Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aardvark65
    • By aardvark65 14th Apr 09, 3:11 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 114Thanks
    aardvark65
    Jobseekers Allowance - do you get free prescriptions?
    • 14th Apr 09, 3:11 PM
    Jobseekers Allowance - do you get free prescriptions? 14th Apr 09 at 3:11 PM
    Can anyone clarify please whether you automatically get free prescriptions when you are on Jobseekers Allowance? When I did a search it said Income based Jobseekers Allowance - are there different types? My brother is getting 60 a week and thinks he has to pay for his prescriptions - surely not? Any advice appreciated.
Page 1
    • i want to believe
    • By i want to believe 14th Apr 09, 3:28 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    i want to believe
    • 14th Apr 09, 3:28 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 3:28 PM
    Contributions based JSA -No free prescriptions
    Income based JSA - free presciptions
    http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcosts/pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx
    • aardvark65
    • By aardvark65 14th Apr 09, 3:56 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    aardvark65
    • 14th Apr 09, 3:56 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 3:56 PM
    Seems incredibly unfair that if you have paid NI contributions, you can't get this but if you havn't you can!! It is his only income and he has to get regular prescriptions!! I had just assumed that now he has lost his job they would be free
  • storminbalder
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:35 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:35 PM
    Seems incredibly unfair that if you have paid NI contributions, you can't get this but if you havn't you can!! It is his only income and he has to get regular prescriptions!! I had just assumed that now he has lost his job they would be free
    Originally posted by aardvark65
    You will probably be exempt on low income grounds anyway. It's just that Cont. Based JSA is not means tested, so it cannot be automatically assumed that you have a low income.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,422Posts Today

7,059Users online

Martin's Twitter