Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 1
  • lv9783
    • 18th Apr 09, 1:46 PM
    • 18th Apr 09, 1:46 PM
    hi we are using eon and think your right night rate is the stupid times of 12 til 5 or something, have you found your unit consumption has gone up considerably with them?
    • SwanJon
    • By SwanJon 18th Apr 09, 4:14 PM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    • 18th Apr 09, 4:14 PM
    • 18th Apr 09, 4:14 PM
    The time isn't set by your supplier - it's set by your region, and may change with GMT/BST
    There was a thread on here asking a very similar question.

The tariff was set up for those using night storage heaters, so it's not that stupid - not much electricity used at night, but not worth tunring power stations off, so offer it cheaply.
    Depending on your tariff you need to use at least 20%-60% of your electricity at night to make it cheaper - without storage heaters this can be very difficult.
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 20th Apr 09, 8:48 AM
    • 20th Apr 09, 8:48 AM
    Hi markdeer2004,

The times do depend on your region, as they will differ from area to area.

If you can let me know your area I can let you know your times.

SwanJon is right you do need to use enough energy on the night rate to make it benificial to have economy 7 prices.

ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

1,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • While I oft bemoan Xmas being a retail festival. It's strange today many are bitter that shops are REDUCING prices, usually its the opposite

• And leave people held hostage to high Xmas prices? Our tradition was Xmas discounts spread in Nov/Dec not on one day

• John Lewis website is down - its price matching black friday deals. Maybe its a good day to buy cheap extra servers?

• Follow Martin