Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > free bus pass and rail pass?? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
free bus pass and rail pass??
Closed Thread
Views: 9,094
# 1
ladylumps45
Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default free bus pass and rail pass??

hi, am i entitled to a free bus pass and rail card?? i am getting IB,DLA.i have a disabled badge. thankyou.
# 2
daska
Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I think the simple answer is 'no'. There is a disabled rail card that you can apply for, you pay a yearly fee and get a percentage off your fares. Otherwise there might be local schemes that you qualify for?
The Following User Says Thank You to daska For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
somebody_else
Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I believe the ruling with regard to the free bus pass is that you have to be medically unfit to drive before it is awarded. As the criteria for these things are generally set by each County Council, it would be worth giving them a call next week.
s/e
The Following User Says Thank You to somebody_else For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ladylumps45
Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

THANKYOU,i will look into it.
# 5
starchild1972
Old 12-04-2009, 1:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Bus pass you have to recieve DLA mobility component, but there usage restictions
The Following User Says Thank You to starchild1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
hilstep2000
Old 12-04-2009, 3:26 PM

I've got a blue badge and a free bus pass! I just took my DLA letter to the local information centre, and was issued with one. I have a rail pass too, but that cost me 48 for 3 years. Worth it if you use the train a lot.
You can also get a cinema pass for 5 which enables yu to two for one entry (carer gets in free).
Go to http://www.ceacard.co.uk
I Believe in saving money!!!
A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hilstep2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
McKneff
Old 12-04-2009, 3:55 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

My husband at 57 got a bus pass from our council when he was just getting long term incapacity benefit. No other criteria was required.

Now he is 64 i have been added on to his bus pass as a companion (C) as he needs help. i am not 60 yet and will get a bus pass in my own right in Ocober
Would have, or would've, not would of

Should have, or should've, not should of

Can I have, not can I get.
The Following User Says Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
daska
Old 12-04-2009, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daska View Post
I think the simple answer is 'no'. There is a disabled rail card that you can apply for, you pay a yearly fee and get a percentage off your fares. Otherwise there might be local schemes that you qualify for?
Apologies I should have been clearer - there is no single 'bus pass' that you can apply for as all councils are free to set their own requirements for eligibility. You are best off contacting your local council to see if they do run a subsidised scheme that you can take advantage of.

Also, are you confined to a wheelchair, if so you can get 50% off rail fares if you stay in your chair throughout the journey. But how that is applied is very dependent on the rail company.
# 9
ladylumps45
Old 12-04-2009, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i do use a wheelchair,yes.i didnt realise that info centres gace them out.i get dla care middle rate and high mobility. if i ring my local council they may be able to tell me their criteria for the bus pass.thankyou.
The Following User Says Thank You to ladylumps45 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
pipkin71
Old 12-04-2009, 6:00 PM

I have a free travel pass issued by our bus company which I can use after 9.30am. I would say each bus company would have it's own rules on a disabled travel pass so it's worth approaching them / looking on their website for details
We have won The laws on home education will not be changed!

School is not compulsory

Children taught at home significantly outperform their contemporaries who go to school, the first comparative study has found.
The Following User Says Thank You to pipkin71 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
pondie1
Old 12-04-2009, 6:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylumps45 View Post
hi, am i entitled to a free bus pass and rail card?? i am getting IB,DLA.i have a disabled badge. thankyou.
our local council allows either a bus or disabled railcard
The Following User Says Thank You to pondie1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
cattie
Old 12-04-2009, 7:36 PM

In my area there are certain criteria for qualifying for a disabled travel pass. If you meet this criteria the form has to be signed & stamped by a consultant before consideration can be given to the application.

My borough are known to be tough in qualifying for a disabled pass & it is easier in some neighbouring boroughs to get one.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
The Following User Says Thank You to cattie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
dilli-theclaw
Old 12-04-2009, 7:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My bus pass allows me use of all local bus services any time day or night (within the issuing county of bedfordshire) and 1/3 off on the train down to Hadly wood.

I can also use my bus pass off peak on any local bus service in England.
The Following User Says Thank You to dilli-theclaw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
McKneff
Old 13-04-2009, 4:42 PM

If you are disabled /wheelchair user and usually need someone with you ask your council about having a companion included on your bus pass, a letter C is embossed on the bus pass and is widely recognised by bus drivers
Would have, or would've, not would of

Should have, or should've, not should of

Can I have, not can I get.
The Following User Says Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
bigturnip
Old 14-04-2009, 3:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by daska View Post
Apologies I should have been clearer - there is no single 'bus pass' that you can apply for as all councils are free to set their own requirements for eligibility. You are best off contacting your local council to see if they do run a subsidised scheme that you can take advantage of.

Also, are you confined to a wheelchair, if so you can get 50% off rail fares if you stay in your chair throughout the journey. But how that is applied is very dependent on the rail company.
There is a 'single' set of rules for councils issuing bus passes, you can see the elegibility criteria here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...ort/DG_4019388

They don't differ from council to council, they are the same throughout England, Scotland and Wales.
I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
The Following User Says Thank You to bigturnip For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
daska
Old 14-04-2009, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigturnip View Post
There is a 'single' set of rules for councils issuing bus passes, you can see the elegibility criteria here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...ort/DG_4019388

They don't differ from council to council, they are the same throughout England, Scotland and Wales.
Thank you for that.

All I can say is that the criteria of my current council and the last one are applied differently as my circumstances haven't changed and their schemes are presented very differently!

As the information on the link you provided appears to allow for:
Bus passes in England

Since 1 April 2008, everyone who is eligible for concessionary bus travel in England is entitled to free off-peak travel on all local buses anywhere in England.
Local councils may offer further benefits to their residents, but these will only apply for travel in the local area, not everywhere.
Extra benefits could include bus passes being valid for travel in the morning rush hour; or for use on trams, trains or taxis. Some passes also cover a wider area, such as a county or metropolitan area.
If you live on the border with Wales or Scotland, your local authority may also have travel arrangements with the neighbouring ones allowing you to use your bus pass in these areas as well.
Check what is covered before you travel. Your local council can give you further information.
# 17
Tally-Ho
Old 14-04-2009, 10:33 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigturnip View Post

Hi,

Although what you have quoted from is the basic framework for issue of the All England Concessionary Bus Passes to Disabled People, in determining this framework into actual eligibility, the Department of Transport issued guidance into interpretation of this framework, with regard to the actual eligibility of disabled people. The DfT guidance is here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/b...tieson3561.pdf

Unfortunately, this being 'guidance', local authorities are still free to interpret this guidance as they wish, hence the differing qualifications around the UK particularly with regards to linking access to the bus pass with receipt of certain benefits.

It is similar to the Blue Badge issue where certain Local Councils issue them to people over certain ages, it is because only 'guidance;' has been issued leading to rather wide interpretations at times.

I actually work for a local authority within the Transportation Department and deal with these on a more or less daily basis (and am a disabled person myself).

Tally
The Following User Says Thank You to Tally-Ho For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
sweetiepie2121
Old 14-04-2009, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody_else View Post
I believe the ruling with regard to the free bus pass is that you have to be medically unfit to drive before it is awarded. As the criteria for these things are generally set by each County Council, it would be worth giving them a call next week.
I am entitled to get a free bus bas as I have got epilepsy.I only queried after a friend telling me about it.As he gets a free bus pass as he has got Asama.

Over 1000 pound in debt.
To many red letters.
Welfare Rights helped me out.
Now I pay a little amount each month to clear debt.
So much eaiser the pressure has been taken off me.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetiepie2121 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
amanda40
Old 14-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You dont have to medically unfit to drive in my area to get a free buss pass - blue badge holders are entitiled to one by showing their blue badge.

HTH
No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!!
# 20
black paw
Old 15-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

im registered deaf and got bus pass
the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
Closed Thread