Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Money saving Diva
    Lost all the BBC channels after switchover
    • 13th Apr 09, 12:56 PM
    Lost all the BBC channels after switchover 13th Apr 09 at 12:56 PM
    Hi there

I am in Devon so we have had our digital swapover and all my freeview boxes have lost every single BBC channel except BBC1!

Is anyone else having this problem? It seems outrageous that I cannot get even BBC2 and the kids can now no longer get CBB's.

Any idea who I would contact about this?

Sorry if I sound a bit dim, I am a bit of a technophobe and thought with the digital freeview boxes I would be OK.

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
Page 1
  • AHAR
    • 13th Apr 09, 1:10 PM
    • 13th Apr 09, 1:10 PM
    Have you tried scanning for channels again?
    Maybe they've changed the frequencies at the same time?:confused:

Have a look on this site for any specific advice for your transmitter.
    Last edited by AHAR; 13-04-2009 at 1:14 PM.
  • Money saving Diva
    • 13th Apr 09, 1:38 PM
    • 13th Apr 09, 1:38 PM
    Yes, I have rescanned three times now. I get more listings for the BBC channels but no actual service, it just says 'deleted'.

Am pretty fed up.

Thank you for the link, I shall give it a read now.

Diva.
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • A Nice Englishman
    • 13th Apr 09, 1:56 PM
    • 13th Apr 09, 1:56 PM
    Have you done a 'new install' or just 'scanned for extra channels'? If not I would do so

There's lots of advice here , including instructions for specific freeview boxes
    You can find any answers you want on the Internet.It's working out which ones are right that is so difficult.
  • Money saving Diva
    • 13th Apr 09, 2:55 PM
    • 13th Apr 09, 2:55 PM
    Yes hon, I have done a new install, twice actually as I tried the day after it all changed in case 24hrs made a difference. Since the two new installs I have rescanned three times.

Thank you for the link, I am on my way there now.

Diva.x
  • greyster
    • 13th Apr 09, 3:05 PM
    • 13th Apr 09, 3:05 PM
    my mum is in devon and same thing happened, rescan is required.
  • tr3mor
    • 14th Apr 09, 2:47 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 2:47 PM
    Make sure you do a "Factory Reset" of the freeview box. Some seem to remember the old frequencies rather than the new ones.
  • BillTrac
    • 14th Apr 09, 2:56 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 2:56 PM
    Money saving Diva

I thought that there were some boxes out there that wouldnt operate correctly after the re-distribution of channels

have you tried googling your freeview model and see whats about?

Other people may be having the same problem and have an answer for you
  • andyfras
    • 15th Apr 09, 9:10 AM
    • 15th Apr 09, 9:10 AM
    I am in Devon so we have had our digital swapover
    Originally posted by Money saving Diva
    The second part of your switchover happens next week (22nd April), when you will have to do this all again.

My sister lives near Beacon Hill and some of her equipment had the BBC problem. The answer is to delete all channels before rescanning. Failure to do this may put BBC channels in the 800+ numbers.

There should be no problem with reception, as the main BBC group of channels has been boosted to ten times the power used before the switchover.
  • macman
    NB: not all of Devon has switched yet-the change last week affects the Beacon Hill transmitters and it's associated relays. If you are on the Stockland Hill transmitter then the switchover will happen in early May.
    A lot of people assume that they are getting their signal from the nearest transmitter or relay, but it's not always the case-local geography is an important factor. If in doubt, have a look outside and see which way your aerial is aligned.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
  • Unhban
    Some older freeview boxes can't cope with the number of channels available on freeview these days - they don't have enough memory to store each channel's details and don't know what to do with the BBC channels, so they put them from 800 upwards, but not in order.

I had this problem with a Grundig stb but the answer was quite simple. In the early hours of the morning freeview do automatic firmware upgrades over the air for certain stbs on a rotating basis. You can either leave your stb in standby mode overnight for quite a number of nights, or have a search on the net for when your stb's firmware upgrade is due. After that night you then do a full channel scan and all is well again.

If freeview are not going to upgrade your stb's firmware, you can either put up with the BBC channels being stored at position 800 onwards, or buy a new box.

Really, the above is a simplification of the problem... it's really down to freeview now using split NITs, the channel information has been split into two parts and the second part cannot be used by older boxes without the firmware upgrade.

Unh.
    Last edited by Unhban; 15-04-2009 at 10:42 AM.
  • Simcom
    Try this:-

1) Remove aerial from back of Freeview box.
    2) Scan for new channels. This will obviously find nothing but will erase all traces of your old channels.
    3) Plug aerial back into Freview box.
    4) Scan for new channels again.
  • topofall
    Although I use Freesat for my main TV I retuned the Freeview built in tuner with no problem. I retuned my Media Centre, Desktop PC, Laptop PC and an old Thomson Digi Box. They were all fine except for the Digibox which now has the main channels on 800 up and instead of the signal coming from the Isle of Wight it is now coming from the Mendips!

I have tried the solution mentioned above by 'simcom' but it didn't work.

What they seem to have done is move the main channels on the transmitter so they avoid 'cross channel interference' from adjacent transmitters so putting them out on weaker signals.

As this area doesn't go 'digital' until 2012 I can see Sky and Freesat picking up a lot of business!
  • A Nice Englishman
    Although I use Freesat for my main TV I retuned the Freeview built in tuner with no problem. I retuned my Media Centre, Desktop PC, Laptop PC and an old Thomson Digi Box. They were all fine except for the Digibox which now has the main channels on 800 up and instead of the signal coming from the Isle of Wight it is now coming from the Mendips!

I have tried the solution mentioned above by 'simcom' but it didn't work.

What they seem to have done is move the main channels on the transmitter so they avoid 'cross channel interference' from adjacent transmitters so putting them out on weaker signals.

As this area doesn't go 'digital' until 2012 I can see Sky and Freesat picking up a lot of business!
    Originally posted by topofall
    Pull the aerial plug out while the box is scanning the 'Mendip' channels then it won't find them and only the Rowridge (Isle of Wight) channels will be stored.
    You can find any answers you want on the Internet.It's working out which ones are right that is so difficult.
  • marrbett
    We live in Bournemouth and can't get any BBC channels on our HD ready newish tv now. The night before the switchover thingy we had all channels, the next morning, we rescan the tv and nothing from the BBC .My dh called them and they say we need a new aerial!!!! Why ????????
    Interestingly, our small tv in bedroom has a cheapy freeview box and that picks up all BBC channels since the re-scan. Go figure !!!!!
    I think its all a con- just to give aerial peeps more work!!
  • alanm
    We live in Bournemouth and can't get any BBC channels on our HD ready newish tv now. The night before the switchover thingy we had all channels, the next morning, we rescan the tv and nothing from the BBC .My dh called them and they say we need a new aerial!!!! Why ????????
    Interestingly, our small tv in bedroom has a cheapy freeview box and that picks up all BBC channels since the re-scan. Go figure !!!!!
    I think its all a con- just to give aerial peeps more work!!
    Originally posted by marrbett
    Here in nearby Ferndown we had a similar problem - new TV incl Freeview but lost all BBC after switch and rescan while computer with plug-in USB DTV thingy picked all up no problem. When I rang they told me it was the aerial too, until I pointed out that the USB-DTV was plugged into the same aerial as the TV. They tried the "old TV" excuse but we bought it 4 months ago. I refused to stop pestering them and currently they are claiming they have discovered a glitsch in their upgrade work on the Rowridge transmitter which they are now working on fixing. They reckon it will be working (as will all the BBC channels) by the end of April. All I could do was moan at them for not publicising this info and leaving it to me to chase it up. Now awaiting end of April ...
  • marrbett
    Here in nearby Ferndown we had a similar problem - new TV incl Freeview but lost all BBC after switch and rescan while computer with plug-in USB DTV thingy picked all up no problem. When I rang they told me it was the aerial too, until I pointed out that the USB-DTV was plugged into the same aerial as the TV. They tried the "old TV" excuse but we bought it 4 months ago. I refused to stop pestering them and currently they are claiming they have discovered a glitsch in their upgrade work on the Rowridge transmitter which they are now working on fixing. They reckon it will be working (as will all the BBC channels) by the end of April. All I could do was moan at them for not publicising this info and leaving it to me to chase it up. Now awaiting end of April ...
    Originally posted by alanm

Thanks for this, we have tried unplugging stuff, bought a booster, re-scanned a million times all to no avail. i guess we have to be patient til the end of April then !!!
    Sigh, I wish we'd never had a tv.....
  • barmonkey
    after the first change over i rescanned my digital tv and lost a few channels. i questioned this over in the money saving arms and was pointed in the direction of this site http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/west_country/beacon_hill
    which basicaly says that after the 2nd part of the changover happened a retune would bring all the channels back.
    i did a retune and lost everything, turned out that my 4 year old, 800 digital tv is not compatable with the new 8k broadcasts, if id known this was going to happen i would have bought a non digital one for half the cost.

if anyone is having problems, here is a list of boxes and tvs that will be useless after tha switchover
    ONdigital

Alba / Bush
    ONdigital sets STB ported inside IDTVs 1998 *

Nokia

Mediamaster 9850T Set Top Box 1998-2002 *

Pace
    DTR730 Set Top Box *

DTR735 Set Top Box *

Philips

DTX 6370 Set Top Box Nov98-Aug01 *

DTX 6371 Set Top Box " *
    DTX 6372 Set Top Box " *

Pioneer

DBRT200 Set Top Box *

DBRT210 Set Top Box *

Sony

VTX-D500 Set Top Box *

Toshiba
    DTB2000 Set Top Box *

Freeview Fusion
    FRT100 Set Top Box 2004 *

Pace
    DTVA-T (Wedge Adaptor) Set Top Box 2001 *
    DT210F Set Top Box 2003 *

Samsung
    SIRU200i (Without M suffix) Set Top Box 2003 *

Hitachi
    28WDDODTN 28" IDTV 1998-2000 *
    32WD40DTN 32" IDTV " *

D36W840DTN 36" IDTV " *

Panasonic

TX-28DT2 28" IDTV ? *

TX-32DT2 32" IDTV ? *

Philips

28DW6734 28" IDTV April-Oct 99 *
    32DW6834 32" IDTV *

32DW9625 32" IDTV 30.04.01 *
    28DW6557 28" IDTV 10.07.02 *

32DW6557 32" IDTV 10.07.02 *

Sanyo

CE28DFN1-B 28" IDTV *

CE32DFN1-B 32" IDTV *

CE28DFN2-B 28" IDTV 2004 *

CE32DFN2-B 32" IDTV " *

CE32DFN2BK-B 32" IDTV *

CE28DWN1-B 28" IDTV *

CE28DFN3-B-00 28" IDTV *
    CE32DFN3-B-00 32" IDTV *

CE30LD3-B 30" IDTV *

CE30LD3BK-B 30" IDTV *

CE27LD3-B 27" IDTV *

CE23LD4-B 23" IDTV *

CE23LD4W-B 23" IDTV *

CE27LD4-B 27" IDTV *

CE27LD4BK-B 27" IDTV *

CE32LD4-B 32" IDTV *

CE32LD4BK-B 32" IDTV *

CE27LD5-B 27" IDTV *

CE32LD5-B 32" IDTV *

Sony

28DS60 28" IDTV 1998 *

32DS60 32" IDTV " *

28DS65 28" IDTV 2001 *

32DS65 32" IDTV " *

28DX20 28" IDTV " *

32DX20 32" IDTV " *

28DX30 28" IDTV 2000 *

32DX30 32" IDTV 2000 *

28DS20 28" IDTV 1999 *

32DS20 32" IDTV 1999 *

KP41DS1 41" IDTV 1999 *

KP51DS1 51" IDTV 2000 *

KP51DS2 51" IDTV 2002 *

KD28DX40 28" IDTV 2001 *

KD32DX40 32" IDTV 2001 *

KD32DX100 32" IDTV 2002 *

KD32NX100 32" IDTV 2002 *

KD32NX200 32" IDTV 2002 *

KD36NX200 36" IDTV 2002 *

Toshiba

28WT98B 28" IDTV Feb 2000 *

32WT98B 32" IDTV Feb 2000 *

28ZT29B 28" IDTV Nov 2003 *

32ZT29B 32" IDTV March 2004 *

36ZT29B 36" IDTV October 2003 *

42WT29B 42" IDTV May 2004 *

50WT29B 50" IDTV May 2004 *
    57WT29B 57"IDTV Feb 2004

Last edited by barmonkey; 24-04-2009 at 12:47 AM.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
  • haven
    Mine is the Sanyo CE28DFN3-B which as shown on the list above is not compatable with the changeover (have lost channels 1-4) despite having the digtal 'tick' on the tv. I have contacted the shop where it was purchased (tv nearly 4 years old) as I have an extended 5 year guarantee. They didnt want to know. Does anyone know if I have any legal rights on this?

Thanks
  • john1
    Haven

I have a Panasonic which will be u/s after switchover

"Which" legal advised as my set was over 6 years old then statute barred from recovering any costs howeveras yours is 4 years then the shop would be responsible for selling none DTV compliant specification TV ( The orignal DTV spec included this upgrade change but some of the manufactures decided to ignore it in the rush to get sets to market and basically supplied none compliant equipment which should not have the digital tic mark).

I emailed Panasonic who also wasn't interested due to older than 6 years however they did agreed to refund a sum equilivant to a set top box against receipts.

You don't have to dump yout TV just get a settop box and connect to the TV

Hope this helps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Disgraceful upsell on "The Bank" on BBC2. Young woman goes in for £1,500 loan gets sold £3,000 more. A BANK'S JOB IS TO SELL NOT ADVISE!

• Facebook's the new eBay - 27 tricks on flogging stuff for FREE... http://t.co/E9jppI9cn2

• How many times have you (or your household) switched energy provider in the last 5 years? PLEASE VOTE... http://t.co/UIUfLij3Zl

• Follow Martin