Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    cv65user
    waiterose or waitrose fine
    • 21st Apr 09, 5:19 PM
    waiterose or waitrose fine 21st Apr 09 at 5:19 PM
    i overstayed in waitrose by 1 minute in 2 hr free limit and got a 30 £ fine by britannia stuck to my wind sheild.

firstly there is only a green notice on car park entrance which i have not seen for the past 2 years i been parking there . but there was green moss growing on the stands so it has been there for a while which i accept . but as it was green i always thought it was waitrose car park logo . but there was no signs around the bays i parked .

secondly , ticket is hand written spelt ' waiterose ' not waitrose . so is this valid mitagation? - so i can say i was never parked in 'waiterose?' lol

the sign also says you maybe fined not will be fined.

when i asked store manager he says he / waitrose has nothiong to do with britannia car parking services . but the sign does say car park monitored by brittania services ?
Page 1
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 21st Apr 09, 5:26 PM
    • 26,096 Posts
    • 33,076 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 21st Apr 09, 5:26 PM
    • 21st Apr 09, 5:26 PM
    No mitigation needed, its just unenforcible rubbish which can safely be ignored.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Jez Wolf
    • 22nd Apr 09, 9:52 AM
    • 22nd Apr 09, 9:52 AM
    You overstayed by 1 minute and got a ticket?

What a great service by Britannia. LOL.

Shame it's an unenforceable invoice - private parking companies cannot fine you.

You will probably get a few letters before they give up - the standard advice for these privately issued tickets is to ignore them.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 22nd Apr 09, 10:00 AM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 22nd Apr 09, 10:00 AM
    • 22nd Apr 09, 10:00 AM
    when i asked store manager he says he / waitrose has nothiong to do with britannia car parking services . but the sign does say car park monitored by brittania services ?
    Originally posted by cv65user
    If the store is in a retail park or leased site, it could well be that the infrastructure is still managed by the site owners, rather than the store itself, so they have very little say in who gets the parking contract.

And for your ticket - just to reinforce what the others say. Ignore it and file any letters.
  • cv65user
    • 22nd Apr 09, 12:40 PM
    • 22nd Apr 09, 12:40 PM
    ok thx for the heads up guys ,

i know that some like . ie .
    "charles street" vs " charles drive" stood up in court as drive is different from street. but would me saying i never parked in waiterose stand up ? (note the extra 'e''r' in waitrose )
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 22nd Apr 09, 1:03 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 6,200 Thanks
    bargepole
    • 22nd Apr 09, 1:03 PM
    • 22nd Apr 09, 1:03 PM
    ... but would me saying i never parked in waiterose stand up ? (note the extra 'e''r' in waitrose )
    You're missing the point here, the spelling of Waitrose is irrelevant.

This isn't a real fine, it's an unenforceable invoice for an alleged breach of contract by a private parking company. They would have to make a civil claim in a County Court, prove you were driving, prove you agreed to the contract, and prove their terms didn't breach the Unfair Terms regulations.

Never going to happen, their operative's illiteracy is the least of their problems. Ignore all their junk mail.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 29. Lost 9.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 22nd Apr 09, 2:58 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 22nd Apr 09, 2:58 PM
    • 22nd Apr 09, 2:58 PM
    ok thx for the heads up guys ,

i know that some like . ie .
    "charles street" vs " charles drive" stood up in court as drive is different from street. but would me saying i never parked in waiterose stand up ? (note the extra 'e''r' in waitrose )
    Nope, this simply does not matter - It is private property and they can't "fine" you for anything.

As bargepole states above, it is an interpretation of "implied contract" that they rely on and there is next to no chance of that standing up in court - Especially if you don't get into communication with them/tricked into accepting anything.

Never mind that the chain of threatening letters invariably invalidates their case under other legislation as well.
  • oldone
    • 22nd Apr 09, 6:50 PM
    • 22nd Apr 09, 6:50 PM
    If the store is in a retail park or leased site, it could well be that the infrastructure is still managed by the site owners, rather than the store itself, so they have very little say in who gets the parking contract.

And for your ticket - just to reinforce what the others say. Ignore it and file any letters.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    In these days of credit crunch, you can have a lot of satisfaction in going back to the store and saying you have been 'fined' for 1 minute overstay, and since this makes shopping at their store very expensive, you will make sure friends and family know.
    Most store managers seeing a possible drop in custom, would do their best to get the PPC booted off site.
    • sarahg1969
    • By sarahg1969 22nd Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 10,822 Thanks
    sarahg1969
    • 22nd Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    • 22nd Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    In these days of credit crunch, you can have a lot of satisfaction in going back to the store and saying you have been 'fined' for 1 minute overstay, and since this makes shopping at their store very expensive, you will make sure friends and family know.
    Most store managers seeing a possible drop in custom, would do their best to get the PPC booted off site.
    Originally posted by oldone
    You can get even more satisfaction by wheeling a full trolley up the checkout, looking at your watch and telling them you must dash so you don't get "fined"!!
  • Coblcris
    I like that idea !!!
  • cv65user
    You can get even more satisfaction by wheeling a full trolley up the checkout, looking at your watch and telling them you must dash so you don't get "fined"!!
    Originally posted by sarahg1969
    lol i like that idea also , i did consider it . But i only had a sandwich at that time. LOL
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Nov 09, 10:39 AM
    • 51,584 Posts
    • 65,205 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    lol i like that idea also , i did consider it . But i only had a sandwich at that time. LOL

Oooh, you're back after a few months! Out of interest, for worried new posters on here, did Britannia ever send you any letters threatening Court, or did you hear nothing at all?

I trust you didn't pay the scammers.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 19-11-2009 at 12:09 PM.
  • Fly Baby
    What were you doing for 2 hrs 1 min in the Waitrose then? ;-)
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 23rd Nov 09, 9:51 PM
    • 20,281 Posts
    • 12,523 Thanks
    dacouch
    £30 for a private parking ticket is fairly cheap, I would have expected a Waitrose parking ticket to be much more expensive than a normal parking ticket
  • Alx*27
    I hope that doesn't mean pay it! :-)

Usual advice applies:

• do not pay
    • do not contact them
    • ignore any threatening junkmail
    • they will go away

Britannia are a pathetic outfit. Never done court, never will do.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 23rd Nov 09, 11:09 PM
    • 20,281 Posts
    • 12,523 Thanks
    dacouch
    I hope that doesn't mean pay it! :-)

Usual advice applies:

• do not pay
    • do not contact them
    • ignore any threatening junkmail
    • they will go away

Britannia are a pathetic outfit. Never done court, never will do.
    Originally posted by Alx*27
    It does not mean pay it, but I bet it's printed on really nice paper that is sourced from a sustainable forest and is part of fairtrade
  • cv65user
    hi all.

i did not pay it . they did not even bother to chase it or send letters to me ?!!
  • taffy056
    8 months giving an answer, good job it weren't urgent lol
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Jul 10, 1:35 PM
    • 51,584 Posts
    • 65,205 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    LOL!

But it's very useful for newbies to see that nothing happens when you follow the advice and ignore PPC tickets.
  • ginnersinner
    £30 for a private parking ticket is fairly cheap, I would have expected a Waitrose parking ticket to be much more expensive than a normal parking ticket
    Originally posted by dacouch
    They were probably doing a price match with the Aldi PPC that day!

2010 Wins

Good Beer Guide, 7" digital photo frame, Bottle Armani Code Pour Homme
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin