Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    linlin
    Cost of oil central heating
    • 6th Mar 06, 3:31 PM
    Cost of oil central heating 6th Mar 06 at 3:31 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our fully researched Cheap Heating Oil guide may be helpful.

Back to the original post...

A property I may be interested in has oil fired central heating. I asked the estate agent some questions and was told the boiler is 7 to 8 yrs old, is a Camroy 2 and the current owners have had two oil deliveries in the past year costing approx £160 each. The EA forgot to ask about quantities, but I guess this has to be 2 x 500 litre deliveries

I estimate the house is approx. 1400 sq ft on one floor.

£320 pa for heating seems very low and I'm wondering if I've been told the truth or not.
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 18-02-2014 at 6:08 PM.
Page 5
    • Silent Dancer
    • By Silent Dancer 26th Jan 13, 11:12 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Silent Dancer
    Advice required!

Reading all these posts, heating systems are no clearer than mud :-(

I am looking at purchasing a village hall for conversion to residential. It curently has electric wall heaters only. I've been looking into having oil fired central heating installed as there's no gas nearby. Then I read up on GSHP and ASHPs but am none the wiser - so much choice and plenty of advertising speil.

Any advice/suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Pudster
    Oil boilers are a reliable proven technology that are easy to install and repair. The installation cost of an oil system will be a third of an ASHP and a tenth of a GSHP. With a heat pump if everything is set up correct then you may end up with a lower unit cost of heat, on the other hand a poorly specified and installed system will cost considerably more.

If the heat pump breaks then repairs can be expensive as they often require refrigeration skills.

Some useful info about relative costs of fuel is on the Energy Saving Trust website. Also look for the 'ASHP – Should do better - Must Do Better' thread on MSE (sorry can't post links as I'm new.)
    Last edited by Silent Dancer; 26-01-2013 at 3:43 PM. Reason: clarity
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 26th Jan 13, 12:12 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,228 Thanks
    Cardew

Some useful info about relative costs of fuel is on the Energy Saving Trust website. Also look for the 'ASHP – Should do better - Must Do Better' thread on MSE (sorry can't post links as I'm new.)
    Originally posted by Silent Dancer
    Thread is:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2968958&highlight=est+trial
    • ilikecookies
    • By ilikecookies 26th Jan 13, 2:30 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    ilikecookies
    Oil boilers are a reliable proven technology that are easy to install and repair. The installation cost of an oil system will be a third of an ASHP and a tenth of a GSHP. If everything is set up correct then you may end up with a lower unit cost of heat, on the other hand a poorly specified and installed system will cost considerably more.

If the heat pump breaks then repairs can be expensive as they often require refrigeration skills.

Originally posted by Silent Dancer
    Very good point. When we ditched LPG it felt rather backward to go to oil but like you say it's tried and tested. I just couldn't risk the gamble on a heat pump given the magnitude in difference of installation costs. Hopefully when the oil boiler is ready to be changed in another 10 years or so things will have moved on and I could install a heat pump with more confidence.

Repairs and servicing costs for a heat pump worried me too as gas/oil engineers are expensive enough but for niches like heat pumps you can be sure it will be even higher (labour and materials).
    • Silent Dancer
    • By Silent Dancer 26th Jan 13, 3:38 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Silent Dancer
    Very good point. When we ditched LPG it felt rather backward to go to oil but like you say it's tried and tested. I just couldn't risk the gamble on a heat pump given the magnitude in difference of installation costs. Hopefully when the oil boiler is ready to be changed in another 10 years or so things will have moved on and I could install a heat pump with more confidence.

Repairs and servicing costs for a heat pump worried me too as gas/oil engineers are expensive enough but for niches like heat pumps you can be sure it will be even higher (labour and materials).
    Originally posted by ilikecookies
    The oil boiler is likely to last at 15 years and maybe even 30 years if maintained properly. I'm not sure that the same can be said of heat pumps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,316Posts Today

7,605Users online

Martin's Twitter