Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Hatster
    repairing cast iron gutters and drainpipes
    • #1
    • 15th Apr 09, 5:34 PM
    repairing cast iron gutters and drainpipes 15th Apr 09 at 5:34 PM
    I'm hoping to repair a lot of rather elderly cast iron gutters and drainpipes - I can't see any actual holes, but they are quite rusty and in need of repainting.

    Listed building, so replacing with plastic is not much of a solution here!

    Is there any easy (or easier) way to go about renovating them? As far as I can see, they would need taking off the roof, getting the rust off, repainting and then putting back up again. Sounds like a fair amount of work...
Page 1
  • savemoney
    • #2
    • 15th Apr 09, 5:41 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Apr 09, 5:41 PM
    I have cast iron drainpipes/guttering.

    I have at present applied gutter sealant to prevent a leak. I will later clean gutters, remove any loose paint, and paint with Ronseal paint that can be applied to guttering and on top of rust (hammerite also do a paint that can be applied on rust). Then apply two coats of bitumen paint this is on inside of the guttering, the outside isnt too bad
  • a&akay
    • #3
    • 15th Apr 09, 6:07 PM
    • #3
    • 15th Apr 09, 6:07 PM
    I have a 1953 house with the problem you describe. However, I also have a scaffold tower with wheels that reaches all the gutters. If you feel at the very back of the underside of them you are likely to encounter a crumbly layer, ie corrosion. I scuffed this off by hand and wire brushed where accessible. I googled 'Hammerite' and bought the cheapest black 5 litre version plus lots of 3" cheap brushes, as it's not worth cleaning them, the price they are. I painted the underside and topside using plenty at the back problem area. I removed the down pipes and found most were showing signs of a 'split' down the back. I filled these with 'gun and nails' smoothed off by hand and then painted with Hammerite. All the wooden spacer bobbins were rotten so I replaced them with plastic. The nails I replaced with galvanised 10mm bolts using plastic rawlplugs. Admittedly a lot of work but hopefully not repeated in the next 10 years +.
    Last edited by a&akay; 15-04-2009 at 6:09 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,155Posts Today

7,332Users online

Martin's Twitter