Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > When do I get P60U? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
When do I get P60U?
Closed Thread
Views: 13,233
# 1
northerner79
Old 20-04-2009, 11:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default When do I get P60U?

Sorry to trouble you but I am eager to get my P60U, I have a young family and the HMRC informs me that I am due 2400 in a Tax Rebate, but I am unable to claim this until I get my P60U. Can I get this from the Job Centre or do I wait to receive it in the post? Anyone know when I should recieve this?

Thanks for any help.
# 2
shelly
Old 20-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My hubby got his P60 today in with his payslip.

HTH
Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
# 3
northerner79
Old 21-04-2009, 12:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

But I am given varying advice that P60U's from the Job Centre of HMRC come out in April but some people say the end of May?
# 4
Treading Water
Old 21-04-2009, 7:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Your employer has until the 19th May to issue a P60. Some will issue them Asap after the 05th April and others will leave it until the very last minute.
# 5
northerner79
Old 21-04-2009, 9:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I understand that the P60U will come from either the Job Centre or the HMRC, has anyone received one yet or wheen do they expect to recieve one?

Thanks again.
# 6
Tarasam
Old 21-04-2009, 9:09 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It'll come directly from the job centre but unsure as to when.
# 7
Any
Old 21-04-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner79 View Post
I understand that the P60U will come from either the Job Centre or the HMRC, has anyone received one yet or wheen do they expect to recieve one?

Thanks again.

Well, do you have an employer? If you are not employed then it comes from Job centre.
# 8
Any
Old 21-04-2009, 10:06 AM

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ntcma...ntc0310020.htm

By 31 May following the end of a tax year an employer must, by law, supply an employee from whom he has deducted tax or National Insurance contribution s with a P60 'End of Year Certificate'. This will either show details of all pay and tax for the year or, in certain circumstances, only the pay and tax for the 5 April employment.
If an employee works for more than one employer, then they should have received a P60 from each employer by 31 May, and they will need to add together the figures from each P60 to arrive at their total taxable pay for the year.
If a claimant is unemployed and claiming Income Support (IS), Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) at 5 April he should receive a P60U showing both taxable benefit and his previous earnings.
# 9
northerner79
Old 21-04-2009, 2:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Any, I am on JSa, or I was until I signed off today!

So no I don't have an employer, but when do the Job Centre send out the forms? Or does anyone think I have a realistic chance of getting the money this Fri, as I am far from confident!!
# 10
Any
Old 21-04-2009, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Any, I am on JSa, or I was until I signed off today!

So no I don't have an employer, but when do the Job Centre send out the forms? Or does anyone think I have a realistic chance of getting the money this Fri, as I am far from confident!!
You don't stand a chance to get the money so fast.
First you have to get the P60U and that can be any time before the end of next month (at least for employers, but I cannot see different rules for JSa) and then you show it to HMRC and god knows how many people is waiting for refund so it will take while for processing...

I cannot say how long it will take (never been in such a situation), but I cannot see it happening within days...More like weeks.

Anyone has been in such a situation before?
# 11
cifpower
Old 21-04-2009, 5:21 PM

I am on IB and received my P60U at the beginning of May last year

# 12
northerner79
Old 21-04-2009, 10:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have now signed off JSA and the Job Centre told me any rebate should be with me on Friday but I a not holding my breath!! But the beginning of May is good with me, then I go to my local Tax office and they said a couple of weeks! Taxing times! Thanks for some sensible advice and comments!
# 13
northerner79
Old 21-04-2009, 10:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Any I was told at the Job Centre that me signing off would automatically trigger the payment in the system as I have now signed off JSA and will have any tax rebate made then! I will let you know how I get on, not that you are interested! Another useless fact!!
# 14
Any
Old 22-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Any I was told at the Job Centre that me signing off would automatically trigger the payment in the system as I have now signed off JSA and will have any tax rebate made then! I will let you know how I get on, not that you are interested! Another useless fact!!
I am very interested actually. Please keep me updated.
I wonder whether it is different for people on JSA, because when you are normally working the refund doesn't come that quickly.
It will be very interesting to see whether JC is right and it will add to my knowledge
# 15
northerner79
Old 22-04-2009, 12:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Any,

I will let you know, I was told they have all my information on the file and when I sign off it is automatic, although I am sceptical and think they may have just been telling me what I wanted to hear! Who knows!! I will let you know how I get on, either here or by private message.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to northerner79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ilovetea123
Old 23-04-2009, 1:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello, i have just recieved a P60U in the post this morning... i was just wondering if i'm meant to do something with it or is it just for my records? it sounds silly but i've never had one before so don't actually know what it is! thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to ilovetea123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
cifpower
Old 23-04-2009, 2:42 PM

Just keep it for your records. If you go back to work you will need to tell the people at Tax Credits the figure on the P60U so they can work out what to award you.

# 18
northerner79
Old 23-04-2009, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am thinking maybe I do have a chance of getting my rebate tomorrow from JSA as I am now signed off and HMRC confirmed I am owed around 2500! Not counting on it though! Any thoughts!!
# 19
technik
Old 23-04-2009, 8:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I got my P60U today. As I'm unemployed currently i'm not entirely sure what the point of it is. It doesn't even look "official". It's just a plain A4 page with some figures on it and my address. Takes about half the page in total.
# 20
shelly
Old 23-04-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik View Post
I got my P60U today. As I'm unemployed currently i'm not entirely sure what the point of it is. It doesn't even look "official". It's just a plain A4 page with some figures on it and my address. Takes about half the page in total.

I was looking through some paperwork work yesterday and yes, the DWP P60 you get looks very different to the one you would get if you were working.

Northerner. I also found a letter from DWP about a tax refund I had from them last year. It came from DWP and the letter was on their headed paper. I didn't ask for this, it was automatic. I was still signing on at the time of receiving the refund.
Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
Closed Thread