts Today

4,192Users online

Martin's Twitter