Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > TV MoneySaving > Any way to make my Sky+HD box record with no subs... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Any way to make my Sky+HD box record with no subscription?
Closed Thread
Views: 13,547
# 1
spinningsheep
Old 13-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Any way to make my Sky+HD box record with no subscription?

I have Sky+HD and I simply do not use the HD, so have cancelled the £10 extra subs, I have also worked out that 90% of my viewing is on the "freeview" channels, so my question is, if I was to cancel sky and go with what will effectively be freesat, is there a way that I can still use the pvr function of my box without having to subscribe to £16 a month for Sky basic package? I know I can buy a freesat HD+ box, but I cannot afford to pay out £250 for one, and the year paying £16 on sky works out cheaper anyway!
# 2
jrmerchant
Old 13-04-2009, 4:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

hey,
sky have this thing about the sky+hd subscription for 12 months at £10 (now £9.75 as vat gone down) and after that u can stop paying for the hd subscription. this will render your hd box equavilant to the normal sky+box and u can use the record and pause features.
but i doubt if the same box can be used for freesat. as it all depends on the viewing card.
the min payment for sky is £16.50 for one mix and £1 for each additional mix.
but sky do have really nice offers on broadband and talk plans.
right now if u take sky talk with the linerental they have an offer for linerental going at 1/2 price for the first 6 months.
thus there can be a saving in other areas too with sky. they are not that bad a company when it comes to price. :-)
# 3
Phantom Flan Flinger
Old 13-04-2009, 1:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sky charge £10/month to use the recording facility if you have no subscription.
Dave.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom Flan Flinger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
spinningsheep
Old 13-04-2009, 2:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ahh so you can pay £10 and JUST have the record facility on "freeview"? Worth considering, thanks!
# 5
wayne77
Old 13-04-2009, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

OK...does this mean if I cancel my Sky subscription my Sky+ box will no longer be able to record?
# 6
Phantom Flan Flinger
Old 14-04-2009, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne77 View Post
OK...does this mean if I cancel my Sky subscription my Sky+ box will no longer be able to record?
Yes it does.
Dave.
# 7
david39
Old 14-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Here's an alternative if you are in a good-reception freeview area. I'm not saying it's the best answer, but it's certainly the cheapest -

Buy a USB tv reception plug-in for the back of your computer (about £25) and then you can record the Freeview channels onto your computer Hard Disc via Windows Media Center. You can then transfer the TV programme onto a DVD disc to watch through your normal DVD player and television.

As an optional extra, buy Video-Redo editing software off the web (another £25 approx) and then you can edit out the commercials and any parts of the programme you may not want to watch.

You can use DVD rewritables for programmes you don't want to keep and single-use DVDs for those you want to. The quality of the recording is first class.

OK - I know it takes time to do the editing, but you don't have to do it - On an unedited DVD, you can still skip through the bits you don't want to watch and you won't need to buy the editing software then. However, Video Redo seems to burn DVDs much faster than Media Center. You can use the EPG with Media Center to line up future recordings, both single shows and entire series.

I use this method. Once you've done a couple of programmes, it's very easy. A half-hour television program can be edited and transferred to DVD disc in about 10 minutes, depending on the speed of your computer. It also gives you an extra television in the house - your computer - which, if it's a laptop, becomes a portable television.

After you've bought the TV receptor, and the editing software if you choose, the only-on cost is the DVD discs. It's not an option, though, if your Freeview reception is poor, as the add-on tv-USB units are not quite so reception-sensitive as a normal TV.
# 8
Inactive
Old 14-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Or just buy a Freeview PVR.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inactive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Tesla
Old 14-04-2009, 11:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
Or just buy a Freeview PVR.
Yes, flog the Sky HD box and use the money for a decent Freeview PVR.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tesla For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
scotsbob
Old 15-04-2009, 9:15 AM

If you want to ditch Sky and go Freeview then there are many receivers e.g. "Technomate" (with or without HD depending on model) with PVR which would enable you to use a usb stick to record/playback as well as pause/rewind etc live tv.
# 11
danoh
Old 15-04-2009, 11:09 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david39 View Post
Here's an alternative if you are in a good-reception freeview area. I'm not saying it's the best answer, but it's certainly the cheapest -

Buy a USB tv reception plug-in for the back of your computer (about £25) and then you can record the Freeview channels onto your computer Hard Disc via Windows Media Center. You can then transfer the TV programme onto a DVD disc to watch through your normal DVD player and television.

As an optional extra, buy Video-Redo editing software off the web (another £25 approx) and then you can edit out the commercials and any parts of the programme you may not want to watch.

You can use DVD rewritables for programmes you don't want to keep and single-use DVDs for those you want to. The quality of the recording is first class.

OK - I know it takes time to do the editing, but you don't have to do it - On an unedited DVD, you can still skip through the bits you don't want to watch and you won't need to buy the editing software then. However, Video Redo seems to burn DVDs much faster than Media Center. You can use the EPG with Media Center to line up future recordings, both single shows and entire series.

I use this method. Once you've done a couple of programmes, it's very easy. A half-hour television program can be edited and transferred to DVD disc in about 10 minutes, depending on the speed of your computer. It also gives you an extra television in the house - your computer - which, if it's a laptop, becomes a portable television.

After you've bought the TV receptor, and the editing software if you choose, the only-on cost is the DVD discs. It's not an option, though, if your Freeview reception is poor, as the add-on tv-USB units are not quite so reception-sensitive as a normal TV.
You can always see if your TV has a computer input (VGA or DVI) on the back, then you can watch the programmes straight off the PC, saving money on the cost of the DVDs! That way you can just press fast forward and don't have to edit the ads out.
# 12
spinningsheep
Old 15-04-2009, 3:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

thanks for the freeview suggestions guys but unfortunately I have no rooftop aerial so sky or freesat are my only options! If I had a decent one installed and then went out and bought a freeview PVR, it would cost me as much as the sky does so guess I will just stay as I am. Thanks anyway. Just had virgin installed too, just the basic TV package as it came free when we signed up to their 20MB broadband and a phoneline, so means if I am recording 2 things on Sky I can watch something on Virgin, and have all the iplayer and ITVplayer services too, so I am getting the best of both worlds.
# 13
patrick0
Old 15-04-2009, 3:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm using the Foxsat HD PVR. This is one of the few boxes that gives you Freesat with HD (BBC & ITV) and a recording facility. Unfortunately it's expensive at ~£300.

They are in serious need of competition in order to lower the price -- they should only be charging half the price but are milking the market while they can.
# 14
petersandyglen
Old 15-04-2009, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick0 View Post
I'm using the Foxsat HD PVR. This is one of the few boxes that gives you Freesat with HD (BBC & ITV) and a recording facility. Unfortunately it's expensive at ~£300.

They are in serious need of competition in order to lower the price -- they should only be charging half the price but are milking the market while they can.
I agree, but there's no alternative. Having said that, the Foxsat HD is a lovely piece of kit. Try Richer Sounds they are doing it for £279 plus 5 year guarantee for £28. If you don't claim in the 5 years, they give you your money back. No brainer.
The Following User Says Thank You to petersandyglen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Tongue
Old 20-04-2009, 4:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

can any of these freesat boxes that record use the tv link/eye system?
# 16
almillar
Old 21-04-2009, 1:43 PM

As far as I know, and I don't have any TV link system, it just sits in front of the IR receiver and plugs into the SCART socket, so yes, it can be used with Freesat boxes if this is the case.
# 17
markbloke
Old 30-04-2009, 1:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The Foxsat HDR hasn't got an RF output (not many digiboxes have) so you can't distribute it round the house using a coax-cable anyway, let alone use a magic eye. You'd need to buy an RF modulator and a remote-extender to replicate that system. Either that or replace the cable with a video-sender with built in remote-extender.
Reading this signature is a waste of time
Closed Thread